PDA

View Full Version : Pre-wax cleaner recommendation

AZpolisher15
12-27-2015, 03:13 AM
I'm looking for a pre-wax cleaner/polish. What's your favorite out of these three and why?

Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish
Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion
Four star Ultimate Pre-wax Cleaner

Other recommendations?

Shortspark
12-27-2015, 04:46 AM
I bought the Four Star Ultimate and it arrived just the other day. I have not used it yet but will give a review when I do. The product I have used for non-abrasive cleaning is P21S Paintwork Cleanser. It is excellent in every way and the only reason I got the Four Star was to try something different. It will be interesting to see how the Four Star matches up because P21S sets a high standard. I have also heard good things about Squeaky Clean by Duragloss and I hope to try it someday as well. If it is by Duragloss you know it has to be good!

The Guz
12-27-2015, 05:42 AM
You can also add DP Coating Prep Polish and Pinnacle Black Label Surface Cleansing Polish to your list. Both are non-abrasive paint cleaners.

Bunky
12-27-2015, 06:07 AM
I also had picked up the Four Star to try something different. It seemed a bit oilier and wipe off was a little more difficult. Wolfgang is good.

Poorboy's Pro Polish is a reliable product.

Paul A.
12-27-2015, 09:37 AM
I am a huge fan of staying in the family of products and would personally use Blackfire with a BF LSP, Pinnacle with a Pinnacle LSP, etc. Consider this is just my opinion and practice and by no means a dictate here to those who practice differently.

That being said, i absolutely LOVED P21S GEPC before any carnauba LSP's i used to use.

Shortspark, i have been wanting to try the DG Squeaky Clean product however cannot find it anywhere larger than a 4 ounce bottle. Even talked to Duragloss folks and they only showed it being offered in that size.

My favorite "universal" paint prep product nowadays is Car Pro Eraser. Sure, it's not a machined paint cleaner and is a MF wipedown step i do just before my LSP's but i like what it does. While that may go against my principle of "staying in the family" as i'm not using Car Pro coatings (yet) it works well for me as i use a few different LSP's.

Mp0wer
12-27-2015, 09:45 AM
I've heard good things about Prima Amigo.

Prima Amigo Pre-Wax Cleanser & Gloss Enhancer, Prima prewax polish (http://www.autogeek.net/prima-amigo-cleanser.html)

You could always get the pinnacle and blackfire samples

FUNX650
12-27-2015, 11:01 AM
I'm looking for a pre-wax cleaner/polish. What's your favorite out of these three and why?

Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish
Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion
Four star Ultimate Pre-wax Cleaner

Other recommendations?
To begin with:
What's the "condition" of the paint?

Then, (out of curiosity):
What LSP are you going to be using?

Bob

AZpolisher15
12-27-2015, 12:36 PM
To begin with:
What's the "condition" of the paint?

Then, (out of curiosity):
What LSP are you going to be using?

Bob

2014 Toyota. A few very light scattered scratches. Really have to look closely to see them. I'm really not seeing any swirling, but the paint just doesn't have the "pop" anymore. I plan to use ULW or M21 in summer and Collinite 476 in winter.

Just ordered a GG6 (hasn't yet arrived) and was going to use UP as a paint cleaner before applying an LSP. But I'm wondering if there's something better that I could be using as a cleaner first.

FUNX650
12-27-2015, 02:44 PM
2014 Toyota. A few very light scattered scratches. Really have to look closely to see them. I'm really not seeing any swirling, but the paint just doesn't have the "pop" anymore. I plan to use ULW or M21 in summer and Collinite 476 in winter.

Just ordered a GG6 (hasn't yet arrived) and was going to use UP as a paint cleaner before applying an LSP. But I'm wondering if there's something better that I could be using as a cleaner first.
For this paint's condition:
UP or M205 will make for excellent paint cleaners.
Doing a "Test Spot" will tell the tale.

Good choices for the LSP!

Bob

AZpolisher15
12-27-2015, 06:59 PM
For this paint's condition:
UP or M205 will make for excellent paint cleaners.
Doing a "Test Spot" will tell the tale.

Good choices for the LSP!

Bob

Thanks for your advice. Looks like I'm on track. Out of curiosity, why do you suggest UP/M205 over the others that I listed? I'm not doubting you- just learning as much as I can (I've logged many hours per week just reading the forum!). I'm assuming the three I listed are less aggressive.

wytstang
12-27-2015, 07:06 PM
Pinnacle PCL works fantastic but it's oils would not allow a sealant to bond well to the paint. Haven't used the others you listed but I have used Klasse AIO that works well and is wax & sealant friendly.

AZpolisher15
12-28-2015, 12:35 AM
All good info, thanks all!

Mike Phillips
12-28-2015, 08:17 AM
2014 Toyota. A few very light scattered scratches. Really have to look closely to see them.

I'm really not seeing any swirling, but the paint just doesn't have the "pop" anymore.

Just ordered a GG6 (hasn't yet arrived) and was going to use UP as a paint cleaner before applying an LSP.

But I'm wondering if there's something better that I could be using as a cleaner first.

Here's what I tell others and practice myself.

If you're going to go through the time and energy to apply "something" to car paint before sealant it then it takes just as much time and energy to apply a fine cut polish as it takes to apply a non-abrasive paint cleaner.

The real world difference is the fine cut polish will do EVERYTHING a paint cleaner will do and more because it will also remove fine paint defects like swirls, scratches, water spots and oxidation. The paint cleaner will not remove anything outside of light surface impurities, surface contamination and light oxidation.

So using a true polish will do more for the paint for the same time and effort.

And... I can guarantee you that after machine apply a fine cut polish the paint WILL regain it's pop!

:)

david b
12-28-2015, 12:08 PM
That makes total sense. Can you recommend some fine cut polishes?

Thanks in advance!

Mike Phillips
12-28-2015, 06:28 PM
That makes total sense. Can you recommend some fine cut polishes?

Thanks in advance!

Works perfect every time on every paint.

Pinnacle Advanced Finishing Polish (http://www.autogeek.net/best-car-finishing-polish.html)

:xyxthumbs: