PDA

View Full Version : New Detailing Rig

Pages : [1] 2

OnSite Details
01-13-2016, 09:06 AM
Hey Guys, This is my first post. Ive been a member for a few months and read a lot of these threads. Ive been waterless detailing seriously for 2 years. 2014 I invested a couple grand to get started and profited about 15k just working out of my personal vehicle with little to no advertising. 2015 I more than doubled my profits, purchased an old van to carry my stuff around...it was pretty creepy. 2016 I just purchased a 2012 Ram Sport - Quadcab that I am in the process of making into my new detailing rig. I just figured I would document my adventure on this thread. Currently, I am having a custom made vinyl wrap created, I will be taking out the back seats and creating shelving and storage. I am also constructing a sliding bed so when I drop the tailgate I can easily reach things in the back. Because I do 99% waterless detailing I don't carry any watertanks, generators, power washers etc etc. I only use water to mix with my products, in my steamer and shampooer, and to rinse wheels. Stay tuned for updates!

dmund
01-13-2016, 09:20 AM
congrats sounds like you have a nice set up,i have thought about being mobile,but I do the clay,polish,sealant etc. but more important worried about it not working out,thats why I do it from home,how was it when you first started out,any advise for this worry one....have fun keep detailing....AUTO ONE DETAILING....on facebook

Paul A.
01-13-2016, 09:32 AM
Welcome into the clubhouse OnSite! Congrats on what sounds like doing it right. Good luck with the new rig and kick some a$$!

Mantilgh
01-13-2016, 09:46 AM
Welcome to AG. Sounds like your on the right track and I hope you continue to prosper.

I too do the rinseless/waterless washes as needed and only carry my generator when I have to. It really doesn't restrict one much at all. Wash em where you can.

jarred767
01-13-2016, 11:23 AM
This is awesome, it sounds like your really going for it and have an awesome plan. I look forward to seeing your progress on the truck! Where are you based out of?

Eldorado2k
01-13-2016, 11:31 AM
Congrats on the new truck.
What's your choice of waterless wash?

OnSite Details
01-13-2016, 08:27 PM
Jarred, I live in SC, Bluffton/Hiltonhead area.

Dmund I do full service detailing as well (sealants, clay, polish, full paint corrections etc etc) I only do bigger jobs if the client owns a garage. I first started out by watching youtube videos and just keeping my prices low until I felt confident enough to charge more. Typically if you're doing real detailing and your customer is spending over $500 on their vehicle they will have a garage to go along with it. I try to stay in the upper echelon so I don't have to deal with extremely contaminated cars and uncontrolled environments.

Eldorado2k- Typically for my basic details I use EcoSmart or Backfire Waterless followed with a pressure steam to melt off any bugs/gunk and finish it with Hybrid V7 Sealant.

Thanks everyone for your support, I have always enjoyed reading threads on the forum because everyone is always so positive.

OTSDetail
01-13-2016, 11:14 PM
get it going! can't wait to get a dedicated detail rig.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
01-14-2016, 02:27 AM
Congrats! Welcome to AutoGeekOnline!

mattmann
01-16-2016, 09:07 PM
Man I wish i was as brave as most of you guys. I'm in the construction industry but would LOVE to start my own detailing shop but I am so nervous about that. We have one kid and one on the way and both have new cars and obviously a house note. Guess I could start as a hobby on the side then build it up?? And you started by watching YouTube videos?? Anyone specific? Good luck man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OnSite Details
01-16-2016, 10:09 PM
Mattmann - All I hear from you are excuses bro! I have a 1 year old boy, 2 new cars and a mortgage too, (And Im a full-time firefighter). Technically detailing is just my part-time "side job" honestly I now make more detailing than I do at my actual job. Just reinvest any money you make detailing and you literally CANT lose money! I learned most of my detailing skills watching Junkman2000 on youtube, He is awesome. I just adjusted my skills to suit my needs and made it my own. It's a learn as you go experience.

WRAPT C5Z06
01-16-2016, 11:15 PM
Mattmann - All I hear from you are excuses bro! I have a 1 year old boy, 2 new cars and a mortgage too, (And Im a full-time firefighter). Technically detailing is just my part-time "side job" honestly I now make more detailing than I do at my actual job. Just reinvest any money you make detailing and you literally CANT lose money! I learned most of my detailing skills watching Junkman2000 on youtube, He is awesome. I just adjusted my skills to suit my needs and made it my own. It's a learn as you go experience.

How is it possible to make more money detailing on the side than a firefighter???

OnSite Details
01-16-2016, 11:20 PM
How is it possible to make more money detailing on the side than a firefighter???

Im not sure how to answer that question...I would suppose hard work and a solid client base. Also firefighting isn't a job you get rich off of haha.

Dapper Don
01-17-2016, 09:34 AM
But those benefits tho...

OnSite Details
01-17-2016, 09:38 AM
But those benefits tho...

true, but we are talking about money, not benefits