PDA

View Full Version : Best end result?

Pages : [1] 2

fett701
01-12-2016, 07:06 PM
In general what would you choose as far as your best finished look?

Meguiars d151 one step or meguiars m205 finished with wolfgang fuzion?

Setec Astronomy
01-12-2016, 07:07 PM
Is this a trick question?

fett701
01-12-2016, 07:20 PM
No tricks. I am going to detail 1 to 3 cars for a person and they are used to a hand application of mothers wax and a certain price point. I am willing to meet this price point but only by using either a 1step with d151 or 2 step with m205 finished with either fuzion or collinite 915.

I am looking for the best looking finished product to continue and grow with this person. Do i go for possibly more correction but slack longevity or higher gloss?

buffdoubt
01-12-2016, 07:39 PM
If they are used to a hand wax application only, I would work with the d151.
A production one step, if you will.

fett701
01-12-2016, 08:08 PM
In theory i agree with using D151. My problem is i want to distance myself as much as possible from what he is used to while keeping my labor and parts cost down. Add that to the fact i have never been satisfied with the end result of d151. It gives shiny paint but the after appearance is just not as stunning as i would prefer.

cardaddy
01-12-2016, 08:34 PM
I'm not sure I understand what you're not satisfied with? I mean is it not giving you correction? Or is it just that you want more gloss?

As far as an AIO goes D151 is pretty hard to beat. You can use it with a heavy cut pad such as a microfiber pad, yellow pad, an orange pad, even a white pad... All depending on how hard and/or soft your paint is.;)

The protection it provides will easily match some sort of handbags application. Easily! Of course if you want even more protection you can always go over it with a decent sealant are there that be m21 2.0, Wolfgang deep gloss paint sealant, or say Menzerna Power Lock.

OTOH... If you're just looking for an excuse to try a different compound for AIO then I would not overlook picking up a bottle of FG 400 because it will cut like crazy, it will finish like crazy, and you can do that all day long. Then just top it with whatever sealant you want.

Also... I recently picked up a bottle of HD Adapt and it does everything that they said it will. It absolutely does not dust! And I tried it with everything from a heavy cut pad to a middle-of-the-road pad and got great results as far as finishing out LSP ready. The need for a heavy or pad would be if you have read that you want to get rid off in what level of correction you want.

The one trick with HD products is that you don't have to prime your pad like you would with other compounds.

There is a fine line however between not having enough of it on your pad and having too much! Because if you put too much on it it will start gumming up the face of the pad and making little gooey balls. :rolleyes: Still doesn't dust.. jist spits out gooey balls everywhere! :eek:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Mike lambert
01-12-2016, 08:35 PM
Give him more than he is expecting and explain why it costs more than a hand wax. If he doesn't want to pay more that's fine, but maybe he will tell his friends who want a little better. Worked for me.

fett701
01-12-2016, 08:44 PM
I would say gloss is what i am not happy with using d151. To me its middle of the road. If the charts are correct d151 cuts more than m205. So i should get more correction that way. M205 to my eyes produces a much glossier finish.

So to an end user who cares not about correction, but strictly looks which option would you choose?

AGOatemywallet
01-12-2016, 08:45 PM
Are you suggesting that you would charge the same for D151 as you would for M205 followed by Fuzion?

That does not make sense to me

D151 would be quicker and cost you less in product costs

AGOatemywallet
01-12-2016, 11:15 PM
So to an end user who cares not about correction, but strictly looks which option would you choose?

3M Imperial Hand Glaze

StephenK
01-12-2016, 11:24 PM
For a 1 step I would go with HD Speed. But if you wanna do a polishing step then an LSP try either HD Adapt or HD Polish/Polish+ then top that with Einszett Glanz Wax.

tdekany
01-12-2016, 11:50 PM
+1 for HD SPEED

svilleneuve
01-13-2016, 04:38 PM
+1 for HD SPEED

FUNX650
01-13-2016, 08:05 PM
I am going to detail 1 to 3 cars for a person and they are used to a hand application of mothers wax and a certain price point.

I am willing to meet this price point but only by using either a 1step with d151 or 2 step with m205 finished with either fuzion or collinite 915.
Are you going to be doing these "corrections"
by hand or machine?

using either a 1step with d151 or 2 step with m205 finished with either fuzion or collinite 915.

i have never been satisfied with the end result of d151. It gives shiny paint but the after appearance is just not as stunning as i would prefer.
Sounds like you could rule out using D151.

I am looking for the best looking finished product to continue and grow with this person. Do i go for possibly more correction but slack longevity or higher gloss?
IMO:
Claying and Polishing makes the paint smooth.
Smoothness creates the gloss.
Gloss needs to be protected with an LSP.

Bob

The Guz
01-13-2016, 08:15 PM
How about following up D151 with some D156. That will give some good shine to it.