PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid Sealant

llively
01-03-2016, 06:57 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but according to my research carnuba works as a protectant. It does nothing to add shine to your paint??? Allegedly it's the oils added to the carnuba that creates a deep wet look shine. If thats true then why is carnuba being added to a polimer sealant?

FUNX650
01-03-2016, 07:38 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but according to my research carnuba works as a protectant. It does nothing to add shine to your paint??? Allegedly it's the oils added to the carnuba that creates a deep wet look shine.
I won't allege, at this time, that I'm qualified
to say that's an absolute, or not.

But...Scientifically speaking:
It can stand to reason that a person can cast
doubt on the notion of absolutes, just by the
interjection of such theories as:
Relativity and Quantum Mechanics, among others.

Or, if one's feeling ambitious:
Attack this issue using the tactic known as:
"reductio ad absurdum".

If thats true then why is carnuba being added to a polimer sealant?
If it is true?
I bet it could often be, that it's added
as part of the product's "carrier system".

Bob

PiPUK
01-05-2016, 01:14 PM
Carnauba does have visual qualities but other things can be more pronounced. Simple oils can do so but lifetime is very short, silicones give massive scope for tailoring the look but give only intermediate durability, silicone polymers have much less scope but much longer lifetimes.

Imo, Carnauba plus polymer is just a durable wax product. This sort of thing has been done for decades (megs, I believe, had such a product over 20 years ago). Brands have just latched onto a new term to sell old tech (not that you can't get great results!). This being said, there are genuine hybrids out there. They use ingredients which, in a single chemical give characteristics above and beyond what is achieved by blending two simple chemicals. Unfortunately, the number of people using hybrid to mean a simple blend means it is damned near impossible to identify one of the genuinely advanced products out there.

Souldetailer
01-05-2016, 07:04 PM
I won't allege, at this time, that I'm qualified
to say that's an absolute, or not.

But...Scientifically speaking:
It can stand to reason that a person can cast
doubt on the notion of absolutes, just by the
interjection of such theories as:
Relativity and Quantum Mechanics, among others.

Or, if one's feeling ambitious:
Attack this issue using the tactic known as:
"reductio ad absurdum".

If it is true?
I bet it could often be, that it's added
as part of the product's "carrier system".

Bob

Blah, Ba Blah Blah Blah.:buffing:
We're trying to find a translator, but there doesn't
seem to be one available for assinine remarks.
I have a call into Mensa, but all are too busy reading
Bob's Cliff notes. Doom is apparent. So sad.

Peace,

Darrin

Setec Astronomy
01-05-2016, 07:33 PM
Imo, Carnauba plus polymer is just a durable wax product. This sort of thing has been done for decades (megs, I believe, had such a product over 20 years ago).

Are you talking about Meg's #26 yellow wax? I find it hard to believe that was the first "hybrid" product, I would imagine Meg's did it before that and I'm pretty sure after the silicone revolution of the late 60's that there were hybridized products by the early to mid-70's. I mean here's a Kit ad from 1975, and I'm guessing they threw some carnauba in there so they could label it that way so as to not scare off the traditionalists. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhQUDAcbEjg

If I'm not mistaken, Kit debuted some years before that 1975 ad as the first "soft" paste wax.

PiPUK
01-06-2016, 12:32 PM
Are you talking about Meg's #26 yellow wax? I find it hard to believe that was the first "hybrid" product, I would imagine Meg's did it before that and I'm pretty sure after the silicone revolution of the late 60's that there were hybridized products by the early to mid-70's. I mean here's a Kit ad from 1975, and I'm guessing they threw some carnauba in there so they could label it that way so as to not scare off the traditionalists. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhQUDAcbEjg

If I'm not mistaken, Kit debuted some years before that 1975 ad as the first "soft" paste wax.

To be honest, I couldn't name a specific product. My reference comes from patent applications which date well back into the 90s. I generally won't take too much interest further back than that. It is very interesting what you will discover - what would once have been considered an additive for prolonging the life of a wax is now the sort of thing that you find in glazes which have high marketing claims.

Jowillie
01-07-2016, 07:53 PM
You must be speaking of "Kamikaze Infinity Wax." 53.9% carnauba mixed with nano glass coating.

AGOatemywallet
01-07-2016, 08:20 PM
You must be speaking of "Kamikaze Infinity Wax." 53.9% carnauba mixed with nano glass coating.

That is some great marketing jargon, right there!

Infinity....fantastic!

Nano....futuristic!

Glass...whoa!

Sounds like a Chemical Guys Press Release

PiPUK
01-08-2016, 10:22 AM

This is the sort of thing that rubs technical people the wrong way. The point of a nanoscale coating it to create roughness which then gives rise to hydrophobicity thanks to the lotus effect. Right. So now we mix in carnauba and you have nano particles embedded in wax, not sitting proud on the surface to give the lotus effect. Based on the marketing blurb, the product makes no technical sense. So the consumer thinks they know what it is because of the marketing but the fact is that nobody short of the company (assuming they make it) actually has a notion what the product is about.

Jowillie
01-08-2016, 07:14 PM
I dunno, not my job. But it sure looks interesting. Somebody's apparently trying it.