PDA

View Full Version : Big Interior Job

dmorrissey
01-02-2016, 02:10 PM
Over the past few months my 13 year old son and I have started detailing some cars on the weekend. We have gotten some customers from both Craiglist and Facebook and my son purchased a domain for us as a Christmas present!

Check out the write up on the interior we did last week A Big Interior Job | DP&P Car Detailing (http://dppcardetailing.com/2016/01/02/a-big-interior-job/)

We learned the mistake of giving someone a price quote sight unseen as we quoted only $50! She ended up giving us $60 which was still quite a bargain for her!

Also feel free to check out our work in progress website DP&P Car Detailing | Car Detailing, Cleaning, and Washing (http://dppcardetailing.com)

And our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/dppcardetailing/

We would appreciate Facebook "likes" and any questions comments or feedback on the website as well!

dmorrissey
01-03-2016, 05:14 PM
Any feedback?

custmsprty
01-03-2016, 07:21 PM
3-1/2 hours / $60.00 = $17.15hr / 2 = $8.57 per hour per person.

You're right, she got a bargain.

oldmodman
01-03-2016, 08:02 PM
From the pictures you would think that it took $60.00 worth of PRODUCT just to get it clean.

Labor? Free.:xyxthumbs:

AGOatemywallet
01-03-2016, 08:33 PM
You will get a lot more feedback if the reader does not have to leave the AGO website once to read the write-up and again to see photos in process

Having one photo that is sort of a Before and After, shot at 10 feet and low resolution compounds the problem

If you cut & paste the white-up into your AGO post and use the AGO photo upload function, you will realize great success

Congratulations on the new business and developing a young man who values hard work

sweatthedetails
01-03-2016, 11:12 PM
Whole lot of work for $60. I greatly undervalued my self when I first started. You will get burned out fast working that way. The pictures are very important. Take lots of before of anything that looks significant. Then review them before you take your afters, you will be surprised at how you forget something looked before cleaning it. Try to take your afters from the same angle also. Build your portfolio, it will be the single best selling point you will have. Good luck and have fun. Great that your son is working with you.

www.JaxDetails.com
www.facebook.com/DentsAndDetails
I may be slow, but I do poor work.

dmorrissey
01-04-2016, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the pointers of the before and after pics! Good advice.

KMG
01-05-2016, 08:37 AM
You should really make it a habit of inspecting a vehicle before giving a price. Also when it comes to pricing you should have an idea of how long it will take you to do a project and decide on an hourly rate you would like to make while doing the work.

Almost all my pricing is based off $50/hr listed on my website. I also require seeing the vehicle for premium interior jobs and paint correction jobs before giving a final price.

Keep up the good work and you will learn from mistakes on pricing jobs as you progress.

dmorrissey
01-05-2016, 08:10 PM
Yeah it's tempting to give a price when asked to try and get the job but seeing it first is definitely going to be the way to go!

ScottH
01-05-2016, 08:25 PM
I am often in shock that people treat their cars this way. Not only is it unsightly but at some point becomes disgusting.

DaveT435
01-05-2016, 08:38 PM
I would think since this gives you and your teenage son something to do together on a regular basis, money is secondary...

I'm sure the interior looked incredible when it got done.

OTSDetail
01-05-2016, 09:35 PM
Just noticed yall on the richmond CL page. Good to see some more locals on here!