PDA

View Full Version : Rupes Mark II , Mark ii NICE!

Pages : [1] 2

SonOfOC
12-23-2015, 07:09 PM
So I got my Mark II the other day and was able to test it on a fender. The Mark II has many small improvements and one big one.

1. The big improvement, definitely has more grunt. Feels different on curve panels because its spinning more. Doesn't have that high pitch whine as the first generation.

2. The trigger lock engages easier.

3. The hand placement cap no longer moves around and is nice and tight

4. The allen wrench holder is also snug with no play.

5. The speed dial also has less play.

6. Power cord is light years better than the fist batch of of Rupes. (Later batches of first generation did get a cord improvement).

7. Backing plate is the grey one and doesn't have the insane grip like the previous blue backing plate. The only downside, is the backing plates from Mark I and Mark II are NOT interchangeable.

Those that own the previous generation knows that those parts listed above were loose, wobbly, or had lots of play. Overall, build quality has been much improved. Everything feels tighter and solid! Sorry I don't have a more comprehensive review, I've only used it on a fender with a nice concave line....it left a smile on my face. :)

GREAT JOB RUPES! :dblthumb2:

JSou
12-23-2015, 07:28 PM
Sweet! I'm waiting on mine to arrive.

7.3powerstroke
12-23-2015, 07:32 PM
Cool review...

Looking forward to my 15

ronkh57
12-23-2015, 07:40 PM
Please don't make me buy another polisher

hdez
12-23-2015, 09:16 PM
This are designated for heavy duty work? Like 10 cars per week.

SonOfOC
12-24-2015, 02:38 PM
Please don't make me buy another polisher

Do it Ron!:xyxthumbs:

This are designated for heavy duty work? Like 10 cars per week.

Define heavy duty?

Chris@AutoCleanse
12-24-2015, 02:56 PM
Why you say the backing plates don't fit from version 1 to version 2. Do you mean thread size, thickness of plates or something totally different. Thanks in advance.

EzyBrzy
12-24-2015, 03:01 PM
I wonder which is smoother/quieter. Boss or the new MKII's?

wrx495
12-24-2015, 03:14 PM
oh tough choice now.. this or the flex..

Mp0wer
12-24-2015, 03:37 PM
SonOfOC would love to see some pictures :dblthumb2:

SonOfOC
12-24-2015, 03:51 PM
Why you say the backing plates don't fit from version 1 to version 2. Do you mean thread size, thickness of plates or something totally different. Thanks in advance.

Yes size of slot is different. Thickness is also different. Weight is identical down to the gram!
(Mark I top, Mark II bottom)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=907&pictureid=5060

Chris@AutoCleanse
12-24-2015, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the info buddy. ^^^^^^^^^

Bunky
12-24-2015, 05:19 PM
If they only had a trade up program.....

Todd@RUPES
12-24-2015, 06:35 PM
Yes size of slot is different. Thickness is also different. Weight is identical down to the gram!
(Mark I top, Mark II bottom)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=907&pictureid=5060

While I won't comment with 100% certainty...

The later ES (legacy, MkI) models had an enlarged tab which required a larger slot in the backing plate. The backing plates are backwards compatible (you can use a newer backing plate on an older model but you cannot use an older backing plate on a newer model).

The MK II backing plates that I have (pre-production) bolt up to the MK I, no problem. However, the earlier MK I backing plates (small slot) will not bolt up to the later MK I nor the MK II.

Also, the MK II backing plate features identical lateral or sheer strength, but significantly vertical or peel strength.

It is important to maintain lateral strength to keep the pad firmly seated on the machine and to reduce (significantly) movement loss (increase power). It took a lot of research to develop the hook on the MK II backing plate to maintain this while making the peel strength less.

The result is both the pads and backing plate will last longer as the hooks will not get straightened nor will the loops get pulled apart. Win Win :)

Mike@ShineStruck
12-24-2015, 07:44 PM
How does the Mark 2 compare to the boss regarding stalling

I constantly kept reading about how the mark1 stalled on panels which is why i ended up with the boss.
My boss hasnt stalled on me yet, and im new to machine polishing .
So obviously the bigger watt motor compensated for the stalling issue... but it does generate allot of heat wbich i feel will comprimise the pads longterm durability. .

IF you also cured the stalling issues with your more efficient motor while retaining same wattage i then think you guys took the better route
as you will generate less heat then the boss while potentionaly producing less heat then the mark 1..

Thoughts?