PDA

View Full Version : New Owner of Rupes 21

Pages : [1] 2

db1220
01-02-2016, 02:30 PM
Hi all,

I recently acquired a Rupes 21 with a 5" backing plate. I would appreciate some advice as to what speed settings to use for different stages of polishing.

Speed for Correcting/compounding.

Speed setting for Final polish/finishing polish for high gloss.

FYI, my go to products are Menzerna FG 400 & SF 4000, 4509 and Sonax Profiline CutMax & EX-04 06.

Thank you for any advice/help

Dave

rlmccarty2000
01-02-2016, 03:57 PM
If I'm not mistaken you should have a 6 inch backing plate. The 5 inch comes on the 15.

db1220
01-02-2016, 04:16 PM
The Rupes 21 did originally came with the 6" backing plate. I bought it used from a local high end detail shop that changed/upgraded the backing plate to the 5", a common modification to the 21ES.

db1220
01-02-2016, 06:11 PM
Hi all,

I recently acquired a Rupes 21 with a 5" backing plate. I would appreciate some advice as to what speed settings to use for different stages of polishing.

Speed for Correcting/compounding.

Speed setting for Final polish/finishing polish for high gloss.

FYI, my go to products are Menzerna FG 400 & SF 4000, 4509 and Sonax Profiline CutMax & EX-04 06.

Thank you for any advice/help

Dave

To add to my post.

I think this question applies not only to the Rupes Bigfoot but for any DA/Random Orbital Polisher.

Just trying to find the correct and or general speeds that should be used. Like fast machine speed for compounding/correcting and slow for finishing to a high gloss.
Or
Slow Machine speed for compounding/correcting and fast for finishing to a high gloss.

Thanks,

Dave

kwwhite1
01-03-2016, 02:59 PM
I recently got the lhr15 and have been getting great results on speed 5 with the blue microfiber cutting disc for correcting and speed 4 to 5 with the yellow foam finishing pad for finishing. I followed the advice from several people on here and utilized the entire Rupes system and it has been amazing so far.

FinishingTouchA
01-03-2016, 03:11 PM
I recently got the lhr15 and have been getting great results on speed 5 with the blue microfiber cutting disc for correcting and speed 4 to 5 with the yellow foam finishing pad for finishing. I followed the advice from several people on here and utilized the entire Rupes system and it has been amazing so far.

:iagree: Except that I've found the Megs Microfiber discs to work much better than the Rupes MF. The Rupes MF tend to mat down really bad.

Zubair
01-03-2016, 03:25 PM
The Megs MF is light years ahead of all MF pads.

mbkite
01-03-2016, 04:01 PM
I am pretty shure I got a big foot polisher from the same location you got yours from DD in Norwood. But I got my 21 from AG I think they are great tools. I worked on my sisters friends bmw with out the big foot a few years ago and she was happy.. A few years later she wanted it detailed again this time I had my big foot and when she picked it up she was jumping up and down couldn't believe it was her car.. Good luck with yours..

choijw2
01-03-2016, 05:29 PM
for correction speed 6
for polish speed 5
for LSP speed 3.

that is my general rule and I almost always stick to this.

to add, for rupes polisher, I highly recommend using rupes foam pads.
any other brand pads will make noticeable vibration.

I have not mixed rupes foam pad with different brand polishing compound but others have, and told me it worked great.

PERFECTIONPLUS
01-03-2016, 05:39 PM
I use 5" megs mf pads with mine and love it as well. I like to make 2 passes with moderate pressure then 2 more with almost no pressure .

Speed 5-6 for compounding

4-5 For polishing.

Zubair
01-03-2016, 07:11 PM
Speed 5 Compounding
Speed 4 Polishing

db1220
01-04-2016, 04:22 PM
Thank you everyone.

Also for you guys that are using the megs microfiber pads... Are you just using it (cutting disk) for compounding/correction and then going to foam finishing pad. Or do you use the megs mf finishing disk/pad.

Thank again for all for the info and advice.

Zubair
01-04-2016, 04:58 PM
Megs DMC5 cutting disk for compounding
Rupes Yellow foam for polishing(brilliant polishing pad)

db1220
01-04-2016, 05:29 PM
Thanks Zubair,

I've used the megs mf cutting and finishing disks with the megs da microfiber starter kit a few years back with my Griots 6" polisher.

I know I've heard and read of using the mf pads for compounding/correction, just wasn't sure about using the mf finishing pad for final or finishing polish.

dlc95
01-04-2016, 07:54 PM
:iagree: Except that I've found the Megs Microfiber discs to work much better than the Rupes MF. The Rupes MF tend to mat down really bad.

FTA, do you do the washer mod by any chance?

Also, is this using Zephyr?

I had mine mat down badly using M100, on a free spinning Duetto.