PDA

View Full Version : Swirled up Ram 2500 looking for advice

Rgory
12-25-2015, 12:50 PM
I recently picked up a 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 in Mineral Grey. The paint is hammered. I use to own a similar truck, same color, and the paint always seemed to glow.

Thanks to Autogeek's sale I was able to get some supplies delivered before christmas. This will be my first time polishing with a DA (porter cable 7424XP) Although I have gone through hundreds of posts, and I am currently reading Mike's book, I wanted to run through my game plan to see if you guys see any rookie mistakes:

Wash Wheels- Dedicated wheel brush & mit
Decontaminate wheels IRONX
Wash Vehicle (Foam master Foam Gun, 2BM, Chenille wash mit)
Decontaminate Vehicle IRONX
Clay- Wolfgang Clay Combo

Perform test spot:
WG TSR 3.0 on 6.5" LC Flat Orange Pad
WG Finishing Glaze on 6.5" LC Flat White Pad
WG DGPS on 6.5" LC Flat Grey Pad
Colonite 845 on 6.5" Red Pad
WG Exterior Trim Sealant for the Plastic
WG Perfekt Vision for the Glass
Colonite 850 for the chrome bumpers

I have a few questions:

1.) Is the 6.5" Pad correct on a 5" backing plate?
2.) I read a lot of different opinions on whether or not to top the DGPS. Is 845 ok over the top or should I leave DGPS as the LSP? This vehicle is garaged and used mainly for 300 mile trips out of town.
3.) It seems the consensus is that I should keep the clay off the glass as it may become embedded in pitted glass. Is it ok to polish over the glass, chrome, or headlights/tail lights?
4.) I have 6 orange and 4 white pads I am hoping that is a good starting point if I clean the pads on the fly.
5.) I should use the least aggressive method, so should I try to use TSR 3.0 on the White Pad to see if it removes the defects? If it does would I followup with the finishing glaze on a white pad?

I am sure my questions may seem trivial or mundane, I have just never ventured down this road before and would like to make sure I am on the right track.

The first 3 pictures are of my current predicament. The last picture is how the same paint looked on my old truck.

Thank you for your help & Happy Holidays!

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
12-26-2015, 03:47 AM
I recently picked up a 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 in Mineral Grey. The paint is hammered. I use to own a similar truck, same color, and the paint always seemed to glow.

Thanks to Autogeek's sale I was able to get some supplies delivered before christmas. This will be my first time polishing with a DA (porter cable 7424XP) Although I have gone through hundreds of posts, and I am currently reading Mike's book, I wanted to run through my game plan to see if you guys see any rookie mistakes:

Hi, welcome to AutoGeekOnline! Congrats.

Wash Wheels- Dedicated wheel brush & mit
Decontaminate wheels IRONX
Wash Vehicle (Foam master Foam Gun, 2BM, Chenille wash mit)
Decontaminate Vehicle IRONX
Clay- Wolfgang Clay Combo

Perform test spot:
WG Finishing Glaze on 6.5" LC Flat White Pad
WG DGPS on 6.5" LC Flat Grey Pad
Colonite 845 on 6.5" Red Pad
WG Exterior Trim Sealant for the Plastic
WG Perfekt Vision for the Glass
Colonite 850 for the chrome bumpers

Corrected. List looks good.

I have a few questions:

1.) Is the 6.5" Pad correct on a 5" backing plate?
2.) I read a lot of different opinions on whether or not to top the DGPS. Is 845 ok over the top or should I leave DGPS as the LSP? This vehicle is garaged and used mainly for 300 mile trips out of town.
3.) It seems the consensus is that I should keep the clay off the glass as it may become embedded in pitted glass. Is it ok to polish over the glass, chrome, or headlights/tail lights?
4.) I have 6 orange and 4 white pads I am hoping that is a good starting point if I clean the pads on the fly.
5.) I should use the least aggressive method, so should I try to use TSR 3.0 on the White Pad to see if it removes the defects? If it does would I followup with the finishing glaze on a white pad?

1.) No. You will need a proper sized backing plate. Here is an old article written by Mike on pad/plate size.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/20620-5-6-backing-plates-6-5-pads-pictures-show-safety-margin.html

2.) That will be fine. However WGDGPS needs 12 hours cure time before adding another layer. Meaning apply it to entire vehicle, wipe off, and then let it cur for 12 hours.

3.) You can clay the glass. If it becomes embedded into the pits, a strong glass cleaner like windex will remove it. You can polish over these areas. For glass use a dedicated glass polish such as the WG Perfekt Vision Glass Polish.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/97331-product-review-wolfgang-perfekt-vision-glass-polish.html

4.) That should be fine. Remember to properly size up your pads to the plate.

5.) Start off with the least aggressive method for the test spot. Finishing Glaze on the white pad.

Thank you for your help & Happy Holidays!

Likewise!

Rgory
12-26-2015, 09:26 AM
Mike,

Thank you for the reply. I am reading Mike's article on backing plates now. Also, Finishing Glaze on the white pad does make the most sense to start a test spot with. I am anxious to get some time in the garage to tackle this beast.

Rgory
12-28-2015, 10:25 PM
I got some seat time with the PC DA today, and I am really impressed. This forum and Mike's book gave me the confidence to put this machine to the paint. I am starting to get a better feel for it and I am achieving 75% correction. I am using the PC on 6 with an orange LC flat and WG TSR. I have slowed my arm speed, ensured I was completing 8 full passes per section, and kept my work areas small- roughly the size of a microfiber. I am wondering if a yellow pad may have made the difference.

I have a limited time to complete this project over the holidays, and by completing test sections I was able to get the best finish I could given the skills and tools I have in hand.

Rgory
12-28-2015, 10:27 PM
Here is a bad picture highlighting tape line separating two test sections.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
12-29-2015, 02:10 AM
Looks pretty good.

You can step up to the yellow pad if you need more cut however I would move to Wolfgang Uber compound on the orange pad before I mess with the yellow pad.

After you get the truck completed with TSR on the orange pad, go over a section with Wolfgang Finishing Glaze on a finer pad and check the results and determine if the results are worth going over the truck a second time with a finishing step before adding your LSP.

When time is of concern you can perform a second step with an AIO product that will polish the paint while adding a protective agent effectively performing 2 steps in one.
all in one polish, car polish wax, cleaner wax, best car wax polish, Klasse All In One, one step polish wax, AIO wax, AIO paint sealant (http://www.autogeek.net/all-in-one-cleaner-wax.html)