PDA

View Full Version : High humidity

tone357
12-22-2015, 09:38 PM
Is it advisable to polish and wax when there is 80-95% humidity?

custmsprty
12-22-2015, 09:44 PM
Is it advisable to polish and wax when there is 80-95% humidity?

I do it all the time in Florida, no way to get around it.

GSKR
12-22-2015, 09:58 PM
Ditto just make sure your hydrated.

tone357
12-22-2015, 10:06 PM
What if it's 100% humidity. Raining, but of course in a garage?

custmsprty
12-22-2015, 10:13 PM

No issues, I speak from experience down here in Fla.

Paul A.
12-22-2015, 10:15 PM
I'll add on to custmsprty's comments, it's our way of life down here in west central FL. No issues other than waiting for sealants to set up longer.

GSKR
12-22-2015, 10:19 PM
I do this for a living,so the summer months in south fla are brutal so I prepare everyday for the conditions such as a lot of vitamin water and 6 tee shirts a day.If you are not prepared for that humidity especially in a garage you will start to vomit very dangerous.I will usually pass on working in the garage and go back when it's not raining.

custmsprty
12-22-2015, 10:29 PM
I'll add on to custmsprty's comments, it's our way of life down here in west central FL. No issues other than waiting for sealants to set up longer.

Yeah, I put a coat of CG Celeste D on my ride Saturday when it was cool out and it dried so fast, I wasn't used to that!

Paul A.
12-23-2015, 08:28 AM
Yes, isn't it nice to get some winter days down here when the humidity drops and you don't use sweat to rework the polish on that section?

Tone357, i have never experienced any adverse affects of compounding or polishing in high humidity. Like i said, though, it may take a little longer for waxes or sealants to set up before wipe off. I don't ever work in full sun either...even "sun friendly" products.

LSNAutoDetailing
12-23-2015, 09:43 AM
An AC in the garage does a nice job at keeping the humidity lower... But no issues, except as others have stated; stay hydrated.

cardaddy
12-27-2015, 07:15 PM

You mean like it's been here for what seems MONTHS around Atlanta? :rolleyes:

The biggest problem we have lately is the darned floors keep sweating!!!! :(

Crazy though that we're wearing T's and shorts after Christmas, huh. :laughing:

Yesterday here, of course I had the garage open, and it was humid as all heck.
Buuuuuuuuuttttt.... if I'm doing a project in the garage I'll open the kitchen door and situate fans from the door, then into and around the garage where I'm moving air. That does two things, first it keeps you cooler because there is a breeze, but secondly, it'll move 'conditioned' air from inside the house out into the garage. Which when it's very high humidity, you end up with lower humidity. When it's hot, you end up with AC, and when it's cold, you end up with heat.

Well... those halogen lights also put out their own (fairly intense) heat. (As I'm sure you noticed yesterday.) ;)

tone357
12-27-2015, 10:12 PM
You mean like it's been here for what seems MONTHS around Atlanta? :rolleyes:

The biggest problem we have lately is the darned floors keep sweating!!!! :(

Crazy though that we're wearing T's and shorts after Christmas, huh. :laughing:

Yesterday here, of course I had the garage open, and it was humid as all heck.
Buuuuuuuuuttttt.... if I'm doing a project in the garage I'll open the kitchen door and situate fans from the door, then into and around the garage where I'm moving air. That does two things, first it keeps you cooler because there is a breeze, but secondly, it'll move 'conditioned' air from inside the house out into the garage. Which when it's very high humidity, you end up with lower humidity. When it's hot, you end up with AC, and when it's cold, you end up with heat.

Well... those halogen lights also put out their own (fairly intense) heat. (As I'm sure you noticed yesterday.) ;)
Yes sir I did. The reason I asked the question is, sometime before I got serious about correcting my paint, I applied Klasse AOI ( by hand) in my garage while it was raining and the results were not good. Looking back on it, it was more than likely user error.

Desertnate
12-28-2015, 09:13 AM
Tone357, i have never experienced any adverse affects of compounding or polishing in high humidity. Like i said, though, it may take a little longer for waxes or sealants to set up before wipe off.

Same here. I've worked in 85%+ humidity in the summer with no ill effects on the vehicle. I don't do quite as well as the vehicle.. Even the shade of a garage staying hydrated is a real challenge. Constant hydration and occasional "cool down" breaks are a must.

cardaddy
12-28-2015, 04:37 PM
Yes sir I did. The reason I asked the question is, sometime before I got serious about correcting my paint, I applied Klasse AOI ( by hand) in my garage while it was raining and the results were not good. Looking back on it, it was more than likely user error.

Yeah... sometimes Klasse is a bit finicky. Might contact Roger - Klasse Act as our resident Klasse guru and I'm sure he'll have something to input. :props: He's even come up with his own version of Quick Detail spray, he calls Frankendetailer that has KSG in it that he's sent to a few of us. :D