PDA

View Full Version : Sticker Residue On Toolbox

lancerplayer
01-10-2016, 10:46 PM
Slightly off topic...

I just got the Harbor Freight 5 drawer tool cart (http://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage/tool-carts/five-drawer-service-cart-95272.html) today. There is a sticker showing that the drawers have a locking feature. I removed the sticker and it left residue. I first tried "Goo Gone" with no luck. It actually removed some of the finish...very little finish was on the paper towel, but the red color was definitely on the paper towel. I then tried dish liquid soap and warm water with no luck.

Does anyone have any suggestions to safely removing the sticker residue without damaging the finish?

Thanks!

spazzz
01-10-2016, 11:08 PM
I generally use wd-40 or silicone spray for sticker residue. I have absolutely no use for goo gone.

lancerplayer
01-11-2016, 03:16 PM
I generally use wd-40 or silicone spray for sticker residue. I have absolutely no use for goo gone.

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of trying WD-40 as the next step.

Few things I have on hand:

- WD-40
- Simple Green
- Brake Cleaner
- Acetone
- Meg's Quik Detailer
- Mother's California Gold Instant Detailer
- Meg's Scratch X

Kamakaz1961
01-11-2016, 03:28 PM

So cool to see this. I will try WD-40. Goo Gone is smelly and I bet if there was a match lying around it would explode!!...LOL

asianisafish
01-11-2016, 03:34 PM
Just dab a solvent on the adhesive and wait like 10 seconds. Then dab more while running slightly

K1NGGREEN
01-11-2016, 03:47 PM
Wax and grease remover. Spray it on and let it soak for a few seconds and it should wipe right off

Real Riders
01-11-2016, 09:40 PM
Turtle Wax sticker and label remover should work

Mike Honcho
01-11-2016, 09:53 PM

De-Solv-It

It's a citrus oil. We use it at work in an industrial setting and it just works. It will leave an oily finish tho', because, well, it's a citrus oil. Your hands will smell like you've peeled a dozen oranges! And it's mom approved, too! :)

Ricorocks
01-11-2016, 11:12 PM
My 2 pennies:

Two kinds of adhesives exist: Organic or Non Organic.

Organic molecules contain C or carbon - think any oil based product, gasoline, grease, paint thinner, acetone, etc.

In-Organic molecules DO NOT have carbon - think water H20, sulfuric acid H2S04, or anything lacking Carbon.

Like removes like!!!! If the adhesive (or residue) is organic then any item containing Carbon, will be effective in removing, the adhesive.

Water based solvents, will do a very poor job at removing organic adhesives.

I do this to see which way to attack the sticky:

One 1 drop of 'Goof Off' (or any other 'organic', contains Carbon) onto the adhesive. If you feel it loosens or dissolves, continue

Should the 'Goof Off' or other carbon based solvent, have no EFFECT, then, it's water based, continue with water based solvent.

Like removes Like!

organic = Carbon = solvents = to remove carbon/organic adhesives

inorganic = water = no Carbon = solvents = to remove inorganic adhesives.

One drop & a little rub will tell you what is right solvent to use