PDA

View Full Version : This is how you demo dirty door jambs

kesmit
12-31-2015, 04:51 PM
While I appreciate all of the "how to clean ..." videos on the web, it bugs me when many of them appear to start with a car that already looks clean. Today, I got out my old truck that I use for a Winter vehicle so that I could try out my new vapor steamer. I should have taken pictures of the driver side because it was way worse. Cleaning this up took multiple rounds of degreaser and steam. Of course, if I had done a video of this, it would have required about 30 minutes of Benny Hill-style fast-motion to keep people around until the end. :)

haris300
12-31-2015, 04:55 PM
Looking good! One of many overlooked details when cleaning a car. I like to lubricate the hinge pins with lithium grease after cleaning.

custmsprty
12-31-2015, 06:29 PM
Very nice!

frankprozzoly
12-31-2015, 07:10 PM
What kind of steam cleaner do you have. I'm considering one. Nothing professional just something decent

Eldorado2k
12-31-2015, 08:00 PM
Good job👍🏽

AGOatemywallet
12-31-2015, 08:01 PM
30 minutes on one door jamb...how much are you charging?

Eldorado2k
12-31-2015, 08:23 PM
"30min. of Benny Hill style motion" = zero minutes of normL people time. Lol.

kesmit
12-31-2015, 09:19 PM
30 minutes on one door jamb...how much are you charging?

This is my personal winter vehicle. I'm just an enthusiastic, not a professional. It's a 16 year old farm truck and I don't know when the last time these hinges were clean. This was some really thick grime.

kesmit
12-31-2015, 09:21 PM
What kind of steam cleaner do you have. I'm considering one. Nothing professional just something decent

I got the VX 5000. This is my first experience with a vapor steamer so I'm still learning how to make best use of it.

JWilliams.RadiantDetail
12-31-2015, 09:27 PM
wait you said 30 minutes of Benny Hill fast style motion, does that mean in regular speed the video would be 1.5 hours?? MAN you're patient.

kesmit
12-31-2015, 10:07 PM
wait you said 30 minutes of Benny Hill fast style motion, does that mean in regular speed the video would be 1.5 hours?? MAN you're patient.

OK, maybe that didn't come out right... I'm not *that* patient.

Rmd
12-31-2015, 11:10 PM
As long as you get the Benny Hill theme song, anything in fast motion is entertaining.

http://youtu.be/LUYbu5DJA1U

sweatthedetails
01-03-2016, 11:18 PM
Looks good. You ever try degreaser and pressure washing? Follow up with a wipe down. Takes me 15 minutes for a 4 door car. Just part of my prep stage. Usually squirt a little Meg's express wax for that extra pop. My steamer is a great tool, but nothing beats a blast from the pressure washer.

www.JaxDetails.com
www.facebook.com/DentsAndDetails
I may be slow, but I do poor work.

kesmit
01-04-2016, 12:58 PM
Looks good. You ever try degreaser and pressure washing? Follow up with a wipe down. Takes me 15 minutes for a 4 door car. Just part of my prep stage. Usually squirt a little Meg's express wax for that extra pop. My steamer is a great tool, but nothing beats a blast from the pressure washer.

A pressure washer is very likely faster. I have a gas Craftsman that I bought a couple of years ago. I used it twice and the next time I tried it, it wouldn't run. I haven't taken the time to get it looked at yet. Needless to say, I'm not happy about it, but now that I'm getting into detailing it's getting higher on the priority list. Thanks for the tip.

sweatthedetails
01-04-2016, 06:13 PM
Buy an electric. I own a couple Karchers. Small, quiet, plenty of car wash power. Don't have to fiddle with gas. They typically run around $100.

www.JaxDetails.com
www.facebook.com/DentsAndDetails
I may be slow, but I do poor work.