PDA

View Full Version : Brush and Applicator care?

Flash69
09-29-2007, 08:01 PM
Folks,

I am just getting back into detailing and I find myself purchasing a lot of stuff. I would like to know how people handle a few things.

I purchased the AG Vinyl and Leather Scrub brush. I used it on my wife's leather with APC+ and it made a huge difference. This is an awesome interior brush. I had a bit of a problem with it; however it was not the products fault. It was totally my fault. After using it I cleaned it with hot water and some dish soap. After that I shook it out and tried to get it as dry as possible. I then placed the brush in a zip lock bag. Well it was not completly dry so 2 days later I was going to use it and found it COVERED in black mold. I took it out and cleaned it the best I could. I also trashed the zip lock bag it was in. I have not decided if I will use this one again or just trash it.

Now I plan on ordering another (because it works great) however I now have other concerns about mold.

So my question is - how do I prevent this (with brushes and applicators)? Do you folks store brushes and applicators wet? Should I wash all applicators after each use? Is it ok to store wax, glaze, etc applicators wet?

Your input is greatly appreciated!

Martin

Rsurfer
09-29-2007, 08:56 PM
Folks,

I am just getting back into detailing and I find myself purchasing a lot of stuff. I would like to know how people handle a few things.

I purchased the AG Vinyl and Leather Scrub brush. I used it on my wife's leather with APC+ and it made a huge difference. This is an awesome interior brush. I had a bit of a problem with it; however it was not the products fault. It was totally my fault. After using it I cleaned it with hot water and some dish soap. After that I shook it out and tried to get it as dry as possible. I then placed the brush in a zip lock bag. Well it was not completly dry so 2 days later I was going to use it and found it COVERED in black mold. I took it out and cleaned it the best I could. I also trashed the zip lock bag it was in. I have not decided if I will use this one again or just trash it.

Now I plan on ordering another (because it works great) however I now have other concerns about mold.

So my question is - how do I prevent this (with brushes and applicators)? Do you folks store brushes and applicators wet? Should I wash all applicators after each use? Is it ok to store wax, glaze, etc applicators wet?

Your input is greatly appreciated!

Martinyes, wash and let air dry. Do not store in zip lock bags unless completely dry. A storage box would be better, just to keep the dust out.

Rsurfer
09-29-2007, 08:58 PM
Why not wash the brush in clorox to get rid of the mildew and rinse throughly, should be fine.

supercharged
09-29-2007, 09:57 PM
Air dry, then when completely dry you can store it in a ziplock bag.

Flash69
09-29-2007, 11:19 PM
Why not wash the brush in clorox to get rid of the mildew and rinse throughly, should be fine.

After I posted this I thought about that and did a little research for mold/mildew removal. Clorox/bleach seems to be the way to go. :cheers:

klumzypinoy
09-30-2007, 03:24 AM
I wash my applicators in a bucket of water and DP Pad Rejuvinator. For my wheel brush, I just rinse it and fling it so most of the water is off, and just lay it in the wheel washing bucket.