PDA

View Full Version : Average paint thickness

Pages : [1] 2

llively
01-01-2016, 03:50 PM
Any one know what the average paint thickness is for a new car? Also what measurement is used?

Thanks.

FUNX650
01-01-2016, 04:13 PM
Any one know what the average paint thickness is for a new car? Also what measurement is used?

Thanks.
•Which paint-system...
-Single-stage (SS); or BC/CC paint systems?

-Which part/parts (film/film layers)
of a particular paint-system?

•Measurement:
-I've seen it represented in both mils and microns

Bob

llively
01-01-2016, 04:28 PM
I am looking for the average thickness for a two stage paint job.

FUNX650
01-01-2016, 04:33 PM
Again:
The entire paint-system's thickness?
Or, each particular/individual film's thickness(es)
that constitutes the entire paint-system?

Bob

Rsurfer
01-01-2016, 04:35 PM

What kind of car? Most European cars are on the thicker side and most Asian cars are on the thinner side of the scale. American cars can vary greatly.

llively
01-01-2016, 04:43 PM
Im looking for mostly asian and american cars.

Rsurfer
01-01-2016, 04:54 PM
Im looking for mostly asian and american cars.

Asian cars, I would estimate between 100 and 130 microns. American cars can vary greatly, 120 to 180 microns.

You could have the same year and make and have vastly different readings. Nothing is set in stone as far as paint goes.

llively
01-01-2016, 04:56 PM
Ok, if I take my car to a detailer for some paint correction. How will they know how agressive they can be without taking the clear coat down to far? For example you generally do not want to remove more than 25% of your clear coat over the life time of the car. Otherwise you risk clear coat failure. So if each manufacture is that different this can make it difficult to judge?

Thank you

Dmb5450
01-01-2016, 04:56 PM
My 2014 Mazda 3 has 55-80 microns depending on where I take the reading. My hood and doors are around 70. The trunk is 55, while the thicker panels on the lowest part of the car are 80.

Rsurfer
01-01-2016, 05:07 PM
My 2014 Mazda 3 has 55-80 microns depending on where I take the reading. My hood and doors are around 70. The trunk is 55, while the thicker panels on the lowest part of the car are 80.

That's some scary thin readings. Paint cleaners only, no compounds on those readings.

Dmb5450
01-01-2016, 05:09 PM
That's some scary thin readings. Paint cleaners only, no compounds on those readings.

I agree, I checked others at the dealership, all the same readings. I have read another thread saying Mazda has the lowest they have ever seen. I'm not sure why they have such low readings.

Rsurfer
01-01-2016, 05:15 PM
Ok, if I take my car to a detailer for some paint correction. How will they know how agressive they can be without taking the clear coat down to far? For example you generally do not want to remove more than 25% of your clear coat over the life time of the car. Otherwise you risk clear coat failure. So if each manufacture is that different this can make it difficult to judge?

Thank you

It takes some common sense on the detailers part. If you owned the car from new and never had it polished and he got readings of 120-150 mic. he would probably feel it's safe to compound and polish.

However, if he was getting reading of 55 mic. like the poster above, he would probably past.

I'm a huge believer of having a paint gauge before doing any correction work. If there is thin paint you can forewarn your customer and relieve yourself from the liability of a burn through. This will also put the customer on notice in case he uses another detailer the next time.

Rsurfer
01-01-2016, 05:17 PM
I agree, I checked others at the dealership, all the same readings. I have read another thread saying Mazda has the lowest they have ever seen. I'm not sure why they have such low readings.

Thin paint equals more bottom line.:props:

haris300
01-01-2016, 05:24 PM

Maybe it's for weight reduction :laughing:

Makes me wonder about my 08 Mazda3

Dmb5450
01-01-2016, 05:28 PM
Thin paint equals more bottom line.:props:

Yup, and a 3 year paint warranty, I wonder how fast the CC fails on people who don't care for their car?

Maybe it's for weight reduction :laughing:

Makes me wonder about my 08 Mazda3

Haha I knew I noticed some pick up when merging, I now know why!