PDA

View Full Version : Detailer Interview

fusion0389
01-06-2016, 03:56 PM
Hey guys\gals,

I'm trying to come up with a short list of questions to ask local detailers to help determine which ones use quality processes. My personal hands on experience is limited to the two bucket method. Since 99% of you have much more experience than I, what would you ask a prosepctive detailer before entrusting them with your own car? Thanks in advance for helping out a noob...

Setec Astronomy
01-06-2016, 03:58 PM
What is it that you are looking to get done to your vehicle?

fusion0389
01-06-2016, 04:15 PM
What is it that you are looking to get done to your vehicle?

Im looking for basic interior\exterior details, I like to keep my cars looking like new. I generally do washes myself in between details, but thats pretty much all I'm comfortable with at this point without getting some hands on training. I keep the car pretty clean, but it does need more attention and I simply dont have the time.

I learned alot from a guy named John who owns Hill City Auto Detail in Lynchburg, VA. He is the guy who told me about this site and attended one of Mike's classes. He will handle claying where its needed, polishing, wax/sealants, etc. He does a great job with interior work making sure the leather is conditioned properly etc. Those are the kind of things he currently helps me out with. My new job in ATL is going to force me to learn how to do all of this myself (not sure i've got the time) or find someone else who knows what they're doing...

RFrommann
01-06-2016, 05:22 PM
you should check the thread that lists members who detail part time or fulltime.

there's a few down in the ATL area.

mwoolfso
01-06-2016, 06:34 PM
Hey guysgals,

I'm trying to come up with a short list of questions to ask local detailers to help determine which ones use quality processes. My personal hands on experience is limited to the two bucket method. Since 99% of you have much more experience than I, what would you ask a prosepctive detailer before entrusting them with your own car? Thanks in advance for helping out a noob...

Well, much to your needs....

"Define and illustrate quality in your detailing please"

vanev
01-06-2016, 06:47 PM
Time factor:
If a detailer suggests to you a list of services that can be performed in an unusually fast amount of time, that is a red flag.
Now, If it is a crew of 2 or more, that is different.
But a single person working on your car will take time.

Technique:
Ask the detailer to do a demonstration on one panel of your vehicle.
If you have a very dirty panel, and he uses a waterless wash/rinseless wash, and immediately begins a wipe all over approach on the panel, that is the wrong guy.

Interior tools and machines:
Ask the detailer of he uses hot water extraction, steam cleaning machine, Tornador, wet&dry vac, etc...
If he looks at you with the dear in the headlights look, that is the wrong guy.

Advice:
The worker is worth his hire.
Find the right person.
Let them take of your vehicles.
Pay them what they are worth.
You will not regret it.

GSKR
01-06-2016, 07:04 PM
Hey guysgals,

I would find the most reputable detailers near you,then go there and sit in your car from a distance and check out the operation.To me a clean organized shop tells a lot about the operation and look at the towels,employees,clients type of cars etc.As they say,nobody will do it better than you.

GSKR
01-06-2016, 08:22 PM
Time factor:
If a detailer suggests to you a list of services that can be performed in an unusually fast amount of time, that is a red flag.

Technique:
If you have a very dirty panel, and he uses a waterless wash/rinseless wash, and immediately begins a wipe all over approach on the panel, that is the wrong guy.

Ask the detailer of he uses hot water extraction, steam cleaning machine, Tornador, wet&dry vac, etc...

Advice:
Find the right person.
You will not regret it.If a detailer doesn't have the tools you mentioned above doesn't make him a non professional.The tools listed above are to expedite the detailing process.Old school detailers have been detailing without those tools for decades.

custmsprty
01-06-2016, 08:33 PM
Start a thread asking for detailers located in Atlanta near where you'll be living as Atlanta is a large metropolitan area. This is the place I'd start as their are many great detailers here at your disposal.

vanev
01-06-2016, 09:15 PM
If a detailer doesn't have the tools you mentioned above doesn't make him a non professional.The tools listed above are to expedite the detailing process.Old school detailers have been detailing without those tools for decades.

I agree to some extent.
Old school detailers who have done this for a living for years, and who have built up a solid reputation, would in fact know what they are doing and be a true pro.

Even without the tools/machines listed, an old school detailer would at least be knowledgeable of said tools/machines.
They would be able to communicate with the customer and answer any questions regarding these tools/machines, as well as communicate why they may not be needed.

It is 2016 now.
It would only help any professional to have these tools/machines in their inventory.

fusion0389
01-06-2016, 09:41 PM
Time factor:

Technique:

Advice:
Find the right person.
You will not regret it.

Thanks for the advice, I've learned that quality costs $. When I find someone who is as obsessed with perfection as i am, I stay loyal to them and pay whatever they ask haha!

fusion0389
01-06-2016, 09:41 PM
I would find the most reputable detailers near you,then go there and sit in your car from a distance and check out the operation.To me a clean organized shop tells a lot about the operation and look at the towels,employees,clients type of cars etc.As they say,nobody will do it better than you.

Yeah you've got a point!

fusion0389
01-06-2016, 09:42 PM
Start a thread asking for detailers located in Atlanta near where you'll be living as Atlanta is a large metropolitan area. This is the place I'd start as their are many great detailers here at your disposal.

I'll do that, just need to find the right place to put it

Audios S6
01-06-2016, 11:58 PM
You can tell a lot about the quality of the detailer simply by their website and example work.

Things to look for:
50/50 photos showing paint correction
Just using the words Paint Correction
Finished photos with full sun reflections
Detailed write-ups of recent work showing things like old wax residue being removed
If they list products used you may look for the following: Blackfire, Wolfgang, Pinnacle would indicate the person knows about autogeek and likely knows high quality work. There are plenty of other brands in the same vein; if you can find their products here and think to yourself, 'damn that's an expensive brush/wheel cleaner/polish.'

Red Flags:
Using the term High Speed Buff (some good guys do still use this term)
Finished photos with swirls or holograms
Finished photos taken with a 3mp camera
If they charge $60 and say the work will take 6 hours ($10/hr)

As far as questions:

Ask what their process would be for fixing swirls: ask for details about the polisher, polish and pad, if they say XYZ will make your paint look perfect, it's probably a bad sign, if they say they would need to do a test spot, that's a good sign.

Ask about their process for specific issues you are concerned about like: How are you going to remove that mocha latte stain? If they say, I've got some formula 409 and a brush, run away. If they explain why the combination of coffee, milk and chocolate requires specific cleaners and practices, that's good news.

Both of those questions should give you a good indication of their understanding of paint (and how well they will take care of yours even when doing more basic tasks like wash and wax) and their understanding of interior materials and practices. Their responses should inspire confidence in their expertise (that is what you are paying for afterall). The reality is some detailers will be turned off by questions like this, and that's probably not the detailer for you anyway.