PDA

View Full Version : Folex on alcantera?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Eldorado2k
12-30-2015, 10:33 PM
I'm wondering if any of you guys have ever used Folex to clean alcantera seat inserts like the kind that are found in 2006- Dodge Chargers.. I have a potential customer lined up with dirty alcantera seats and I'm thinking about using Folex to clean them. Thx in advance.

oldmodman
12-30-2015, 10:41 PM
I can't guarantee the same results that I had but I did use Folex (gently) on my Ford 03 Cobra seats.
It got out all the dirt (very little in the first place) and they did end up looking just like the back seats that no one had ever sat on.

I used a "Little Green Clean Machine" and the Folex was diluted with 4X as much warm water as was on the bottle.

Legacykid
12-30-2015, 11:22 PM
I can't guarantee the same results that I had but I did use Folex (gently) on my Ford 03 Cobra seats.
It got out all the dirt (very little in the first place) and they did end up looking just like the back seats that no one had ever sat on.

I used a "Little Green Clean Machine" and the Folex was diluted with 4X as much warm water as was on the bottle.

How wet did the seats get? I have always been to afraid to try out on my seats.

Audios S6
12-31-2015, 01:51 AM
Just test a hidden spot first to be sure, but Folex shouldn't affect Alcantara. Soaking just one spot will likely lead to a water ring; soaking the whole seat can lead to matted/pilled fibers.

Be gentle, don't over work the fibers, dry as fast as possible, fluff fibers with compressed air or a brush.

I have broken the soaking rules before but that has been on alcantara that was already left for dead so my efforts weren't risking much.

The leather masters nubuck cloths are actually very good at restoring the texture. I have also been known to use a disposable razor to remove any pilling.

Eldorado2k
12-31-2015, 02:25 AM
Yea you guys are right about overwetting upholstery.. Last week I did a test between 2 products on my couch using my steamer with the triangle attachment/terry towel on it.. It soaked my couch so bad that it was still wet the following day when I got home from work. Never again will I use that method on upholstery. Grr.

I tried using APC and the steamer attachment without the towel had 100% better results and the couch was dry within minutes.

wytstang
12-31-2015, 07:00 AM
Would you be interested in some Leather Master's products? I just parked my mustang in my dads garage in Ga. and will only see it once a year. I have no used for all this stuff at this point.
Most are fairly full (about 75% of 33 oz bottles minus the foam cleaner/Vital which guessing is maybe half)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/wytstang/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-12/20151231_065316_zps5qbm7nlm.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/wytstang/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-12/20151231_065327_zpskkmxlisr.jpg

wytstang
12-31-2015, 07:06 AM
BTW the Foam cleaner and Strong Cleaner are the same thing would just need to put the Strong Cleaner in a foaming bottle and viola you have a safe way to clean Alacantra and the Nubuck protectant to keep them stain resistance.

FUNX650
12-31-2015, 09:30 AM
I'm wondering if any of you guys have ever used Folex to clean alcantera seat inserts
I haven't.

Bob

AGOatemywallet
12-31-2015, 10:27 AM
Just to pull back the curtain on this Mystery Fabric a bit...

"Alcantara is composed of about 68% polyester and 32% polyurethane,[5] giving increased durability and stain resistance. The appearance and tactile feel of the material is similar to that of suede, and it may be incorrectly identified as such."

On seats, there is no danger in using a product like Folex.

On areas like pillars, headliners, etc; additional caution should be used. If steaming, keep your distance, so the adhesive backing is not over heated.

I have not tried it, but based on the composition of Alcantara; a diluted solution of Microfiber Towel Detergent should work well.

FUNX650
12-31-2015, 11:23 AM
Just to pull back the curtain on this Mystery Fabric a bit...

"Alcantara is composed of about 68% polyester and 32% polyurethane,[5] giving increased durability and stain resistance. The appearance and tactile feel of the material is similar to that of suede, and it may be incorrectly identified as such."

Pulling back the above curtain a little bit more:
Alcantara is to upholstery/fabric...as:
Xerox is to photo-copying/photo-copying machines.

On seats, there is no danger in using a product like Folex.

On areas like pillars, headliners, etc; additional caution should be used. If steaming, keep your distance, so the adhesive backing is not over heated.

I have not tried it, but based on the composition of Alcantara; a diluted solution of Microfiber Towel Detergent should work well.
I find these pronouncements to be quite troubling.

Bob

Eldorado2k
12-31-2015, 11:43 AM
Last night I did a test spot on my living room couch, which is made of faux suede/alcantera, and it seemed to work fine. Looks good this morning.

Btw, due to my current budget I wasn't able to make wytstang an offer for his batch of leather products. So if anyone wants to make him a respectable offer, it's still there.👋🏼

DetailGroove
12-31-2015, 12:44 PM
Just test a hidden spot first to be sure, but Folex shouldn't affect Alcantara. Soaking just one spot will likely lead to a water ring; soaking the whole seat can lead to matted/pilled fibers.

Be gentle, don't over work the fibers, dry as fast as possible, fluff fibers with compressed air or a brush.

This is what I was going to recommend.

Just start off as light as you can on a test area. Give it light mist, work the area lightly, wipe if all off almost to completely dry (since you only misted the area), and inspect your work :xyxthumbs:

AGOatemywallet
12-31-2015, 08:08 PM
Why so troubled robert?

Audios S6
01-01-2016, 06:11 PM
Why so troubled robert?

I think the concern is overwetting any fabric. Many of the microfiber detergents are pretty foamy and would need to be rinsed thoroughly, which means wetting the fabric a lot; alcantara doesn't like to be soaked.

FUNX650
01-01-2016, 07:00 PM
I think the concern is overwetting any fabric. Many of the microfiber detergents are pretty foamy and would need to be rinsed thoroughly, which means wetting the fabric a lot; alcantara doesn't like to be soaked.
Thanks. :xyxthumbs:
Yes...and that includes getting it wet from
steaming: NEVER, EVER steam Alcantara!!

It also is troubling to me whenever someone
gives any advice that starts out by saying:
"I have not tried it, but..."

Bob