PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Paint

abrcrombe
06-22-2006, 05:32 PM
Ok, so I have some problems with my paint. Problem is, I don't know exactly what they are, and I don't know AT all how to fix them. Hopefully you guys/gals can chime in.

Problem #1:
This is what I think is hail damage? Except it hardly hails here. I don't even know how I would fix it. Polishing made the paint look deeper, making these more visible and pronounced.

http://www.photodump.com/viewer/abrcrombe/DSC_3981.html

Problem #2:
I am assuming this is clear coat damage. Any ways to fix this without a respray?

http://www.photodump.com/viewer/abrcrombe/DSC_3986.html

Problem #3:
I have no idea what this is, and how to fix it. It is on the passenger door, and looks like it could have been caused by the shadow of the mirror? I am perplexed on that one. (circled in red)

http://www.photodump.com/viewer/abrcrombe/DSC_3987a.html

Thanks in advance and hopefully I can figure this junk out!

P.S. Linked pictures due to size.

ScottB
06-22-2006, 05:45 PM
1. Nicks --- could be due to hail. Likely needs repaint.
2. Clearcoat/basecoat failure -- repaint is only option.
3. Unknown --- I see the darker shadowing, but unless the paint was reapplied there thicker, it should be correctable with polishing. Clearcoat is transparent and would not shadow even if applied unevenly.

abrcrombe
06-22-2006, 05:47 PM
LOVELY answers. I was afraid of those answers, but it may need to be done. I will discuss this with my folks. Thanks Scott

Mike T
06-22-2006, 07:21 PM
I have a similar problem happening on my hood that looks like your 1st picture. I thinking it clearcoat failure. Damn Nissan. I showed the local dealer and he toooks some pics and blew me off. that was awhile ago. I pissed. I have a feeling i'm gonna get the shaft.

abrcrombe
06-22-2006, 07:28 PM
Does it hail where you live Mike T? Has you car ever been exposed to hail?

joe.p
06-22-2006, 07:31 PM
1st pic looks to be clearcoat failure. I seen pics like this
on a lot of forums. If it is any help,you did a nice detail on the paint.

I had a repaint on my lft fender and the CC looks like it shrunk,maybe because the shop didn't have a spraybooth and temps where in the high 90's at the time,it piss'es me off everytime i see it..

abrcrombe
06-22-2006, 07:34 PM
LOL thanks. Half of the hood I am doing an experiment. Wash/clay/ a little swirl removal, AIO, 3 coats of SG, 2 coats of nattys blue. I want to compare to my original condition. So far it looks amazingly better! So how much was it to respray your left fender? Sounds like I might need a respray on a few different areas. :(

kellyinkc
06-22-2006, 07:44 PM
That first pic looks alot like my hood :( The white spots.
I used 83 and 80, it looks better. Maybe a new kind of pad?? XMT 3 seemed to do a little. Is it as strong as 83?
My hood is smooth yet when I lay my head on the hood I see what I think are dimples like a golf ball. Do yours?

abrcrombe
06-22-2006, 07:49 PM
I don't see any dimples on my hood. It really bugs me because they are more pronounced when the car is detailed! :( Maybe a glaze might have some fillings in it that may make them appear smaller. Is it possible to put a pure glaze (RMG, Meg's #7) on top of a sealant like SG?

kellyinkc
06-22-2006, 07:52 PM
do not know. Whats weird when car is in garage it's perfect! Never hurts to try.

Mike T
06-23-2006, 08:16 AM
Does it hail where you live Mike T? Has you car ever been exposed to hail?
No, No hail. From what I have gathered it CC failer. The damn car is an '05 and it has CC prolems? Just my luck.

abrcrombe
06-23-2006, 11:53 AM
Ugh! If there is CC failure,do they need to respray the base coat too? How much are we looking at for a respray of the two bumpers, side mirrors, and hood.