PDA

View Full Version : MF Towel Test

musclecar22
01-10-2016, 02:46 PM
Having time to kill in an airport, I recently viewed a few videos on youtube from Junkman2000. One regarding the microfiber towel quality intrigued me so I tried it. Just hold your hand palm up waiter style and drag a MF towel across it. The cheapies drag like velcro, the good ones glide right across.

Not going to call out any manufacturers, but wow, major demotions for many, many of my towels. And no they are not from wally world, costco, etc. Real wake-up call. Sure most of you knew this but I've never read it, may help fellow newbs choose towels.

Cheers

Ricorocks
01-10-2016, 03:16 PM
This should help, or be clear as mud. But an email is supplied to ask the author.

Microfiber Towels — What You Should Know About Them | Auto Laundry News (http://www.carwashmag.com/issues/feb-2011/detail-management.cfm)

StephenK
01-10-2016, 03:19 PM
What if your hands are dry and rough?

Bunky
01-10-2016, 03:24 PM
Another source (and others too) says this:

There are several tests you can preform to determine the quality of a microfiber towel. First, rub it against your skin and feel how soft it is. Does it grab at the imperfections of your skin? If so, this is a good thing and means the towel is made from split microfiber. Split microfiber is unique in having an asterisk shape, which grabs and traps dirt unlike the cylindrical shape of traditional cotton towels. Non-split microfiber is no more effective at grabbing and trapping dirt and dust than a cotton towel. High quality towels will always be made of split microfiber.

musclecar22
01-10-2016, 03:25 PM
What if your hands are dry and rough?

Ya, we thought of that when we returned and did our test and a guy with 60 grit hands tried it and still a big difference.

musclecar22
01-10-2016, 03:31 PM
Another source (and others too) says this:

There are several tests you can preform to determine the quality of a microfiber towel. First, rub it against your skin and feel how soft it is. Does it grab at the imperfections of your skin? If so, this is a good thing and means the towel is made from split microfiber. Split microfiber is unique in having an asterisk shape, which grabs and traps dirt unlike the cylindrical shape of traditional cotton towels. Non-split microfiber is no more effective at grabbing and trapping dirt and dust than a cotton towel. High quality towels will always be made of split microfiber.

I've heard that and that is very interesting. So this suggests the splitting of the MF causes the grabbing, not the quality itself. I have a lot to research and learn. Having all black vehicles I am very particular what touches them to minimize corrections.

Ricorocks
01-10-2016, 03:33 PM
That drag you feels, speaks to of the ability to clean or remove dirt, to the MF. This is why you can use MF's for cleaning without chemicals. The gliders are not good at capturing dirt. And would be more suited for mops & furniture.

Also this speaks to why "hot water" should be used on dirty MF's one reason is hot water EXPANDS or SWELLS fibers, thus loosening the fibers grip on dirt, so detergents can easily remove in the rinse. Fibers expand dirt remains the same size.

musclecar22
01-10-2016, 03:36 PM
This should help, or be clear as mud. But an email is supplied to ask the author.

Microfiber Towels — What You Should Know About Them | Auto Laundry News (http://www.carwashmag.com/issues/feb-2011/detail-management.cfm)

Great info. Seems the split is best used for cleaning ie Garry Dean style washes and non-split would be best used for products like Meg's Last Touch.

AGOatemywallet
01-10-2016, 04:13 PM
Also this speaks to why "hot water" should be used on dirty MF's one reason is hot water EXPANDS or SWELLS fibers, thus loosening the fibers grip on dirt, so detergents can easily remove in the rinse. Fibers expand dirt remains the same size.

Where did you read that? Please link to it.

I think it has more to do with Chemistry than Physics.

I will add that the majority of cleaning done by a MF towel is accomplished by the structure (looks like an asterisk *), not the tip of the fiber.

Ricorocks
01-10-2016, 05:06 PM
User Tips & Care

Thorough Cleaning: All microfiber towels from The XXX Company are machine washable. In general, microfiberloves hot water which enables the fibers to swell and release trapped dirt and other matter. However, do not exceed 140⁰F at the risk of damaging the fibers leaving them much

From an AGO competitor (XXX not the name)

I think it has more to do with Chemistry than Physics.

The two disciplines are kissing cousins, heat does cause things to expand or swell, molecular activity increases, more energetic molecules push to expand. cold water > boiling water expansion (more heat) steam. Like wise MF's fibers expand, where MF's grip, on dirt is loosened, allowing detergent, water & agitation to dislodge from MF to water detergent.