PDA

View Full Version : Scratch repair

bonedr
01-04-2016, 11:11 AM
hi all. I just repaired some deep scratches on my daughters 2004 Saab this's weekend. They were on the rear side bumper they were deep and horizontal I masked the area off in a rectangle to include the scratches I filled primed sanded and spray painted when I removed the tape the rectangular area was "raised " and noticible I m satisfied with the scratch appearance,but the rectangular area is more noticible then I'd like. Any thoughts of how to have this area blend better Also I have some overspray but I read that clay is best for this All input is welcomed .Feed back please

Eldorado2k
01-04-2016, 11:14 AM
Spray painted the 2004 Saab eh? I'm interested in what kind of advice you'll get on this.

AGOatemywallet
01-05-2016, 01:02 AM
Pictures Please

They will dramatically increase the quality and quantity of feedback you receive

GSKR
01-05-2016, 07:29 AM
hi all. I just repaired some deep scratches on my daughters 2004 Saab this's weekend. They were on the rear side bumper they were deep and horizontal I masked the area off in a rectangle to include the scratches I filled primed sanded and spray painted when I removed the tape the rectangular area was "raised " and noticible I m satisfied with the scratch appearance,but the rectangular area is more noticible then I'd like. Any thoughts of how to have this area blend better Also I have some overspray but I read that clay is best for this All input is welcomed .Feed back please
Your objective was to save money I get that,try to feather those edges with the highest grade or grit you have in your arsenal,as sanding paper is relatively expensive.carefully rub the edges a little wet on step at a time,don't try to knock it all out in one pass.The paint and primer play a big part of durability for you to make it carefully acceptable.do every thing by hand no heat generated tools as this may erase or ruin your repair.as for the overspray in the area ,use clay to remove I would caution not to clay over the repair this may remove to much material on the repair itself.were not there to see what your dealing with so just take your time and use common sense and it will turn out great.

GSKR
01-05-2016, 08:24 AM
Or try to level down edges with clay,the self repaired material you applied maybe soft versus,body shop materials which are far more greater in durability and hardness.

Calendyr
01-05-2016, 05:23 PM
You need to blend the repair into the rest of the panel. This is body work info and detailers are not the best choice for that kind of knowledge. My advice would be to visit a body work forum and ask the question there. You can also search Youtube for videos on how to techniques to blend paint on a panel.

It's not super complicated to do and you should be able to find the info pretty easily.

Good luck!