PDA

View Full Version : heat gun to increase curing time

budinthemud
01-01-2016, 03:08 PM
Okay well its getting cold (finally) down here in h-town and being mobile makes it a little tougher to detail. Now as far as applying lsp in the cold, it would take longer to cure. I was thinking of purchasing a heat gun to speed up the curing process. Would this help? If so, any advice using one. And what is recommended heat temperature to use on paint? Thanks

Mike lambert
01-01-2016, 03:12 PM
Buy yourself a heat lamp instead, a lot less risky!

budinthemud
01-01-2016, 03:18 PM
Anyone that you recommend for mobile detailing?

Mike lambert
01-01-2016, 03:50 PM
I have an infra tech, for curing coatings, but I bet you could find something in one of the big box stores

FUNX650
01-01-2016, 04:02 PM
IMHO:
For mobile detailers to use heat guns/heat lamps
to try and warm up the great outdoors---so LSPs
cure faster...

Is about as useless as throwing a "Welcome Home"
party for Amelia Earhart.

Bob

budinthemud
01-01-2016, 04:22 PM
My plan was to put some heat on the paint just like the sun would one panel at a time.

Rsurfer
01-01-2016, 04:23 PM
Using a heat gun can be risky especially on plastic bumpers. Using a heat lamp outdoors will not be very effective.

budinthemud
01-01-2016, 06:57 PM
What about blow drier?

conman1395
01-01-2016, 09:27 PM
IMHO:
cure faster...

Bob
I agree. Proper curing has to do with just the temperatures after you apply it.

CarPro Reload shouldn't be applied to paint below 50 degrees because it neither bonds well nor does it come out looking right. If the panel is cold then that'll affect it too.

So I guess it's worth asking:

What sealants are you using? If something has a 12 hour cure time, then forget it.

If I were you, I'd use a spray sealant like Meguiar's D156 that has proven to me to be the only LSP that I can apply in any weather.

custmsprty
01-01-2016, 09:31 PM
IMHO:
cure faster...

Bob

:dblthumb2::dblthumb2::dblthumb2:

Let nature take it's course.

casvg5
01-02-2016, 01:20 PM
This is the reason we are such a proponent of detailing in a repeatable controllable environment. Using a heat gun to heat up panels is going to be like using a cigarette lighter to cook thanksgiving turkey.

custmsprty
01-02-2016, 02:21 PM
This is the reason we are such a proponent of detailing in a repeatable controllable environment. Using a heat gun to heat up panels is going to be like using a cigarette lighter to cook thanksgiving turkey.

:laughing: :cheers: :laughing: