PDA

View Full Version : Removing scratches from glass ( inside)

AAezra
12-26-2015, 01:04 AM
recentlynsaw a topic about removing scratches. Went out to my car and they look just like the kind I have on my car BUT, looking more closely its on the inside windows. In the posts by mike and others using carpro ceriglass. How much pressure has to be actually applied or can you manage by using light pressure for a longer duration?

the reason I ask about the pressure is because the windows do not have a traditional frame to seal but rather the window slides up into the body of the car to seal kinda like the new cameros.

And merry Christmas everybody sorry if the post sounds scatter brained( long day)

Paul A.
12-26-2015, 10:20 AM
Ceriglass, for me, was a very messy correction. Almost constant spritzes of distilled water from a spray bottle to keep it wet while working it would probably prevent me from using it anywhere near my interior. If i did i would probably want to completely cover my interior with plastic. If it's only one isolated scratch maybe a concentrated effort worked by hand? I would still want to cover up as much as possible so any product/slurry sling doesn't end up on your interior surfaces.

Rsurfer
12-26-2015, 10:58 AM
Is it one or two scratches or a bunch of tiny hair line scratches? Like paint, if you can feel it with your finger nail, it's probably too deep to remove with a polish.

Like Puckman said, it's a messey job especially for the interior.

Detail-Impressions
12-26-2015, 11:30 AM
If you never tried to polish/cut glass? I vote to replace the glass.

Mike Phillips
12-26-2015, 11:47 AM
I used a PE14 with a 3" backing plate to remove a scratch about 4" long on the inside of a Ferrari windshield once.

It was right above the steering wheel so very tight to get the buff er between the steering wheel and the glass.

Took me 2 hours.

:)

AAezra
12-26-2015, 02:25 PM
Ceriglass, for me, was a very messy correction. Almost constant spritzes of distilled water from a spray bottle to keep it wet while working it would probably prevent me from using it anywhere near my interior. If i did i would probably want to completely cover my interior with plastic. If it's only one isolated scratch maybe a concentrated effort worked by hand? I would still want to cover up as much as possible so any product/slurry sling doesn't end up on your interior surfaces.
I was thinking by hand but it's the whole window pretty much and not sure my arms would make it heh. I also,thought about how messy it would be any covering all with plastic. At work a guy uses some painters plastic covering stuff on a roll that had a slight adhesive on one side. Was thinking maybe just wrap EVERYTHING LOL.

AAezra
12-26-2015, 02:27 PM
Is it one or two scratches or a bunch of tiny hair line scratches? Like paint, if you can feel it with your finger nail, it's probably too deep to remove with a polish.

Like Puckman said, it's a messey job especially for the interior.

It was late when I checked but I will go take a feel with my fingernail. The scratches are a bunch of tiny verticals scratches enough to make the glass look semi dull

AAezra
12-26-2015, 02:31 PM
I used a PE14 with a 3" backing plate to remove a scratch about 4" long on the inside of a Ferrari windshield once.

It was right above the steering wheel so very tight to get the buff er between the steering wheel and the glass.

Took me 2 hours.

:)
Just looked up what a pe14 is. That looks like a big rotary to fit in a what I images was a tight space. Nightmare lol?

blkSRT
12-26-2015, 02:34 PM
If you are sure the scratches are on the inside and that it's worth your time I'd remove the glass from the door.

AAezra
12-27-2015, 02:07 AM
Checked the glass again before it froze over tonight. There are defiantly scratches on the outside of the glass as well as 1-2 long scratches I can catch with my fingernail.

I believe there still might be very very light scratches on the inside of the window but I only noticed them when the windows fogged up at night from the temperature drop. Hopefully just streaks from a dirty window/seal

AAezra
12-27-2015, 02:11 AM
If you are sure the scratches are on the inside and that it's worth your time I'd remove the glass from the door.

Might have to do that. Really hope I don't and only as a last resort unless and looks like the scratches were on the outside, majority are it seems anyways. It's my brothers car and soon to be mine so I can expire meant and learn on the car. That and it looks horrible scratched up so bad