PDA

View Full Version : Scratches

Ricorocks
12-20-2015, 10:25 PM
After polishing with M205 & SF4000, I found a spec. (not where it should be), lightly rubbed, which resulted in a scratch like line, vigorous, rubbing removed:

1. Is this common?

2. Why or what's going on?

3. After polish, is the surface more delicate.

The spec(s) I found, then rubbed, forming scratch like (removable) lines, were from the polishing stage.

Hmm, Fenders on DA's?

dcjredline
12-20-2015, 11:44 PM
Not sure I understand your descriptions. Can you possibly post pics?

wing commander
12-21-2015, 02:20 AM
Sounds like the pad had not been brushed between adding more polish for the next section pass. This had happened to Me before I learned to clean the pad on the fly from Mike on YouTube. The old polish balls up and comes off the pad like bread dough. Then you rub the spec with your removal micro fiber and then it smears and finally disappears after more buffing with your micro fiber.

Mike Phillips
12-21-2015, 07:00 PM
After polishing with M205 & SF4000, I found a spec. (not where it should be), lightly rubbed, which resulted in a scratch like line, vigorous, rubbing removed:

3. After polish, is the surface more delicate?

It's not so much the paint has changed to become more delicate.

It's more that once you perfect the paint now ANY defects stands out like a Sore Thumb.

That's why a perfect show car finish can be a nitemare to maintain.

Heck, I've been doing this detailing thing all my life now and look what I drive? An old Chevy Truck. And "yes" I keep the paint polished and waxed but it's a daily driver, not a show car so I don't aim for perfection with my truck. In fact, most of the time I use a one-step cleaner/wax on it.

:)

Ricorocks
12-21-2015, 07:55 PM
Perhaps after claying & polish, the paint is more vulnerable? Here in central TX sinus & pollen, capital. I've seen pollen wind strewn on the roof, leaving scratch like lines, it was just washed then driven.