PDA

View Full Version : Griots glass polish problem

Pages : [1] 2

choijw2
12-28-2015, 09:29 PM
I tried griots glass polish, glass polishing pad with gg 3" polisher.

And it added a lot of swirls on glass... I tried sf4000 with LCC white flat pad and still didn't get rid of everything.

SDAutoShine
12-28-2015, 09:41 PM
Are you sure the swirls were not there before?
Also was the glass clayed and cleaned before starting? If not that could cause the problem.

My solution would be using some cerium oxide and a rotary.

Hope this helps!

-Andrew

choijw2
12-28-2015, 10:30 PM
It was there before and only the spot I polished got those swirls.

And I cleaned and clayed it.

Anyway to fix this with DA? Can I just compound it and polish?

GSKR
12-28-2015, 10:53 PM
In 24 years of doing this I've never saw self induced swirls in glass with polish and a 3 inch gg machine.How is this possible

DaveT435
12-28-2015, 11:09 PM
You need to use CarPro rayon glass polishing pads. I know of a few companies glass polishing pads that do this.

choijw2
12-28-2015, 11:14 PM
You need to use CarPro rayon glass polishing pads. I know of a few companies glass polishing pads that do this.

I read some bad reviews on griots glass polishing system. Maybe I should've Stayed away from it ...

choijw2
12-28-2015, 11:15 PM
Btw griots glass polishing pads are really rough.... I'm not still convinced that they are good pass for glass ...

DaveT435
12-28-2015, 11:36 PM
I read some bad reviews on griots glass polishing system. Maybe I should've Stayed away from it ...

Yeah...I had a similar problem with LC glass polishing pads. I don't know much about their glass polish. I used the Ceriglass and CarPro pads and got it cleaned up.

SDAutoShine
12-29-2015, 12:02 AM
The abrasives will clump up and form bigger partials of abrasive and thus scratch and create swirls in the glass. Unless you are using a rotary and using cerium oxide really wet or using a big throw machine which gives a self cleaning effect you will not be very successful. Especially if you are trying to "work it down" or not working with it wet.

choijw2
12-29-2015, 12:26 AM
The abrasives will clump up and form bigger partials of abrasive and thus scratch and create swirls in the glass. Unless you are using a rotary and using cerium oxide really wet or using a big throw machine which gives a self cleaning effect you will not be very successful. Especially if you are trying to "work it down" or not working with it wet.

Maybe I missed something from griots then.

Since I used everything griots (polisher, pad, glass polish), thought it would been pretty straight forward.

Any tip on how to polish glass with with griots system? What should I do to avoid abrasive clumping ??

Should I use more products?

AutowerxDetailing
12-29-2015, 12:40 AM
I've never used the Griots glass polish; however, I'd be willing to bet that the Griots glass pads are the issue. They are WAY too aggressive.

Pick up the CarPro glass polishing system. CeriGlass is a cerium oxide based glass polish. It will remove the haze that was left by the Griots pads. Use them with a CarPro felt glass polishing pads. They are more flexible than the Griots pads and provide a better polishing action that is aggressive enough to remove below surface defects (scratches, marring, haze, etc.) and still has superior finishing ability to leave a flawless finish.

SDAutoShine
12-29-2015, 04:06 AM
Maybe I missed something from griots then.

Since I used everything griots (polisher, pad, glass polish), thought it would been pretty straight forward.

Any tip on how to polish glass with with griots system? What should I do to avoid abrasive clumping ??

Should I use more products?

I would use less product, have a spray bottle of water and keep it wet. After a few passes, clean the pad, clean the surface and repeate, don't use too much product.

JWilliams.RadiantDetail
12-29-2015, 05:32 AM
I always see people mention rotary for polishing glass. I understand why they work better. But what kind of results could I get with a DA, Ceriglass + Carpro pads? I ordered some Ceriglass and pads today, but I'm not really interested in getting a rotary since I'd only use it on windows.

DaveT435
12-29-2015, 09:01 AM
I always see people mention rotary for polishing glass. I understand why they work better. But what kind of results could I get with a DA, Ceriglass + Carpro pads? I ordered some Ceriglass and pads today, but I'm not really interested in getting a rotary since I'd only use it on windows.

I've used a DA with great results. If your just cleaning up road grime and light scratches. Keep the Ceriglass wet. Cover anything you don't want to get splattered with Ceriglass because it is messy.

Mike Phillips
12-29-2015, 09:47 AM
In 24 years of doing this I've never saw self induced swirls in glass with polish and a 3 inch gg machine.

How is this possible

I have. I've done it. I learned from the process and now I take what I've learned from experinece and share it with others so they don't make the same mistake.

In fact, I think I have 2-3 articles on how to polish glass and I stress the mistakes to avoid.

:dunno: