PDA

View Full Version : Gas leaf blower?? Any experience with 1?

Pages : [1] 2

Daviddear30
01-10-2016, 02:46 PM
I'm kind of tired of getting an extension cord out just for the drying process. I have tried towels and those are great but I prefer my current leaf blower because it gets water out of the crevices, mirros, etc. When I towel dry the next time I drive water comes out of hiding leaving Mr with spots.

Has anyone used a gas leaf blower? Looking for people that have actually used one not the guys just assuming they leave crap on the car due to exhaust. I know a few guys on youtube use them with success but I'm looking for some OCD autogeek guys that have tried one.

Thanks for any feedback :-)

Mike lambert
01-10-2016, 03:12 PM
The exhaust is oil and gas mixed, so you decide

GSKR
01-10-2016, 03:16 PM
Buy a metro sidekick if you can,it's not overkill pinpoint accuracy lightweight plenty of power and no emissions and best of all its on sale.I did the leaf blower thing only on my personal car till I got a little gas in my eye from moving it around.

Daviddear30
01-10-2016, 03:30 PM
Do all of them route the gas into the blower tube?

BrutalNoodle
01-10-2016, 03:32 PM
I'm kind of tired of getting an extension cord out just for the drying process.

I know what you mean. Not to mention the annoyance of the cord dragging/hitting/tapping against the vehicle, not matter how careful you are.

Take a look at the rechargeable units like the Echo & EGO. You can get them from any of the big home improvement stores for around $180 or less. I have a Makita XBU02Z (slightly over $200), but I have this line of cordless already, so it's a no-brainer to go this route as I have plenty of batteries and chargers on hand. It's an amazing unit. No gas mixing and fumes to worry about, and of course, no cords to drag around.

Daviddear30
01-10-2016, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the tip.
I actually tried a ryobi 18v cordless and it wasn't very powerful. I returned it. I saw they have some 40 volt ones with much higher cfm ratings, but I'm leary of cordless after my ryobi one :-(

BrutalNoodle
01-10-2016, 03:53 PM
I'm leary of cordless after my ryobi one :-(

Again, know exactly how you feel. :laughing:

Here's a vid of the Ego.

EGO 56v Turbo Blower - 480 CFM Cordless Lithium 3-Speed - YouTube

Would be cool if AG sells this. They do stock the smaller cordless Makita unit, but not the larger 36V I mentioned.

FinishingTouchA
01-10-2016, 03:55 PM
I use this one GreenWorks Pro Cordless Leaf Blower (http://amzn.to/1P0vPij)

Battery charges in a half hour and I can dry 2-3 vehicles or blow my entire 3000sq ft parking lot with it on one charge. It's comparable to a smaller gas blower. I've thought about modding the blower tube to a smaller tip (more velocity?) but I like using it as an actual leaf blower as well (something you can't do with a car dryer tool).

Mods, if posting leaf blowers is against the rules I'm sorry and please remove.

Daviddear30
01-10-2016, 04:05 PM
Thanks I'll look into that one as well. Looks good in the video

04accord
01-10-2016, 04:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nirkRQZvpa0

Eldorado2k
01-10-2016, 04:13 PM
That Ego blower looks pretty sweet, but dang it's pretty expensive for just a blower.. 480 CFM wow that seems insane.. My 6hp Ridgid Vaccum states 168 CFM and it blows nice and hard when connected to the exhaust port. I like using it to sweep the patio and clear the driveway prior to detailing a vehicle. Even though the numbers seem far apart, I'm curious how it compares to the blowing power of that Eco.. I'll be calling Ridgid to find out.

I also have a Master Blaster Sidekick which I use for the cars, but the vacuum blows stronger.

Btw, I hate dragging out the extension cord too.

Eldorado2k
01-10-2016, 04:15 PM
@04accord. Is that you in the vid?

Daviddear30
01-10-2016, 04:24 PM
I've seen Matt's video that was one of the ones that has me leaning towards a gas blower.

04accord
01-10-2016, 05:34 PM
@04accord. Is that you in the vid?

no just some guy I'm subscribed to on youtube

Eldorado2k
01-10-2016, 05:39 PM
no just some guy I'm subscribed to on youtube

Right on. I've seen some of that dudes vids, so I was just curious if it was him posting😃