PDA

View Full Version : White Pads and marring/scouring

AZpolisher15
12-25-2015, 12:37 AM
I recently read something (from a very reputable source) saying that cutting pads aren't recommended to be used on DA polishers- due to the possibility of hazing/scouring the surface. And this has something to do with the oscillating action of DA's differing from the action of rotary polishers.

I've read of many instances and recommendations on the AG forum of people using LC white pads for polishing and cleaner wax/AIO application. And these pads "have very light cutting action", as described on in thr AG store.

As a new guy to DA polishing, should I ONLY be using black or blue LC pads? (I've chosen flat). I'm aware of the importance of test spots and least aggressive pads/products first, but should I simply limit myself to black or blue pads? And just stay away from white pads (and obviously orange) entirely? Thanks!

custmsprty
12-25-2015, 12:43 AM
Where ever you read that is not a "reputable source"

I use all the pads you mention all time with all different types of products and 5 different da's and multiple combinations w/o any marring what so ever.

PS I only use blue or black pads on my da's to apply LSP's meaning sealants and waxes. My go to pads are Orange and White and occasionally more aggressive ones.

VISITOR
12-25-2015, 12:58 AM
depending on the severity of the scratches/defects, using a more aggressive pad like cutting or microfiber pad may be necessary. that's why it is recommended to follow up and remove the light marring/hazing left behind with a polishing/finishing pad (sometimes it may not be needed depending on how the paint reacts to the first step). always do a test spot so you can dial in a process...

dlc95
12-25-2015, 01:46 AM
If you ever get the chance to experience a blue Rupes foam cutting pad, and see the finish it leaves, it will astound you. That pad feels like straight up sand paper.

The pad you're probably referring to is the old maroon Meguiar's foam cutting pad. Similar comments we're made regarding that pad. The new maroon formula doesn't have that issue from what I've read.

Also consider the Lake Country Hydrotech line. Even their agressive Cyan cutting pad leaves a very nice finish, despite it's aggressive nature.

As far as the black pads go, I like them for cleaner/waxes, and pure waxes.

The white pad is very versatile, and usually leaves a great finish. I've never had a bad result from them.

Mike Phillips has said that the abrasive technology is of greater importance than the pad.

Paul A.
12-25-2015, 11:01 AM
Everything, and i mean everything, depends on YOUR PAINT on YOUR CAR and in the conditions of how it is kept, maintained and cared for. I have used my PC to be as aggressive as my rotary so i quickly dismiss any claims that it isn't effective from compounding to jewelling. Just takes a little longer.

Now with advanced machines like the Flex 3401, all the Rupes offerings and the Griots BOSS system ( and maybe some others i missed), DA's now rival rotary results. Couple them with the advanced product offerings these days either SMAT, DAT or hybrid compounds/polishes and DA capabilities have given the hobbyist rotary results.

Limiting yourself to only black or blue pads may be all you need if they give you what you want on YOUR paint. Test spots with what you have tells you whether you need something more agressive or not.

VISITOR
12-25-2015, 12:07 PM
Everything, and i mean everything, depends on YOUR PAINT on YOUR CAR and in the conditions of how it is kept, maintained and cared for. I have used my PC to be as aggressive as my rotary so i quickly dismiss any claims that it isn't effective from compounding to jewelling. Just takes a little longer.

Now with advanced machines like the Flex 3401, and the Griots BOSS system (and maybe some others i missed), DA's now rival rotary results. Couple them with the advanced product offerings these days either SMAT, DAT or hybrid compounds/polishes and DA capabilities have given the hobbyist rotary results.

a few years back, paul dalton had a gloss meter that showed the results (iirc also mentioned it too) using a long throw DA that proved that it has the same if not more gloss than using the rotary. also, kevin brown has mentioned that the DA can equal or surpass the rotary with the right pads/liquids as well. who is anyone to argue with these (perfectionist) guys right?