PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars Glass Cleaner (D120) as washer fluid??

jarred767
12-21-2015, 05:55 PM
So, just curious, can I use this (diluted of course) in the window washer fluid tank of my car? I'm tryin to go through my gallon and figured maybe I can make up a diluted gallon and fill my washer fluid tank? Any drawback to this? Anyone done it before?

I figure that its alcohol based so I shouldn't have to worry about it freezing, but figured I should see if anyone else has done something similar in the past and what kind of results you got. Thanks guys!

Setec Astronomy
12-21-2015, 06:04 PM
I don't think the alcohol content in there is high enough to give it much freeze protection, but maybe you don't need that in Oregon. My recollection is that cold temp washer fluid is 20-30% methanol, so since you dilute D120 10:1, even if it was 100% IPA you'd only get 10% in your washer fluid.

It's a good idea, though.

FUNX650
12-21-2015, 06:30 PM
This D120 windshield-washer-reservoir fluid's
overspray might actually wind up performing
nearly as effective as an "Eraser-style" wipe-down...

Bob

Guyb
12-21-2015, 06:42 PM
This mean your moving away for D120?

jarred767
12-21-2015, 06:46 PM

Bob
Yeah, the more I thought about it, the less I liked the thought of that and the negative effects it might have on coating on the paint, maybe diluted D114 instead?

jarred767
12-21-2015, 08:12 PM
I don't think the alcohol content in there is high enough to give it much freeze protection, but maybe you don't need that in Oregon. My recollection is that cold temp washer fluid is 20-30% methanol, so since you dilute D120 10:1, even if it was 100% IPA you'd only get 10% in your washer fluid.

It's a good idea, though.

I actually do have to worry about freezing, I live on the eastern side of the cascades and it's pretty much in the 20s at night 6-8 months out of the year. (high desert climate). That being said, I was just wanting to fill it up before a road trip tomorrow didn't want to run to the store and grab the real stuff. I think I might go ahead with a diluted D114 instead after thinking it over though. Maybe fill it up with the real stuff once I get back.

This mean your moving away for D120?
I've liked it a lot, just looking to switch it up and try some other products.

Eldorado2k
12-22-2015, 12:50 AM

Bob

That's an interesting thought and something I once realized myself with D120.

Not too long ago I performed the baggy test on my car and was shocked at how rough my paint was with contaminants as it had only been a couple of months since I had waxed it. I've been used to going nearly a year or even more without having to clay so I was really surprised at what might've gone wrong.

Then a few weeks later after finishing up my own car [windows last] I stepped back to admire my results. That's when I noticed a bunch of specs across my hood and thought "what the heck is that"

As I got closer I touched the specs and that's when I realized it was a bunch of overspray from the D120. Then I immediately thought of the fact that D120 can remove wax. And that's when I finally had an answer as to why my paint had failed the baggy test in such a short ammount of time...

Note to self: Don't ever spray glass cleaner onto the window ever again. Spray onto the towel only. Haven't had the same problem since.😉

asianisafish
12-22-2015, 01:23 AM
It will freeze, ask me how I know :/

Eldorado2k
12-22-2015, 01:25 AM
How do you know?

Setec Astronomy
12-22-2015, 05:32 AM
I actually do have to worry about freezing, I live on the eastern side of the cascades and it's pretty much in the 20s at night 6-8 months out of the year. (high desert climate). That being said, I was just wanting to fill it up before a road trip tomorrow didn't want to run to the store and grab the real stuff. I think I might go ahead with a diluted D114 instead after thinking it over though. Maybe fill it up with the real stuff once I get back.

Actually, after looking at the MSDS for D120, it's got 10-30% IPA, and 10-30% Butyl Glycol, so using it straight might make a great windshield washer fluid (although a rather expensive one, but not out of the ballpark of say, the 1Z product, and maybe diluted 1:1 it might be competitive with that). I'm not sure how it would do at 10:1, but the Butyl Glycol has quite a low freezing point, so even diluted it might make a decent washer fluid.