PDA

View Full Version : Menzerna Product Selection

Pages : [1] 2

AZpolisher15
12-29-2015, 03:02 AM
Q1: For a daily driver (1 year old) with very few swirls, should I be looking at a finishing polish or a medium cut polish in the attached chart?

Q2: products are labeled "standard", "special", or "alternative" in the attached chart. If I wanted to have a "set" of products to be prepared for whatever comes my way in my family and friends vehicles, should i choose the following "standard" products?
- heavy cut compound 1000
- medium cut polish 2500
- final finish 3000

After considerable research, and several hours wading through menzerna-related posts, those are the three products that sound most practical. LSP of choice would be, of course, power lock sealant. I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks!

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
12-29-2015, 03:45 AM
A1: You should have both on hand and start off with SF4000 with a polishing pad for a test spot. If that does not meet your goal, you can go down to PF2500 again with the white pad.

A2: For a "set" of products to have on hand I would start with FG400, PF2500, and SF4000. This will get you going in the right direction. You can add more later on down the line as need be.

Don't hesitate to ask questions.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/90147-attending-menzerna-headquarters-tech-academy.html

AZpolisher15
12-29-2015, 08:55 PM
A1: You should have both on hand and start off with SF4000 with a polishing pad for a test spot. If that does not meet your goal, you can go down to PF2500 again with the white pad.

A2: For a "set" of products to have on hand I would start with FG400, PF2500, and SF4000. This will get you going in the right direction. You can add more later on down the line as need be.

Don't hesitate to ask questions.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/90147-attending-menzerna-headquarters-tech-academy.html
Re: Menzerna Product Selection
Thanks for your time, Mike. Much appreciated. Very cool trip you had! I've heard a lot of good things about Menz. As I'm picking up on this "hobby", and knowing it will extend well beyond my own vehicle, I'd like to develop a system for myself so effects of relative and subtle adjustments are recognizable (and repeatable!). I'd like to stick with one brand to accomplish this and Menz seems to offer a lot of flexibility. Just trying to learn as much as I can, basically.

Why do you suggest SF4000 over FF3000? I'm not at all in disagreement- I know nothing about these products except what I'm reading from the forum, AG's description, and the Menz website.

Oh, and Ive also never even held a DA in my hands! My GG6 is ordered and on its way. Your input is appreciated.

Boejoula
12-29-2015, 09:14 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/77155-my-technique-concerning-3401-menzerna-products-hybrid-pads.html

This is a good read from Mike. You may want to change some things based on your machine but post help me make up my mind. I have been usin a Flex 3401 for a few years at work so I wanted to stick with that when venturing out on my own. I did want to offer a higher end detail and this article really helped me pick out my starting line. Haven't gotten to put it to use yet though.

AZpolisher15
12-29-2015, 10:37 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/77155-my-technique-concerning-3401-menzerna-products-hybrid-pads.html

This is a good read from Mike. You may want to change some things based on your machine but post help me make up my mind. I have been usin a Flex 3401 for a few years at work so I wanted to stick with that when venturing out on my own. I did want to offer a higher end detail and this article really helped me pick out my starting line. Haven't gotten to put it to use yet though.
Yup, good read. Thanks!

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
12-30-2015, 03:03 AM
Re: Menzerna Product Selection
Thanks for your time, Mike. Much appreciated. Very cool trip you had! I've heard a lot of good things about Menz. As I'm picking up on this "hobby", and knowing it will extend well beyond my own vehicle, I'd like to develop a system for myself so effects of relative and subtle adjustments are recognizable (and repeatable!). I'd like to stick with one brand to accomplish this and Menz seems to offer a lot of flexibility. Just trying to learn as much as I can, basically.

Why do you suggest SF4000 over FF3000? I'm not at all in disagreement- I know nothing about these products except what I'm reading from the forum, AG's description, and the Menz website.

Oh, and Ive also never even held a DA in my hands! My GG6 is ordered and on its way. Your input is appreciated.

No problem. Thanks!

I would say Menzerna offers the most flexibility of any polish manufacture. After all, this is what they specialize in. They also supply the major German Automobile manufactures. This is the product line they use on the assembly lines.

I suggest SF4000 over FF3000 as SF4000 will finish out better than FF3000. SF4000 also has a bit more cut in it than people think (FF3000 as well) and can finish out some pretty heavy halograms and defects from the first compounding step and doubles as a decent one step polish with incredible finishing abilities. Of course the Flex 3401 adds to that level of added bite.

For instance, I can compound the paint with the PE14, Hybrid wool pad and Menzerna SC300. While this is very potent and will eat defects alive, it can and will leave the dreaded halograms. My next step will be the 3401 equipped with the white Hybrid pad and SF4000. This second step has the power and ability to clear up anything from the first heavy compounding step and will finish up LSP ready.

If you haven't ordered pads yet, I would recommend the new Lake Country thin pro pads. They feature Hybrid foam technology as found in the Hybrid pad line. For Flex machines I use the Hybrids. For normal DA machines I would use the thin pro pads.
Lake Country ThinPro Foam Pad System New for 2016! (http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-thin-pro-foam-pads.html)

Thanks for bringing that up.

Let me know how me works out for you on the smack technique thread.

Boejoula
12-30-2015, 07:23 AM
No problem. Thanks!

I would say Menzerna offers the most flexibility of any polish manufacture. After all, this is what they specialize in. They also supply the major German Automobile manufactures. This is the product line they use on the assembly lines.

I suggest SF4000 over FF3000 as SF4000 will finish out better than FF3000. SF4000 also has a bit more cut in it than people think (FF3000 as well) and can finish out some pretty heavy halograms and defects from the first compounding step and doubles as a decent one step polish with incredible finishing abilities. Of course the Flex 3401 adds to that level of added bite.

For instance, I can compound the paint with the PE14, Hybrid wool pad and Menzerna SC300. While this is very potent and will eat defects alive, it can and will leave the dreaded halograms. My next step will be the 3401 equipped with the white Hybrid pad and SF4000. This second step has the power and ability to clear up anything from the first heavy compounding step and will finish up LSP ready.

If you haven't ordered pads yet, I would recommend the new Lake Country thin pro pads. They feature Hybrid foam technology as found in the Hybrid pad line. For Flex machines I use the Hybrids. For normal DA machines I would use the thin pro pads.
Lake Country ThinPro Foam Pad System New for 2016! (http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-thin-pro-foam-pads.html)

Can you link the thread. I can't seem to find it right now.

Edit: Just realized that is the thread... Thought it said "smack technique" somewhere in the first post. Maybe that was a different thread referring to the one I posted yesterday..... Way to early in the morning for me.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
12-30-2015, 09:16 AM
Can you link the thread. I can't seem to find it right now.

Way to early in the morning for me.

Good morning! Get another cup of Joe!

Setec Astronomy
12-30-2015, 09:21 AM
should i choose the following "standard" products?
- heavy cut compound 1000
- medium cut polish 2500
- final finish 3000

Unless they have been updated, the reason people are steering you away from Power Gloss (Heavy Cut Compound 1000) and FF (Final Finish 3000) are because those are the older technology products that don't have the performance combination of the newer, more expensive products.

AZpolisher15
12-30-2015, 06:00 PM
No problem. Thanks!

Thanks for the guidance, Mike. Very much appreciated.

AZpolisher15
12-30-2015, 06:04 PM
Unless they have been updated, the reason people are steering you away from Power Gloss (Heavy Cut Compound 1000) and FF (Final Finish 3000) are because those are the older technology products that don't have the performance combination of the newer, more expensive products.

Thank you. Good to know. Can you mention some benefits of the newer tech products in addition to what Mike mentioned above?

AZpolisher15
12-30-2015, 06:12 PM
No problem. Thanks!

While you're suggesting SF4000, can I assume the same applies to SF3500 (the "new and improved" version of SF4000)?
Menzerna Nano Polish PO 106 FA, Menzerna Final Polish, Nano abrasives, finishing polish, professional polish (http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-super-nano-polish.html)

Paul A.
12-30-2015, 06:23 PM
Yes. :xyxthumbs:

Setec Astronomy
12-30-2015, 06:24 PM
Thank you. Good to know. Can you mention some benefits of the newer tech products in addition to what Mike mentioned above?

Well, it's become a bit muddled over the years, but the newer products were originally introduced for use on the Ceramiclear paints which were markedly harder than regular clearcoat. The type of abrasive apparently was smaller and sharper...enthusiasts quickly found that these Ceramiclear polishes worked great on regular paints, cut fast but left a much better finish than contemporary polishes, for the amount of cut.

So that's it in a nutshell, the newer tech products cut better but leave a better finish. As an example, if you look at the AG store page for Menzerna, you can see that Power Gloss (PG 1000) which was the compound in the line back in the day, has a cut of 8 and a gloss of 5. Move up to FG 400, and your cut goes up to 9, but instead of losing gloss, it's increased from PG up to a 7. More cut, better finish. Of course, you pay a price premium as a quart of PG lists for $30, while FG 400 is $50.

AZpolisher15
12-30-2015, 10:44 PM
Well, it's become a bit muddled over the years, but the newer products were originally introduced for use on the Ceramiclear paints which were markedly harder than regular clearcoat. The type of abrasive apparently was smaller and sharper...enthusiasts quickly found that these Ceramiclear polishes worked great on regular paints, cut fast but left a much better finish than contemporary polishes, for the amount of cut.

So that's it in a nutshell, the newer tech products cut better but leave a better finish. As an example, if you look at the AG store page for Menzerna, you can see that Power Gloss (PG 1000) which was the compound in the line back in the day, has a cut of 8 and a gloss of 5. Move up to FG 400, and your cut goes up to 9, but instead of losing gloss, it's increased from PG up to a 7. More cut, better finish. Of course, you pay a price premium as a quart of PG lists for $30, while FG 400 is $50.
Thanks, again. The reason I selected the three products in my original post was because the other ones sounded to me like they were more appropriate for ceramic clear, according to the AG descriptions. By default, I thought the 1000 and 3000 would be better choices for me.

Thanks to you and Mike for setting me straight. I think I'll go ahead and order the FG400 and PF2500.

As for a finishing polish, not yet sure whether I should select the
SF4000 or the "new and improved" version, SF3500. Do either of you have any thoughts on this?