PDA

View Full Version : Hey Geeks

HateSwirls
01-12-2016, 07:39 AM
Long time I know but wanted to say hello and to let you know my Detailing business is doing much better than I had ever hoped for.
That being said I decided to order a Rupes 15 to add to my collection of tools.
My arms and shoulders take a beating being I do paint corrections daily and as you guys know you have to keep it going.

My Flex 3401, GG6, PC and Dewalt 847x does what I need but again gets to me at times.
What really made me order the Rupes 15 over the 21 is I mostly do cars and trucks, many tight spots and thought the 21 had too much of a throw for my needs.
About two weeks ago I did a full paint correction on a 44 foot coach followed by a five slide out 43 foot 5th wheel camper using my Flex and GG6.
When I was done I had to take injections in both shoulders to help with the pain.

Three questions...

1. How much does the Rupes bog down
2. Does the washer mod help
3. Where could I get a washer for the Rupes 15?

I found the Rupes 15 on Amazon sold by Palm Beach Motoring with free two day shipping, I paid an extra $8.99 to have them overnight it to me so I'll get it tomorrow.
I'm excited to say the least.

Hope all of you are doing well.

Oh, I ordered some Rupes pads, some say to use them over other brands being they work best with the machine ?

Kevin

HateSwirls
01-12-2016, 07:53 AM

HateSwirls
01-12-2016, 07:55 AM

Sicoupe
01-12-2016, 08:40 AM
Good to hear from you Kevin! glad business is doing good my friend.

Paul A.
01-12-2016, 09:44 AM
Sorry, can't answer your questions but glad to hear from you again, Kevin. Dang...that's a LOT of machine work but those reflection shots look amazing!

DetailKitty
01-12-2016, 09:59 AM
Hey Kevin! Glad to hear it's going well.

I know Mike Phillips does NOT recommend the washer mod. Just an FYI.
Not sure about the other questions. Although that would negate #3 :)

Good luck!

Kamakaz1961
01-12-2016, 10:18 AM
I can't answer your question on the Rupes...but what I can say is that I am very Happy to hear you are kickin ass!!!!! Congrats

Mike Phillips
01-12-2016, 12:32 PM
Hey Kevin! Glad to hear it's going well.

I know Mike Phillips does NOT recommend the washer mod. Just an FYI.

Actually, that's incorrect. I've never posted anywhere that I do not recommend doing the washer mod. I leave it up to each person to make that choice.

In my RUPES how-to book I have a complete chapter on the washer mod that shows how to do it but I also start that chapter stating it's not a recommendation or an endorsement of the procedure, my information and pictures simply show how it's done.

There's a difference.

RUPES does NOT recommend the washer mod. I relay the RUPES stand on this topic because it's their tool and I represent RUPES on the AGO forum so I normally stay on message the same way I stay on message for most other companies we represent.

For what it's worth... all of the cars I've detailed in my RUPES how-to book were buffed using RUPES polishers as intended by the manufacturer. That's a professional courtesy and my style.

I've used RUPES tools with the washer mod but I can't say I've ever seen a huge difference in performance but maybe I just didn't pay close enough attention?

I do like the idea of placing some dielectric grease on the back of the backing plate to provide lubrication between it and the rubber anti-spin shroud as this prevents the rubber from wearing. This also improves pad rotation like the washer mod. I don't believe RUPES recommends this officially either as the purpose of the rubber anti-spin shroud is to maintain 50% pad rotation with 50% pad oscillation. As well as prevent the pad from flying apart if the tool is held in the air with the power on at full speed.

:)

Dylan@RUPES
01-12-2016, 04:53 PM
Great clarification Mike.

To the OP - good call on the 15, it remains my favorite tool and the one I reach for most often myself and as you can imagine we have quite the selection here at RUPES USA :)

To the washer mod, its something that does increase pad rotation by over-riding the built in anti-spin shroud. Is it recommended by us? No. Is it going to cause us to disown you? Nope. Kevin Brown did a lot of research and does great things for the industry, his washer mod is an option, plain and simple, that can or cannot be done to the end users preference.

I will say that with the 15 the pad stall "issue" is far less pronounced, its the larger stroke and pad size that causes the 21 to occasionally stall rotation in deeper curves.

With the release of the Mark II tools last month its virtually a non issue, but I would ultimately recommend you explore the options yourself. Try the tool without any changes - I suspect with a 15 you won't see the need for a washer mod, but if you do its a fast/easy change to make.

dlc95
01-12-2016, 05:47 PM
Good to hear from you Kevin! glad business is doing good my friend.

Me too, Kevin!
Very good to hear you're doing well.

I don't like the Rupes with the mod unless I'm using non-Rupes polishes and pads - which isn't often.

I do get more rotation, but it doesn't seem to benefit the result, especially when using their supplementary components. It seems to cause the polishes to dry prematurely, as well as significantly matt their microfiber. If you are going to use other products, it might work out fine for you.

CarolinasFinestDetailing
01-12-2016, 06:40 PM
Glad everything is going great Kevin!!!

Forgot to hit you up when I was in Lafayette for Christmas visiting my family.

The mod is mainly needed on the 21.

I have a 21 throw machine, Flex 3401, & GG6 tool for larger pads. I mainly pull out the Flex for heavy cutting. I use the 21 for everything else. The poor GG6 sits and gets used here and there with a brush attachment.

HateSwirls
01-12-2016, 06:52 PM
Great clarification Mike.

To the OP - good call on the 15, it remains my favorite tool and the one I reach for most often myself and as you can imagine we have quite the selection here at RUPES USA :)

To the washer mod, its something that does increase pad rotation by over-riding the built in anti-spin shroud. Is it recommended by us? No. Is it going to cause us to disown you? Nope. Kevin Brown did a lot of research and does great things for the industry, his washer mod is an option, plain and simple, that can or cannot be done to the end users preference.

I will say that with the 15 the pad stall "issue" is far less pronounced, its the larger stroke and pad size that causes the 21 to occasionally stall rotation in deeper curves.

With the release of the Mark II tools last month its virtually a non issue, but I would ultimately recommend you explore the options yourself. Try the tool without any changes - I suspect with a 15 you won't see the need for a washer mod, but if you do its a fast/easy change to make.

Thanks for clarifying Dylan.
I'll not mod my new Rupes 15, I'll give it a go.
I guess it's best to leave the well engineered unit as is.

HateSwirls
01-12-2016, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the nice words and input guys.

I plan on getting the Rupes 21 later for when I work on the large RV'S, all flat panels.