PDA

View Full Version : Felt wheel wells

frankprozzoly
01-03-2016, 09:43 AM
If you don't have a power washer how do you clean the dirt and leaves that sticks to the felt? I have a hard time even with a coarse brush

BMW435
01-03-2016, 09:57 AM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/showthread.php?t=96629

jarred767
01-03-2016, 10:23 AM
They can be a pain, I used to try scrubbing, cleaners, anything, and nothing would really get them clean. Once I got a pressure washer, it was night and day. I feel like it really was the only way to really get them clean and it's amazing how fast it works too.

Sorry I don't have a better option, but in my experience, I didn't find anything that even compared with the pressure washer, hopefully someone has figured something else out that might be able to help you out, that thread that BMW435 posted probably has some decent options.

Hammer77
01-03-2016, 10:40 AM
I just spray them with APC and hose them down. I did use a wheel well brush once, it was tricky getting it in, but a quick once over everything was fine. I do however wash my vehicle once a week, so there is not much build up!

DaveT435
01-03-2016, 12:02 PM
I also did the APC and spray with jet setting on the nozel. I used a brush a few times, but it seemed to start fraying it.

cardaddy
01-03-2016, 12:43 PM
I also did the APC and spray with jet setting on the nozel. I used a brush a few times, but it seemed to start fraying it.

:iagree:with :whs:

Dave brother... you beat me to it. ;)

I was going to say exactly what you said.

IOW's... Frank... be CAREFUL with a brush, most ESPECIALLY a coarse one! :eek:

I literally HATE fabric wheel well liners! Arrrrrggggghhhhhhh everything under the sun sticks to them. I've found myself with the wheels off, hand picking every little piece of pine straw, leaves, even sand out of the on occasion.

OTOH, manufacturers love them because (allegedly) they are more quite than regular slick plastic ones. :dunno: Wouldn't seem they are cheaper, but probably so. :rolleyes:

Rockeey
01-03-2016, 01:04 PM
I have these annoying liners on my Lincoln. When a pressure washer is not available, what I have found works best is to clean them when they are dry. I use a rag (either damp or dry) and just rub them. Nearly all of the debris just rubs off. This is a tight area which makes using a brush somewhat difficult....and, as someone mentioned, using a brush can cause the felt to begin fraying and clumping. I can get at them pretty good with just a towel in my hand and they usually clean up to my demanding satisfaction.

jsgntulok
01-03-2016, 01:52 PM
I had good luck using a Speedmaster Wheel Brush when I owned a 2009 Toyota Avalon. Speed Master Wheel Brush (http://www.autogeek.net/auto-wheel-brush.html)

tuscarora dave
01-03-2016, 02:06 PM
I used a brush a few times, but it seemed to start fraying it.

I've had this happen more than once. Sometimes scrubbing is just necessary depending on what's stuck to them. Thankfully not too much really sticks too bad.

I've found that when these wheel well liners begin to get all fuzzed up from scrubbing, you can go over them with a heat gun followed by a swipe with a soft interior brush and it removes (via heat) the fuzzing and makes them look new again.

I like to give the felt wheel well liners a misting with my favorite water based tire shine, which seems to prevent a lot of stuff sticking to them into the future and helps release what dirt does get into them.

ski2
01-03-2016, 04:54 PM
On my Passat the fronts are a plastic liner which are simple to clean, but the rears are the PITA felt liners--don't know why the rears aren't the same as the front.

In any case I've found spraying with a strong APC and then cleaning with an old style toilet bowl brush as the best method. The bristles are soft enough so they don't damage the liner, the angle allows you to get it easily past the tires and you can find them for a couple of bucks.

RWWB= Rear Wheel Well Brush

http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t508/pkwaug/013.jpg

http://i1063.photobucket.com/albums/t508/pkwaug/012.jpg