PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars Mirror Brite Wheel Cleaner REVIEW

Pages : [1] 2 3

dcjredline
01-09-2016, 02:18 AM
I may not have been the first to get it (DANG IT) but I am the first to get to use it. Today I have in a Volvo XC90 for a detail. I decided this would be a great first victim for Meguiar's newest wheel cleaner!!!

FROM PRODUCT PAGE:
Safely clean all types of wheels!

Meguiars Mirror Bright Wheel Cleaner is NOT your grandpa’s wheel cleaner! Formulated to clean all types of wheels, as well as dissolve embedded iron particles, Meguiars Mirror Bright Wheel Cleaner is the product that LOOKS old, but is actually anything but. The pH balanced formula is safe to use on brake components as well as wheels, making Meguiars Mirror Bright Wheel Cleaner extremely versatile!

Meguiars Mirror Bright Wheel Cleaner is part of the vintage Mirror Bright line. Emulating the bottle design of some of the first Meguiars products, the bottles are unique and totally different from anything else you have on your shelf. And even better than that? They actually work! Meguiars Mirror Bright Wheel Cleaner can be used on your chrome, polished, powder coat, anodized, and even painted wheels - all that’s left behind is a clean surface.

Unlike many other wheel cleaners out there, Meguiars Mirror Bright Wheel Cleaner is not harsh, and will not harm paint or trim should they come into contact. Using Meguiars Mirror Bright Wheel Cleaner is as easy as spraying the product on, using your favorite wheel cleaning brush to remove stubborn dirt and dust, and then rinsing away with a jet of water!

Keep wheel cleaning simple with Meguiars Mirror Bright Wheel Cleaner.

22 oz. $7.99

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/meguiars-mirror-bright-wheel-cleaner-in-stock-1.gif (http://www.autopia.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=6294&title=meguiars-mirror-bright-wheel-cleaner-in-stock-1&cat=500)

Here is the before. They werent terrible in my mind but bad enough.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/medium/XC901.jpg

Tools used were Wheel woolies large and medium, Mothers wheel brush, Tuff Shine tire brush, and carrand lug nut brush.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/medium/XC902.jpg

Beauty shot a little closer and product highlight!!!!!!
http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/medium/XC903.jpg

My opinions and some answers to questions others here will probably ask.

Sprayer - Nice foaming sprayer that laid on just the right amount of product.

Cleaning ability - I would give it an 8 fairly easily cleaned these wheels.

Smell - Had a slight smell of Iron-X or Sonax wheel cleaner but not as bad, there was also a tiny hint of maybe cherry in there which helped.

Color change - Sprayed out white, It did not change colors enough on these wheels to capture with my camera really. I was bummed but there just may not have been iron on them.

One negative: The bottle must be slippery compared to others I use (or I am just not used to this shape and material) because I dropped it 3 times. That being said the bottle didn't break and it was about 42 in the garage.

Compared to others: Usually I would have gone to either PB Spray & Rinse or Meguiar's Non-acid wheel and tire and aluminum wheels like these usually come out a bit brighter. I don't know if these would have but I was expecting some more POP from the cleanliness of the wheel like I am used to.

I would say other than that the Meguiar's Mirror Brite Wheel cleaner did just as good of a job cleaning the wheels, and knowing its safe for all types of wheels and may be available locally soon is a big positive in my book.

DBAILEY
01-09-2016, 05:49 AM
Other that the color being white and not fluorescent yellow, do think its the Dub Wheel cleaner repackaged?

GSKR
01-09-2016, 08:24 AM
How many wheel cleaners do we really need. It's all about choices and branding I guess.for me I've been using the same wheel cleaner for decades and no agitation required.If you have to agitate you are wasting time on the detailing process.

Setec Astronomy
01-09-2016, 08:30 AM
How many wheel cleaners do we really need. It's all about choices and branding I guess.for me I've been using the same wheel cleaner for decades...

Yeah, but that's the difference between a pro (you) and someone who is a hobbyist (half or more of the people on this site, and 100% of the people that will buy this wheel cleaner). Wasn't someone in another thread commenting about one of the bulk product mfrs and how their catalog hasn't changed in the last 10 years? That's because they sell to pros who use the same product for decades.

As you noted it's about choices and branding in consumer products.

GSKR
01-09-2016, 08:58 AM
For 10.00 by the time you get it to your door or more,you can easily blow thru that bottle on one car.so you are correct maybe good for weekend guys,but not for guys that blow thru 10 or more cars a week where time is crucial of no agitation.

WRAPT C5Z06
01-09-2016, 09:02 AM
This product line is GEARED for consumers, not people who like to try different types of wheel cleaners. For example, a co worker of mine is just getting into detailing and came across this line and was very intrigued by it. Good job of marketing. I'm sure he'd be more than happy with this wheel cleaner.

Setec Astronomy
01-09-2016, 09:02 AM
For 10.00 by the time you get it to your door or more,you can easily blow thru that bottle on one car.so you are correct maybe good for weekend guys,but not for guys that blow thru 10 or more cars a week where time is crucial of no agitation.

That's what I'm saying, man, you gotta tune your perspective--probably only 25% or less of the membership is a full-time detailer like you. Half or more are just hobbyists, and the other quarter are guys who do some work on the side for kicks or to use up all the "flavor-of-the-month" products they've acquired, or just because they can and tend to cater to a more niche market where they can use boutique products.

Setec Astronomy
01-09-2016, 09:05 AM
This product line is GEARED for consumers, not people who like to try different types of wheel cleaners. For example, a co worker of mine is just getting into detailing and came across this line and was very intrigued by it. Good job of marketing. I'm sure he'd be more than happy with this wheel cleaner.

I see some of it as a simplification, since there are just 5 products. Clearly the "old school" packaging is partly to attract people who stand in the detailing aisle scratching their head trying to pick out a "wax" or a "polish" and to whom nanotechnology is an unnecessary complication.

asalesagent912
01-09-2016, 09:31 AM
How many wheel cleaners do we really need. It's all about choices and branding I guess.for me I've been using the same wheel cleaner for decades and no agitation required.If you have to agitate you are wasting time on the detailing process.
I would love to know what is that magic wheel cleaner you use that don't need agitation.
I have tried a lot of different wheel cleaners and have not seen one that don't need some kind of wheel brush to agitate.

Setec Astronomy
01-09-2016, 09:35 AM
I would love to know what is that magic wheel cleaner you use that don't need agitation.
I have tried a lot of different wheel cleaners and have not seen one that don't need some kind of wheel brush to agitate.

I'm sure he's using an HF/ABF wheel cleaner and a pressure washer. To me it's not magic but tradeoffs, and me personally I would never use that kind of wheel cleaner outside of a controlled industrial setting, but that's just me, and plenty of people do it.

StephenK
01-09-2016, 09:35 AM

It surprises me your lungs have not failed yet. Especially wheel cleaners but if there is no agitation needed then that is a product not safe to be breathing

GSKR
01-09-2016, 10:33 AM
That's what I'm saying, man, you gotta tune your perspective--probably only 25% or less of the membership is a full-time detailer like you. Half or more are just hobbyists, and the other quarter are guys who do some work on the side for kicks or to use up all the "flavor-of-the-month" products they've acquired, or just because they can and tend to cater to a more niche market where they can use boutique products.
Completely understandable.

GSKR
01-09-2016, 10:38 AM
It surprises me your lungs have not failed yet. Especially wheel cleaners but if there is no agitation needed then that is a product not safe to be breathing

Totally agree,can't look back now just forward using protective measures.Ive read somewhere on line that silicones may cause lymphoma so since then I started new safety measures.

Setec Astronomy
01-09-2016, 10:48 AM
Totally agree,can't look back now just forward using protective measures.Ive read somewhere on line that silicones may cause lymphoma so since then I started new safety measures.

Yeah, it's such a weird dynamic with safety equipment, when you've had problems it's too late, people who haven't are a hard sell, etc.

I hadn't heard that about silicones but I would guess that's more from an implant perspective? Not sure that inhalation is much of a hazard, there are silicones in some food products and I'm pretty sure that's considered safe.

AGOatemywallet
01-09-2016, 11:34 AM
[QUOTE=GSKR;1335943.If you have to agitate you are wasting time on the detailing process.[/QUOTE]

How are you getting dirty wheels clean w/o agitation?