PDA

View Full Version : Picked up my 2016 Tacoma today

SATracker
01-01-2016, 11:42 PM
(This post is not intended to bash dealer detailers or make ready guys, it was the face on the salesman that caught my attention.)
I picked up my new Tacoma today. In my conversation with the salesman I mentioned they didn't need to detail my truck because I detailed as an enthusiast. He told me that my truck was being detailed as we spoke and suggested that since I was a detailer, I might want to put another coat of wax on it. He said the dealer "eats" the cost of the detailing. I told him it would take about 4 hours to detail that truck. The silence was priceless. I gave him a general outline of what I was going to do and he said, "We don't do that here." But he was cool and it's all good. Dealers sell cars, they're shiny and they smell new-- and I know that. It's just- when I told him it would take four hours, the look on his face and the silence was classic.
My process will include: Iron-X, washing with foam gun and Chemical Guys soap, clay, taping the truck, Klasse AIO, wipe down with CarPro Eraser, then Pinnacle Black Label paint & glass coating.
I'm using Klasse AIO because I like the way it makes silver paint look. I don't know what it is, and it may all be in my head but when I did my wife's silver Accord with KAIO, it really looked great.
Hope you folks have a great new year.

Eldorado2k
01-01-2016, 11:58 PM
Congrats on the new truck. What are you going to put on the tires? And are there any swirls on the paint right now?

tapp1
01-02-2016, 12:25 AM
Nice. What trim/model did you get? They are awesome trucks. I want one!

apthai
01-02-2016, 12:36 AM
My process will include: Iron-X, washing with foam gun and Chemical Guys soap, clay, taping the truck, Klasse AIO, wipe down with CarPro Eraser, then Pinnacle Black Label paint & glass coating.

Congrats on the new car!

Don't you need to use the PBL Surface Cleansing Polish before applying PBL coating? I like PBL coating but hate using the Cleansing Polish. If I don't have to use that and just use Eraser that would be awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kevincwelch
01-02-2016, 12:54 AM
Don't you need to use the PBL Surface Cleansing Polish before applying PBL coating?

Hmm.

I have some thoughts on this. While I tend to use the manufacturer's recommended prep, I don't think it's necessary. Coatings bond to the clear coat, not the prep.

I did a test of 4 different paint prep solutions before applying PBL DPC and the longevity of the product was the same with all 4 preps.

(Sent via my mobile device)

SATracker
01-02-2016, 12:55 AM
--No noticeable swirls, but I haven't really examined it yet. I have a black RAV4 and it shows every hint of a swirl so I purposely got silver.
--The tires will be dressed with Wolgang tire dressing.
--I got the entry level double cab, 4 cylinder. I'll add the wheels and other accessories I want when I'm ready.
--Yes, I meant to say I'll do the Pinnacle Black Label system, which includes a cleansing polish. Thanks guys,
It'll be a fun project.

AZpolisher15
01-02-2016, 12:59 AM
--No noticeable swirls, but I haven't really examined it yet. I have a black RAV4 and it shows every hint of a swirl so I purposely got silver.
--The tires will be dressed with Wolgang tire dressing.
--I got the entry level double cab, 4 cylinder. I'll add the wheels and other accessories I want when I'm ready.
--Yes, I meant to say I'll do the Pinnacle Black Label system, which includes a cleansing polish. Thanks guys,
It'll be a fun project.

Exciting! I have a pyrite mica 2014 taco. Are you on Tacoma world?

willowcat11
01-02-2016, 02:50 AM
Dude! I love Tacoma's! You got any first picks of the truck! I think the word Tacoma, and the word Fun are synonymous. Congratulations man, and may you have years of memories with that thing!

Peace!

Ray

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
01-02-2016, 03:51 AM
Congrats!

Make sure to do a Show 'N Shine when the detailing commences.

SATracker
01-02-2016, 07:53 PM
I will become part of Tacoma World today. The weather is supposed to not totally suck tomorrow and Monday so I'll start tomorrow and I'll take some pics of the process.

AZpolisher15
01-02-2016, 11:43 PM
I will become part of Tacoma World today. The weather is supposed to not totally suck tomorrow and Monday so I'll start tomorrow and I'll take some pics of the process.

Lots of good guys on the Tacoma world forum if you need help with Tacoma related stuff. They're not as well behaved over there, and much less patient, but overall a good source for Tacoma-specific info. As far as their detailing section goes, stick to Autogeek!

geekdout
01-03-2016, 02:15 AM
I am the proud owner of a 2012 pyrite mica Tacoma, I love that color. The 2012 is actually my third Tacoma, I think they are the best mid size truck on the market.

I was shocked to see how much the prices went up on the new ones, but even if the price was comparable I won't be parting with my 2012 anytime soon. I love that truck.

hollerstiltner
01-03-2016, 01:22 PM
2011 magnetic grey access cab with trd off road package and a 6sp manual here. Love my taco.

Also, I'd skip the klasse aio. It's a chemical cleaner that leaves protection behind. To make the PBL coating bind, you'd have to remove all the Klasse. You'd likely come out ahead just giving her a once over with a finishing polish and then doing the coating prep and coating.

ryandamartini
01-03-2016, 01:57 PM
Welcome to the Gen3 family!

16' Silver DCB V6 SR5 4x2 here.

BadgerRivFan
01-03-2016, 05:05 PM
Also, I'd skip the klasse aio. It's a chemical cleaner that leaves protection behind. To make the PBL coating bind, you'd have to remove all the Klasse. You'd likely come out ahead just giving her a once over with a finishing polish and then doing the coating prep and coating.

^^^^^ This ^^^^^