PDA

View Full Version : Bad Clear on Passenger Side?

depotSTI
12-27-2015, 07:56 PM
So I went back and did some correct this past weekend on my 2012 STi on the swirls i had caused not washing the car thoroughly enough. With my new Rupes :) I knocked out the drivers side of the car with ease using Meguires cutting foam pad with Rupes polish. I had 80% correction with that combo and moved on to the passenger side...

This side of the car acting completely differently...The polish had a really hard time breaking down. It even caked up and dried at one point. Could my clear be different on this side of the car? I did have dents on either side of the car and were repaired numerous times as i was not happy with the initial work the body shop did. Did they take a short cut on the extra clear because i hassled them? Im just at a loss for how different it reacted to the meguires/rupes polish combo. The rear quarter panel acted just like the drivers side and i was able to get the same 80% correction as the drivers side.

Looking for some input here friends. How many compounds do you think my subaru clear can take before it is compromised?

GSKR
12-27-2015, 08:18 PM
Were you doing it outside,maybe the paint was hotter versus the other side of car.Did you clean pads often thru the correction process.maybe the clear is different which you stated there was a repair done.Its not the many compounds it's the abrasives in it that breaks the clear down.make sure there is no overspray on the panels that are giving you promblems.change pads frequently or maybe the clear is harder then the rest of car.

The Guz
12-27-2015, 08:20 PM
Has that area been repainted?

depotSTI
12-27-2015, 08:37 PM
Yes. Drivers side entire side was repainted and cleared due to deer collision. Passenger side was dented (span across doors) at the body shop. Im assuming the doors were both repainted and cleared...

depotSTI
12-28-2015, 06:05 PM
Where my geeks at??

The Guz
12-28-2015, 06:21 PM
The clear could be harder on that side and may need something more aggressive.

Jsmooth
12-28-2015, 07:12 PM
Ohhh I know whats going on! So this is what is known as "sticky subi paint" on the factory painted side. I had a ton of luck against this paint(after pulling my hair experiencing what you did) with m205 and water. Basically using Kevin Brown style. If you need more details I can happily walk you through it on the phone.

depotSTI
12-29-2015, 10:59 PM
Ohhh I know whats going on! So this is what is known as "sticky subi paint" on the factory painted side. I had a ton of luck against this paint(after pulling my hair experiencing what you did) with m205 and water. Basically using Kevin Brown style. If you need more details I can happily walk you through it on the phone.

That would be amazing! Can to message me? Appreciate the help cant wait to hear more

DetailGroove
12-30-2015, 12:06 AM
Are you cleaning the pads as you work along the paint?

Are you sure the hood wasn't warm on that side?

What other combos have you tried?

depotSTI
12-30-2015, 08:30 AM
Are you cleaning the pads as you work along the paint?

Are you sure the hood wasn't warm on that side?

What other combos have you tried?

I was not doing a good job cleaning the pad as i worked.

The drivers side went well but by the time i got to the passenger side it must have been too contaminated.

I didnt even touch the hood after i didnt have success on the passenger side.

I tried micro fiber and foam pads with m105, gtechniq, and rupes polishes. I actually didnt try the 105 on the passenger side because i was becoming fearful i was burning through the clear...how many 105 compounds does the soft clear have before it is all gone? Maybe it needed the more aggressive polish

DetailGroove
12-30-2015, 09:10 AM
I was not doing a good job cleaning the pad as i worked.

The drivers side went well but by the time i got to the passenger side it must have been too contaminated.

I didnt even touch the hood after i didnt have success on the passenger side.

I tried micro fiber and foam pads with m105, gtechniq, and rupes polishes. I actually didnt try the 105 on the passenger side because i was becoming fearful i was burning through the clear...how many 105 compounds does the soft clear have before it is all gone? Maybe it needed the more aggressive polish

Unless you have a rotary buffer with a wool pad and press down on the buffer as hard as you can for 5 minutes, I doubt you'll burn the paint.

The Rupes is a super safe machine. If you really wanted to see how much clear you had left, you can buy a cheap paint gauge to guesstimate how much clear you have on your car.

Give it another try and make sure you clean the pads well as you work.

Give it another try and make sure you clean your pads off properly as you work. If the pad are clogged up, they won't be able to do it's job. Especially if you keep on adding more and more product

I'm sure others will chime in with better advice :)