PDA

View Full Version : Tire Coatings(Revamped)

Pages : [1] 2

willowcat11
01-08-2016, 01:31 AM
Hey guys,

I did read through the recent thread on the TW vs. DP tire coatings. I appreciate the work that was put into that test and the comparison.

Now this has nothing to do with the person who did the test. This only my opinion, but I'm just not a big fan of turtle wax products. I used them in the past along with armor all products, and I just had too many bad experiences to even look back. This TW coating may be a solid product. It may not affect the tire long term. But I personally am not going to even think about giving them another opportunity now prove otherwise. For me, it's not worth my time.

That being said, I was hoping more people who have used DP Tire Coating could chime in. What have you're experiences been with DP Tire Coating?

I know that test on the other thread showing DP vs. TW came out with certain results over a certain amount of time.

Do you feel the DP Coating does last that long, or longer in your experience?

Thank you all, and look forward to the responses!.

Ray

Eldorado2k
01-08-2016, 01:41 AM
But I personally am not going to even think about giving them another opportunity now prove otherwise. For me, it's not worth my time.

That's too bad, because the TW Tire Coating is the best 1.

The Guz
01-08-2016, 01:43 AM
I have a review of DP coating on here. I'm sure you can find it. DP is a great product.

Be aware that it is recommended to use the DP tire cleaner before using it. TW doesn't have that recommendation. Is it the best one? That's all personal preference.

FinishingTouchA
01-08-2016, 01:51 AM
I do have one question, in case anyone who has experience does happen to chime in..
My tires have seen A LOT of solvent based dressing (nearly every week), is the DP tire cleaner aggressive enough to remove all remaining residues to ensure proper adhesion? I just ordered 2 bottles of the coating and 1 gallon of the cleaner on the BOGO sale so maybe I'll be the first to test this... will be sure to post my results :)

Dannyk
01-08-2016, 05:56 AM
The TW product for me works great. Some mention of when applying and getting on the wheel,but if wiped off right away with a moistened cloth it will be removed.

DBAILEY
01-08-2016, 06:55 AM
I have been using the DP tire coating for about 1 year now and I can not fault it. It really does last for months. Just don't apply it to cold tires.

I have used Westley Bleeche-White prior to the DP cleaner to tackle some nasty solvent based dressings. Not because I didn't think the DP could handle it, but because I am cheap and did not want to use too much of the cleaner.

PiPUK
01-08-2016, 10:16 AM
A good strong APC should be sufficient to clean away old dressings. The key is recognising when you have got the tyre clean rather than partially clean. The trick is to keep scrubbing until the rinse water has zero tendency to bead - the water should 'stick' to the tyre. Once you have the surface hydrophillic like this, you will be ready to go with most tyre coatings.

roguegeek
01-08-2016, 11:38 AM
Be aware that it is recommended to use the DP tire cleaner before using it. TW doesn't have that recommendation.

It actually does. "Step 1: Clean tires first with Turtle Wax® Superior Tire Cleaner, provided in the kit." The kit comes with the cleaner.

The Guz
01-08-2016, 11:50 AM
It actually does. "Step 1: Clean tires first with Turtle Wax® Superior Tire Cleaner, provided in the kit." The kit comes with the cleaner.

That's true given the fact that the cleaner comes with it. From personal experience the cleaner is on the weak side. I've cleaned the tires with Meguiar's D143 and then applied TW and I have had no issues. DP is a little bit more finicky when it comes to bonding to a completely clean tire. The DP tire cleaner still pulls stuff even after cleaning with Meguiar's D143.

Eldorado2k
01-08-2016, 11:59 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if the TW tire cleaner is a bit underrated. I usually clean the tires with either D143 or Super Degreaser but follow up with the TW tire cleaner as a last step for OCD purposes.

Reason I say it might be underrated is because it claims to be able to remove the Endura Tire Coat. I've yet to actually try that, so I'll just have to take them at their word.

What I do know for certain is that D143 cannot remove the Endura Tire Coat, which is great because that's what I use to clean the tires of any surface dirt and reveal the tire coat.

Paul A.
01-08-2016, 12:00 PM
I understand where you're coming from, willowcat. I, too, have some prior experiences with products i most likely will not go back to but remain open minded about everything in life. TW, like Armor All, is one of those products that i shun because of so many other names being, in my mind, so much superior.

Having said that, there are those few instances when the manufacturer steps up due to a motivation to gain (or regain) some of what they think should be their market share of sales. I thank those superior brands for that motivation and wait for that previously shunned brand to prove themselves again. My barometer of that? AGO folks right here. And hearing so much about the TW tire product has me curious again. I will say that only this tire product has piqued my interest, the remainder of their line remains...oh, shall i say "questionable".

This industry is very competitve based and that's a good thing.

(EDIT - whoopsie. Just searched the "store" and they don't carry any TW products. NEVERMIND ALL THAT!).

Eldorado2k
01-08-2016, 12:04 PM
The only brand I'll never try again is Rain X.

FinishingTouchA
01-08-2016, 01:01 PM
The only brand I'll never try again is Rain X.

Interesting, back in April last year I used RainX on every window on my pickup and they still all bead water surprisingly well. The windshield has lots a little bit of beading ability but still impressive compared to the PBL window coating I put on my friends 4Runner.

swanicyouth
01-08-2016, 07:12 PM
Unlike most people here - I'm very closed minded. I prefer to support companies who make a complete line of real detailing products and are involved intimately with the detailing community - like PBMG. I can't stomach buying stuff from companies like Turtle Wax.

That being said, I haven't used DP tire coating. But, I have used Tuff Shine for years - and it's been reported the products are similar. So, here are some f'reals:

1. Tire coating don't look as good as high quality dressings, but they last much longer.

2. APCs or "Bleche Whites" (what is "bleche"?), are not sufficient to clean the tire initially if you want GUARANTEED success. Cleaning tires that have had a lot of previous dressings applied is difficult - even with the correct cleaner. Plan on a whole afternoon and more than 16oz of cleaner to do the job.

However, the correct cleaner can be diluted 1:1 with water and used in a foaming sprayer to go significantly farther.

A good strong APC should be sufficient to clean away old dressings. The key is recognising when you have got the tyre clean rather than partially clean. The trick is to keep scrubbing until the rinse water has zero tendency to bead - the water should 'stick' to the tyre. Once you have the surface hydrophillic like this, you will be ready to go with most tyre coatings.

This has not panned out to be true.

Eldorado2k
01-08-2016, 07:25 PM
@Swanicyouth. I disagree. Here's a perfect example. I did a test on a set of extremely uncooperative tires [Michelins] which I hadn't been able to achieve any kind of longevity on no matter what tire dressing/coating I applied...

On this perticular test, the front tires got TW Endura Tire Coat.

And the rear tires got Meguiars Hyper Hyper Dressing@1:1

The Guz can confirm I did this test..
Both look equally good, with the only difference being the TW Endura lasted a bit longer. Yet I was still unable to achieve the normal month[s] longevity on these tires.

Don't knock it till you try it...