PDA

View Full Version : A KAIO Question

SATracker
01-04-2016, 11:47 PM
I like using KAIO on silver paint, it's just a personal preference. I mentioned in another post that I was going to use KAIO before using Pinnacle Black Label Coating. A comment made was that KAIO would leave behind a coating that would interfere with Black Label bonding to the paint.
KAIO and KS are promoted as the "Klasse twins". If KAIO would inhibit Black Label bonding, wouldn't KAIO also inhibit KS from bonding? And some guys use KAIO before applying wax, so is KAIO inhibiting the wax from bonding?
Chemically, do coatings bond differently to paint than sealants and waxes?

mwoolfso
01-04-2016, 11:58 PM
>> Chemically, do coatings bond differently to paint than sealants and waxes? <<

For the most part, yes. Coatings are like sealants in that they bond well to virgin paint or themselves. It's a guideline of sorts and some products like Opti-coat won't let anything bond to it by design.

KSG was developed to be layered on top of KAIO. KAIO is a chemical cleaner with an acryllic layer of protection built into the product (hence, "AIO"). KSG has "synergistic compatibility" with KAIO. There is a section of that here as per the buddha of detailing.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/28519-benefits-light-paint-cleaner-cleansing-lotion-pre-wax-cleaner.html

The net of it all is that coatings would work for a period of time on less-than-virgin paint; but ask yourself "why bother or even take such a risk".

FUNX650
01-05-2016, 08:09 AM
I like using KAIO on silver paint, it's just a personal preference. I mentioned in another post that I was going to use KAIO before using Pinnacle Black Label Coating. A comment made was that KAIO would leave behind a coating that would interfere with Black Label bonding to the paint.
KAIO and KS are promoted as the "Klasse twins". If KAIO would inhibit Black Label bonding, wouldn't KAIO also inhibit KS from bonding? And some guys use KAIO before applying wax, so is KAIO inhibiting the wax from bonding?
Chemically, do coatings bond differently to paint than sealants and waxes?
This is a case of where quibbling over semantics
may present itself to be a little more meaningful.

Coating(s) vs. coating:

There's the act of adding a coating...
a film/film-layer...of an LSP: which can be further
broken down into categories, and then named as
being either a Wax, Sealant, Hybrid Wax/Sealant,
and/or Coatings.

As such:
Saying that K-AIO (a Sealant/AIO) leaves
behind a coating is not "wrong".
However:
Saying that K-AIO leaves behind a film-layer
of a Sealant is perhaps "better", IMO.