PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars are so wrong..

Pages : [1] 2

6LS2
09-30-2007, 07:53 AM
I was looking over their forum the other day and I did some research on wetsanding. " Mike Phillips " the Administrator of Meguiars aka the " pro " has said several times " You cannot remove sanding marks with a DA " And that it HAS to be done with a rotary. On one of their videos on youtube it shows them wetsanding a hood at Meguiars, then they try remove the sanding marks with a Heavy cutting pad and M83 and it did not remove them, because of this they think that it can't be done. This should put a smile on some of your faces, and make some of those people that think Meguiars polishes are the best polishes ever look abit stupid.

Today I did some wetsanding on a 2003 Ford Focus. I used 2000 gritt. After sanding I got out my PC7424, Lake Country Yellow CCS pad and Pinnacle XMT #3. Yes thats right, XMT #3, not #4. And guess what? It removed them in the first pass.

So I just thought I'd share with you all, what Meguiars couldnt remove after one pass, XMT could, and it wasnt even a heavy compound polish!

XMT > Meguiars. :)

Thanks for reading!

6LS2

DantheMan
09-30-2007, 08:19 AM
You'll still see them in certain light. XMT 3 on a DA is not going to completely remove 2000 grit sanding marks in one pass. I don't doubt you got some gloss back in the paint, but there is absolutely no way you completely removed them like that. You can show me all the pictures you want, but I'll guarantee you I can find them in person.

I did some wetsanding yesterday, and even on a soft honda paint, it took 2 hits of powergloss & lake
country twisted wool on the makita @ 1800-2000rpm to completely remove it..

supercharged
09-30-2007, 08:55 AM
I was looking over their forum the other day and I did some research on wetsanding. " Mike Phillips " the Administrator of Meguiars aka the " pro " has said several times " You cannot remove sanding marks with a DA " And that it HAS to be done with a rotary. On one of their videos on youtube it shows them wetsanding a hood at Meguiars, then they try remove the sanding marks with a Heavy cutting pad and M83 and it did not remove them, because of this they think that it can't be done. This should put a smile on some of your faces, and make some of those people that think Meguiars polishes are the best polishes ever look abit stupid.

Today I did some wetsanding on a 2003 Ford Focus. I used 2000 gritt. After sanding I got out my PC7424, Lake Country Yellow CCS pad and Pinnacle XMT #3. Yes thats right, XMT #3, not #4. And guess what? It removed them in the first pass.

So I just thought I'd share with you all, what Meguiars couldnt remove after one pass, XMT could, and it wasnt even a heavy compound polish!

XMT > Meguiars. :)

Thanks for reading!

6LS2
XMT > Meguiar's > Turtle wax compound...

6LS2
09-30-2007, 09:08 AM
You'll still see them in certain light. XMT 3 on a DA is not going to completely remove 2000 grit sanding marks in one pass. I don't doubt you got some gloss back in the paint, but there is absolutely no way you completely removed them like that. You can show me all the pictures you want, but I'll guarantee you I can find them in person.

I did some wetsanding yesterday, and even on a soft honda paint, it took 2 hits of powergloss & lake
country twisted wool on the makita @ 1800-2000rpm to completely remove it..

Well I put it in the sun and looked at it from every angle, and in the garage under strong lighting it was all gone. I know where your coming from, because I didn't think it would remove it, but it did.

DantheMan
09-30-2007, 09:23 AM
The next time I do some wetsanding, I'll try to remember to do 1/2 with the PC & XMT 3 and then the other half with the rotary and show you the difference between glossed over and gone. I suck with a camera though.

6LS2
09-30-2007, 09:42 AM
When I remove some sanding marks tomorrrow I'll remember to take close pics.

Rsurfer
09-30-2007, 10:00 AM
When I remove some sanding marks tomorrrow I'll remember to take close pics.
This should be interesting!

ScottB
09-30-2007, 10:15 AM
with the correct polishes (menzerna) and pads you are likely to get the job done, what Mike should have offered is it is much quicker with a rotary and done in only a few passes.

Pauly6401
09-30-2007, 02:55 PM
Hmm....let me know how this turns out because I need to help a friend use some touch up paint and wetsand/polish afterwards and all I have is a PC7424....

DantheMan
09-30-2007, 03:06 PM
I'm not saying you cant do it with a DA..

I'm saying you can't remove 2000 grit completely with one pass of XMT 3. Even on the softest of paints.

Anthony Orosco
09-30-2007, 03:54 PM
You also need to factor in HOW it was wet sanded.

In other words was the finish sanded until it was dull OR was it only lightly sanded? Did it have the right amount of lubrication, what paper manufacturer, was it old or new paper, etc.

New 2k grit paper is just that, 2000 grit, yet take a used 2k grit paper and it may actually be 2500 or 2800.

Lots of variables here.

Anthony

sneek
09-30-2007, 04:23 PM
To add to other posts above, I think you can reduce them a huge amount, but I highly doubt it can be done with XMT 3. I think you you look with a microscope you will find that there are still sanding marks there. I am pretty sure the finish won't be as clear as if you had done it with a rotary. I don't think Mike said it couldn't be done, I he said it couldn't be done in a reasonable amount of time. I have mid terms this week, but I actually have pictures of these micro sanding marks.

Few more thoughts. Meguair's was using a W8006 polishing pad, the equivalent of a white pad, so the test isn't really fair. Moreover, Meguiar's doesn't make claims that they can't back up on all cars/ trucks/SUVs etc.. it has to be "bubba proof".

Wolf-Strong
10-02-2007, 11:10 PM
To add to other posts above, I think you can reduce them a huge amount, but I highly doubt it can be done with XMT 3. I think you you look with a microscope you will find that there are still sanding marks there. I am pretty sure the finish won't be as clear as if you had done it with a rotary. I don't think Mike said it couldn't be done, I he said it couldn't be done in a reasonable amount of time. I have mid terms this week, but I actually have pictures of these micro sanding marks.

Few more thoughts. Meguair's was using a W8006 polishing pad, the equivalent of a white pad, so the test isn't really fair. Moreover, Meguiar's doesn't make claims that they can't back up on all cars/ trucks/SUVs etc.. it has to be "bubba proof".

Exactly. They tell people not to use their cutting pad with the DA PC because their cutting pad is just way too aggressive (it isn't exactly the same as a cutting pad from another brand). Not all pads are made the same; the 7006 was made for the rotary and not PC use as your have to remember most of their polishes were originally for rotary use than adapted for the PC.

Meguiar's products may not be the quickest way of getting things done, but they always deliver what they are promised to do. Remember these products are mostly made for body shops, and let's be honest here, most body shops products need to be as idiot proof as possible...hence the reason Meguiar's first came out with the 80 series (85/84/83/82/81/80) to simplify things, then even dumbed it down even more with the So1o One Liquid system.

6LS2
10-02-2007, 11:37 PM
Before

http://i21.tinypic.com/14czhqc.jpg

http://i23.tinypic.com/21mryo1.jpg

After

http://i20.tinypic.com/2w1wp50.jpg

http://i20.tinypic.com/2lb27mp.jpg

http://i21.tinypic.com/2yycjg1.jpg

Thats after one pass of XMT 3 on the yellow CCS pad. Sanding marks are pretty much gone, I had a look under some lighting ( forgot to take pics :( ) and the only thing that remained was hazing..

But you guys must say, for 2000 gritt sanding marks and only one pass of XMT 3, it did a fantastic job..

wytstang
10-02-2007, 11:45 PM
Yes yes it did do a darn good job for just 1 pass via pc.