PDA

View Full Version : Can polishing be done by hand?

Pages : [1] 2

Jrdriver
12-20-2015, 11:00 PM
I have a black truck I wanna do a full detail on its only 2 years old and the paint feels pretty smooth but I'm still gonna start with a fine clay bar and of course follow with polish I do not have a machine for this I will be doing it by hand can this be done and still achieve good results and what polishes would work best by hand?

Rsurfer
12-20-2015, 11:08 PM
I have a black truck I wanna do a full detail on its only 2 years old and the paint feels pretty smooth but I'm still gonna start with a fine clay bar and of course follow with polish I do not have a machine for this I will be doing it by hand can this be done and still achieve good results and what polishes would work best by hand?

Sure you can, just like you can cut down a tree with a hand saw, but a chain saw will make it easier.

Jrdriver
12-20-2015, 11:16 PM
Ok I was just making sure I know black is an easy color to screw up if you aren't careful but from what I understand GM uses a harder finish and I don't have many scratches or swirls so do you have any recommendations on a polish?

Rsurfer
12-20-2015, 11:25 PM
You are correct about GM having a harder clear. Which has it's draw back being it's harder to correct. I have never nor will I ever attempt to correct black paint by hand. It's hard enough to correct it by machine less by hand.
If you insist to try it by hand, I would recommend Meguiars Ultimate compound and Ultimate Polish to finish down. Look on AutoGeeks store for a hand held applicator..one for cutting and one for finishing. Good luck.

Jrdriver
12-20-2015, 11:31 PM
Ok will do like I said the paint is not in bad shape by any means I just have a few spots of haze left from where the dealer buffer some stuff and I would really like to get rid of that more then anything

Mizzoutiger
12-21-2015, 12:03 AM
As time is money, it'll be a lot cheaper, faster and better polishing with machine, especially on black! Hand polishing your entire truck's black paint will likely induce more swirls, scratches and headaches (especially if you're not familiar with process and/or use inferior products...polish, applicators, towels) that will make you wish you never started down that road. With all the sales going on, now's the time to buy the good stuff and properly protect your investment.

builthatch
12-21-2015, 12:07 AM
https://i.imgflip.com/w3vq9.jpg

Mizzoutiger
12-21-2015, 12:09 AM
https://i.imgflip.com/w3vq9.jpg
:applause:

Jrdriver
12-21-2015, 12:13 AM
Yea it seems that might be the best thing I haven't exactly got a straight answer till this thread so now I know it's probably not the best idea

AGOatemywallet
12-21-2015, 12:40 AM
Purchase the suggested products

Tape off a 12" x 12" Test Spot

Go at it by hand and time yourself

If you are happy with the results and the time it took... Hand polish the rest

No way I would ever attempt it; knowing what I know

Swift
12-21-2015, 03:40 AM
Short answer is yes, you can. But its going to massive task. Best way to go is to do one panel a day, otherwise you will develop pain in your arms. All in all, results will depend upon how much time you can devote.

Here are few links that might help you.

CleanYourCar.co.uk • View topic - The Gentle Art of Hand Polishing (http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6187)
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/21971-hand-buffing-polishing-technique.html
Man versus Machine (http://www.autopia.org/forums/the-detail-institute-presented-by-autopia-carcare-com/27419-versus-machine.html)

PS: If you plan to do one panel a day, after correction and polishing, do seal it with a wax or a sealant.

theory816
12-21-2015, 06:22 AM
Hand polishing I would recommend for NEW NEW cars. Even then, it is still hard work and will kill your arm. I tried to polish out an eight year old car with some turtle polish once and could not remove any scratches within a 4 inch work area and my arm was dead from applying pressure.

Calendyr
12-21-2015, 07:34 AM
Well it would be like trying to remove the snow from your driveway using a tea spoon... but yes... you can do it ;)

MarkD51
12-21-2015, 08:23 AM
As has been suggested, do a panel at a time, apply, remove, and then go to the next. A good clay and hand polish will surely clarify the paint, your truck will look cleaner, glossier.

I recommend using MF Hand Applicators, you'll get a little bit more cut with them versus foam Applicators. Wally World and the large auto parts stores usually have packs of these. Best to use 1 per large panel, use, then place on the side, and pick up another fresh one, and keep going.

Same with MF Towels, have a number of them on hand.

A superb, easily gotten fine finishing polish, and again, usually found at Wally World, and the Auto Parts Stores will be Meguiars Mirror Glaze #205 Ultra Fine Finishing Polish in the Beige qt Bottles. Will set you back about $23-$25 a qt.

This Polish can be used by Hand, DA, or Rotary Machine.

You will not be able to screw up with this polish by hand, easy to work with, and if temps are good, easy to take off also.

Try duplicating a random action when rubbing on application, every which way, back and forth one way and another, circular, etc. By doing this, it will level and smooth the paint better, and have a better ability to removing hazing, clouding, marring, and fine scratches-sleeks.

MarkD51
12-21-2015, 08:36 AM

As for "smooth", you might be very surprised how "not so smooth" your paint actually is, when placing your hand inside a thin plastic sandwich bag, and then feeling the paint on every panel and even your Glass.

It's usually an "OMG Moment"!

Let the Plastic Baggie be your guide, and aid when Claying.

And as RSurfer says, you're actually cleaning-claying-polishing your top Clear Coat on the Paint, not the Black Base Coat.

As has been mentioned, polish, then seal-wax after.

It could take you 2-3 days or sessions to do the entire truck. Better to take your time, not rush, you'll then get the best results that can be achieved by hand.