PDA

View Full Version : s0 equivalents and which hand applicator

Pages : [1] 2 3

sansa
01-10-2016, 06:35 PM
hi everyone! are there equivalent products of scholl S0 in the market in terms of cutting power?
What kind of manual applicator is better? Foam (heavy or medium), wool, microfiber or the scholl feltpad??
Thanks so much guys!

AGOatemywallet
01-10-2016, 06:53 PM
Autopia Forum - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum (http://www.autopia.org/forums/paint-correction-and-gloss-enhancement/181138-updated-9-2015-autopia-polish-comparison-chart.html?highlight=Polish+chart)

Here is a chart you might find useful

AGOatemywallet
01-10-2016, 06:55 PM
What will you be polishing by hand?

sansa
01-10-2016, 07:11 PM
What will you be polishing by hand?

There is no s0 in the chart you posted.
I'm going to wet sand with p1500 (that is 800 USA cami grit) 3m sandpaper by hand and then use s0 to eliminate every mark. I'm going to use it by hand because I'm sure the abrasives break down with temperature so using a machine won't be good. By hand it cuts more than with polisher...

The question is: which applicator?

GSKR
01-10-2016, 07:24 PM
There is no s0 in the chart you posted.
I'm going to wet sand with p1500 (that is 800 USA cami grit) 3m sandpaper by hand and then use s0 to eliminate every mark. I'm going to use it by hand because I'm sure the abrasives break down with temperature so using a machine won't be good. By hand it cuts more than with polisher...
k
The question is: which applicator?If there's no machine involved get a terry circled applicator.I think using by hand won't yield great results,it will be strenuous and tedious work.what kind of project are you working on.

AGOatemywallet
01-10-2016, 07:42 PM
If you don't have a DA, I am guessing you also don't have a Paint Thickness Gauge

Sanding with 1500 grit is serious stuff

If it was me, I would follow with 3000 grit to save my hands, shoulders and time

Compounding out 1500 on even one panel, by hand, will be exhausting

FUNX650
01-10-2016, 07:52 PM
•I'll suggest these pads:
- Scholl Concepts Spider Cutting Pad (Heavy Cutting) 5.5 inches 2 Pack (http://www.autogeek.net/scholls-spider-140mm-white.html)
- Scholl Concepts Foam Pads (http://www.autogeek.net/scholl-concepts-foam-pads.html)

•With one of these pad holders:
- Meguiars S3HP 3 In. Professional Hand Pad
- Meguiars S6HP 6 In. Professional Hand Pad
- Wolfgang Polishin’ Pal (http://www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-polishing-pal.html)

Bob

Mantilgh
01-10-2016, 07:53 PM
I could be wrong, but don't think the abrasives in this type of compound are meant to break down. It's a "matting" compound. Rather they were probably designed to produce a uniform scratch pattern close to what our 1000 grit makes and needs to be followed up with a less aggressive compound and/or polish after to produce glossy results.

Headlights?

GSKR
01-10-2016, 08:02 PM
I could be wrong, but don't think the abrasives in this type of compound are meant to break down. Rather they were probably designed to produce a uniform scratch pattern close to what our 1000 grit makes and needs to be followed up with a less aggressive compound and/or polish after to produce glossy results.

Headlights?That compound is the bomb,cuts quick and finishes almost to a lsp.The only downside to this product and maybe a few of other products is the coloring it stains faded boat and rv.

sansa
01-10-2016, 08:06 PM
I could be wrong, but don't think the abrasives in this type of compound are meant to break down. It's a "matting" compound. Rather they were probably designed to produce a uniform scratch pattern close to what our 1000 grit makes and needs to be followed up with a less aggressive compound and/or polish after to produce glossy results.

Headlights?

Yes I know I have to finish it with s3. Im buying this product because I saw many positive comments (from people who tried it with big foot+feltpad and by hand) . Im just hesitant about the kind of pad I could use by hand ...
And I'm curious to know if it exist an equivalent product or if it is the only product in the world with these properties....

Mantilgh
01-10-2016, 08:08 PM
To find an equivalent compound you would have to search for something like;

Liquid sand paper

Extreme cut compound

Heavy cut compound

Most will be either be designed for marine use on gel coats, or for body shops and paint prep.

sansa
01-10-2016, 08:10 PM
That compound is the bomb,cuts quick and finishes almost to a lsp.The only downside to this product and maybe a few of other products is the coloring it stains faded boat and rv.

What do you mean with "it stains"?
It should be used on clear coat... Do you mean it leaves marks you cannot remove with s3?

sansa
01-10-2016, 08:14 PM

Headlights?

I read comments where someone stated it works actually like a polish. It works really aggressive during the firsts passages and then it breaks and works softer and softer. So if you use it with a polisher at high rpm it should work softer and with less precision than using it by hand because in this case you can control the amount of scratches you want to remove...

GSKR
01-10-2016, 08:17 PM
What do you mean with "it stains"?
It should be used on clear coat... Do you mean it leaves marks you cannot remove with s3?
when working on a faded gel coat the color dries in the oxidation.if your working on a basecoat clearcoat this promblem doesn't apply to you.

sansa
01-10-2016, 08:18 PM
To find an equivalent compound you would have to search for something like;

Liquid sand paper

Extreme cut compound

Heavy cut compound

Most will be either be designed for marine use on gel coats, or for body shops and paint prep.

That's right. This is the reason why I'm asking here. I would love to find an automotive product and not a product for fiberglass...
I'm hoping that there's someone who has some experience with this kind of liquid sandpaper