PDA

View Full Version : Story about my new polisher

Pages : [1] 2 3

JWilliams.RadiantDetail
01-07-2016, 10:11 PM
I will say this post is going to be long and rambly, but a good write up on the awesomeness which is AGO and how amazing the forum members are. Since many won't read it all (and I don't blame you lol) I will summerize it up for the TL:DNR crowd.

Posted how I bought a whole bunch of buffing supplies in anticipation of getting my 1st buffer, but I overspent and ran out of $$$ before I was actually able to order a buffer *lol*

Member on here who I don't know PM'ed me saying he read about my overspending and asked which buffer I wanted and offered to buy it for me.
I took his serious and told him what I wanted
Less than a week later a FREAKING G15 new in the box shows up at my door.

It's a good, hart warming New Years/Christmas'y story, it's not made up. And it involves detailing :)

I've been on the internet since 1995, I have come across people from all spectrum of life. I'm active on a few other forums, and I have to say the people on AGO are by far the most nice and helpful of them all.

Other forums if you ask a question that's been asked? attack attack attack! While I understand frustrations with people too lazy to use the search function, you don't see that here. I bet every single day some new person posts a new "Hay, what's a good rinseless wash?" or "Hay how do I wash my Microfiber Towels?" literately every day you see the same stuff posted.

At worst the people on here will point them to another of the same threads. The patients level here's truly awe inspiring lol. Any ways, back to my story it's about the member who I won't mention by name that bought me the polisher. He's proof that the calibure of people on here is a totally different level than most other forums.

I posted in a thread about new years resolutions. My resolution was to get a polisher to ring in 2016, and I had saved up money to get my 1st DA, but ended up going overboard on pads, polishes, compounds & polishing towels and was broooooke. My resolution was to be more financially smart. It was posted with pretty clear sarcasm. The way I looked at it, before I even started buying stuff, I knew it would end 1 of 2 ways.

1. I have the buffer, but not everything else needed to use it

2. I have pads, polishes & compounds but oooops, no polisher to use them with lol.

#2 it was, anyways out of the blue I got a PM from someone I don't know and had never really had direct contact with. It said hello and asked which polisher and he would buy it for me.

Now in my 21 years online I've dealt with too many wishy-washy people to even keep track. Had I got this message on other forums I frequent, I would have rolled my eyes and laughed it off with a "yeah right!" On here I've seen posts from people who post about having a scratch they want to get out but don't know how. And having people reply "where do you live?" and someone who lived closed offered to spend their entire Saturday with them helping them buff it out and giving them lessons on how to correct paint, or whatever, Not for money or anything, just out of the goodness of their heart.

While people like that do exist, you just don't often see many around. On here there's a decent amount though. I don't know what it is, but detailers seem to be more giving when people are in need or have questions. They also seem to be much more willing to share their knowledge and wisdom. I know for me, I'll take 15 minutes out of my work day to educate someone on detailing to keep them from getting scammed by hack detailers. Or just to share the little bit of of knowledge I have.

It wasn't until I got my 1st convertible sports car a few years ago that I really started to get into detailing. And now I know it's something that's in my blood. While I know I don't know A LOT, my 6.5/10 compared to the pros on here is a lot higher than most people I talk to in the real world who might be a 2 or 3/10. I'm always educating people about dealers "free wash" with a car service lol.

Anyways, so I read the PM, and even knowing the type of people on here, it still seemed a bit over the top. While I didn't disbelieve what was said, it was a hard to imagine this offer, especially from a total stranger. My good friends wouldn't be this nice lol. There's nice, then there's wow, wait what? Even if the PM was for real, it was just way out in left field for me.

I contacted them back with the mind set he was being honest and said how amazingly gracious the offer was. And that I didn't know what to say. It it was legit how do I respond to a stranger? "Yeah, I want the Griot G15 21 kit!" I never ask for things, so I'd have a tough time asking for Harbor Freight DA from someone I know lol. I said I had been pondering and wasn't even 100% which one I would have gotten if I had the money.

I was thinking the MT300 or Torq 10fx. He replied for me to do my research and let him know. He said to not short myself and ask for what I wanted and nothing less and he was ok with whatever I asked for. Again I took him serious, so I really put some thought into it and replied The Griots BOSS G15 was what I wanted. I felt weird saying it, but he seemed genuine in what he said about anything was ok with him.

He said back was I sure? I said yes, and no longer than 5 minutes later he replied it had been ordered.

Even for AGO niceness, this seemed unreal to me. I know good people do exist, but a G15's coming in the mail for me? REALLY? I didn't have anything to lose, at worst if they weren't serious, I don't get the polisher. Which I didn't have to begin with so it's no big loss.

Well today, I get a package from and sure enough it's a freaking new GRIOTS BOSS G15! I said I took him at his word, but to actually see the polisher box in front of me made me blink about 20 times. My mind was absolutely blown. For him to do this from the goodness of his heart was beyond touching.

I'm trying to make detailing my profession and have recently drained my bank account buying up supplies lol. I have a little of everything, but no buffer. Without his help, it would have probably 3 months more before I could have been able to afford even a Harbor Freight DA. The G15's the polisher I wanted, but it was never on my list because my budget was at most $200.

There aren't words to express my level of gratefulness to him for this act. With all the negativity in the word and horrible stories I see on the news, this has given my faith in humanity a big boost.

AGO as a whole is made up of some of the best people around that's for sure. I won't forget what was done for me. And god willing, when my detailing business becomes a small enterprise. I will pay forward what was done to me onto someone here who's in the shoes I'm in right now. I have learned countless things from MANY people on here, too many to name. I still have a long way to go and a lot to learn, but these forums will always be my home.

Again to him thanks for the polisher, every time I use it I'll remember how good god is and how blessed I am. The only even remotely down side, I'm in So Cal and it's been raining since Monday and is suppose to rain the rest of the week. It hardly ever rains here, and when it does it only sprinkles for a few hours. So now I have to wait until at least Monday to get to use it. ARGH! LOL.

:)

Eldorado2k
01-07-2016, 10:13 PM
Wow

JamMaster Jay
01-07-2016, 10:49 PM
Very nice story!

OTSDetail
01-07-2016, 10:54 PM
crazy

AZpolisher15
01-07-2016, 11:21 PM
Bump. Awesome. Thanks for sharing :)

I just ordered my first polisher from AG. I've done hours, hours, and hours of research on the forum. Because of all of you that have given me your time and attention the last couple of months- I will have the knowledge to polish numerous vehicles over the next few years to pass along the kindness. I agree- this is a pretty amazing bunch here.

ScottH
01-07-2016, 11:23 PM
I am sure this kind person is also in awe with how grateful you are. Great story!

ScottH

dlc95
01-07-2016, 11:34 PM
Great story!

This is one of the best forums I've ever been part of.

JWilliams.RadiantDetail
01-07-2016, 11:34 PM
Taking the polisher box out of the shipping box I see there's a Griots detailing bag in there too! wow wow wow. This looks like a very nice bag.

Bump. Awesome. Thanks for sharing

I just ordered my first polisher from AG. I've done hours, hours, and hours of research on the forum. Because of all of you that have given me your time and attention the last couple of months- I will have the knowledge to polish numerous vehicles over the next few years to pass along the kindness. I agree- this is a pretty amazing bunch here.

thumbs up! I will find someone with a car that's really in need of a good polishing & full detail and knock it out for free. I just got my order from here today. Scholl Concepts Pads + S3 Gold, S30 & S40.

ViperGuy21
01-07-2016, 11:35 PM
Wow, this is amazing. I've had a few smaller(yet still incredibly generous)offers from forum members I don't know at all as well. I had to politely reject the offers from them because of the situation I am in, but have always been in awe of the generosity on this forum. And it's not just the regular members, it's the AG staff on here too! Paul was very generous with me a few months back through a contest, and Mike was also very generous to me over the last two weeks or so and is sending me a box of stuff for something I did that I thought was very simple, but he appreciated it and was incredibly generous towards me for it.
Here's to the best breed of people on Earth, detailers!!!

jcaustin87
01-07-2016, 11:42 PM
Pay it forward man. Pay it forward. The right opportunity for you to pay it forward will come to you, and when it does, you'll know it.

SonOfOC
01-08-2016, 12:25 AM
Great story! Despite all the terrible stories we see and read everyday, there are MANY decent folks in the world!

For me, it ALWAYS feels good to give, especially to those that may need it more. AG definitely has lots of "nice" members compared to the many other forums I visit. I mean OMG...say one wrong thing and you're nailed to cross—not so with AG forum.

Like many other AG members, I give away tons of detailing stuff just so I can buy/try more.

Again great story! Great kindness from that member! Pay it forward...

Paul A.
01-08-2016, 10:09 AM
Wow! An unbelievable act of generosity. I too love sharing this passion with others and the feeling of experiencing it with someone similar minded. When you think about it, we typically work alone and without anyone who really feels the same way about detailing. This is a wonderful story of sharing the passion and the giver probably got as much pleasure as the receiver.

I wish the whole world felt like this!

RaskyR1
01-08-2016, 11:09 AM
Great story! Thanks for sharing! :)

Zelfiris
01-08-2016, 11:15 AM
Really good story. I have always love the community at AGO for being constructive and positive.

Heisenberg
01-08-2016, 12:19 PM
That is incredibly generous. The way in which people give their time, knowledge, and in this case, money/products among the forums and in the detailing community blows me away sometimes. I'm fortunate to have won a few contests here and there and there is a high level of respect among even the longer tenured members to everyone - very rarely do I feel like people are being rude around here.

I can't say I've experienced that anywhere else as far as hobbies or other interests go.