PDA

View Full Version : LC backing plate question

Pages : [1] 2

AZpolisher15
12-20-2015, 04:28 PM
I noticed on the store's website that the two smaller Lake Country backing plates just say "dual action flexible backing plate", but the larger plates say "dual action flexible HOOK AND LOOP backing plate". So, are the smaller plates non-hook and loop?

Also, the 3" says its for griots and the 3.5" says its for Porter Cable. Are they not both compatible for either machine?

I'm putting together a list of supplies (I'm a first time-er to machines) and those descriptions caught me off guard, as I thought all the plates were hook and loop, as well as compatible with both PC and GG.

Also, the 3.5" says its a smaller version of the larger backing plates. Is the 3" something different?

Or are all of the plates essentially the same except for size?

Setec Astronomy
12-20-2015, 04:35 PM
They are all hook and loop (here). There are some smooth backing plates for self-adhesive sandpaper discs, but I have never seen them here (yet).

Yes, the thread size is the same on all these machines, but the 3" plate (which is probably 2-3/4") is for the Griot's because you wouldn't want to go to a 4" pad on that machine (because it doesn't have the power) and by the same token the 3.5" plate is for using 4" pads on the PC because if you use 3" pads on a PC most people find it "tippy".

Kamakaz1961
12-20-2015, 04:45 PM
Due to patent rights ALL manufacturers of backing plates cannot say a velcro backing plate which they really are. I believe there is a patent right to it....just like Kleenex, Q-Tips, and Heinz Ketchup.

Bob FUNX650, please chime in to see if I am correct!! Ask Bob!! He knows everything!!...LOL But all kidding aside, I think that is right and shortly here Bob will confirm!!

Setec Astronomy
12-20-2015, 04:53 PM
Due to patent rights ALL manufacturers of backing plates cannot say a velcro backing plate which they really are. I believe there is a patent right to it....just like Kleenex, Q-Tips, and Heinz Ketchup.

The OP said nothing about Velcro, this isn't a VelcroŽ vs. Hook & Loop issue, it's just he's unclear whether the plates that don't mention it actually have hook & loop.

Also, it's not a patent issue, the patent expired long ago, it's a trademark issue. VelcroŽ is a trademarked name.

AZpolisher15
12-20-2015, 09:47 PM
Thanks, guys! I'm trying to get a package put together by 11pm! I'm a newbie to machine polishing so kind of in a mad rush to get everything I need on the 20% off sale.

PC or GG6- which one? Hmmm... Prob PC cause it's cheaper.
5" and 3.5" LC backing plates- good options for me?

Pads- I could use help here!
Lake Country Flat
2 orange (future RIDS as the occur- Megs ultimate compound)
3 white (initial light correction- ultimate polish)
1 black (maintenance ultimate liquid applications)
Sound good?

Rubber gaskets

I've done my homework. Ive been reading posts on here for 3 hours almost every night for the last three months. I plan to do one very light initial correction and then maintenance applications of wax/sealer on my DD.

Help me put my package together! Two hours to go!

AZpolisher15
12-20-2015, 09:51 PM
Also not sure about 4" pads... Any thoughts?

dlc95
12-20-2015, 11:19 PM
Thanks, guys! I'm trying to get a package put together by 11pm! I'm a newbie to machine polishing so kind of in a mad rush to get everything I need on the 20% off sale.

PC or GG6- which one? Hmmm... Prob PC cause it's cheaper.
5" and 3.5" LC backing plates- good options for me?

Pads- I could use help here!
Lake Country Flat
2 orange (future RIDS as the occur- Megs ultimate compound)
3 white (initial light correction- ultimate polish)
1 black (maintenance ultimate liquid applications)
Sound good?

Rubber gaskets

I've done my homework. Ive been reading posts on here for 3 hours almost every night for the last three months. I plan to do one very light initial correction and then maintenance applications of wax/sealer on my DD.

Help me put my package together! Two hours to go!

Looks good to me.

Except I use different pads. Those will work though.

AZpolisher15
12-21-2015, 12:32 AM
Looks good to me.

Except I use different pads. Those will work though.

What pads/polishes do you use?

Whew- I got my order in!
Looking forward to joining the rest of you in what seems to be my new hobby.

dlc95
12-21-2015, 01:43 AM

Whew- I got my order in!

I have, and use Menzerna FG400, PF2500, and SF4000. Meguiar's M100, M86, M205, M02, M09, Ultimate Compound, Ultimate Polish.

Most of the time I just use Ultimate Compound and Polish

The pads I use are made by buff and shine. I use the green for cutting, blue for polishing, black for finishing (light polish, cleaner wax, or sealants/waxes), and red for dedicated sealants or waxes.

The green pad is listed as a light polishing pad, but other vendors have marketed it as a "light cutting/heavy polishing" pad, and another vendor paired the foam with their "severe swirl remover" - the most agressive product in their line up. When I pair the green foam with something like Ultimate Compound on the PC, I'm able to get better cut than an orange or yellow using my technique. It's pretty specific, so I don't usually recommend it. I tend to steer people in the proven, standard direction first.

Here is a pic of a severely damaged black 2010 ford fusion before, and after treatment with Ultimate Compound, Green Buff and Shine, on a PC after one buffing cycle.

wing commander
12-21-2015, 01:47 AM
You put in a very nice first selection. I cheated on my first order (orders) and called and asked for help with my starting supplies. The first few orders were before I found the forum. After I found the forum I started to place orders online and have been having a great time.

dlc95
12-21-2015, 01:50 AM

Whew- I got my order in!

Oh, I also like the Pink, Green, Grey and Blue Lake Country CCS pads.
I use the Pink to cut, Green for polishing, and grey for cleaner wax/sealant/pure wax.

Sometimes I'll use the Blue CCS for polishing too. It works very well with Ultimate Polish for bringing up the gloss.

I love the feel of those CCS pads.

AZpolisher15
12-21-2015, 02:00 AM
I have, and use Menzerna FG400, PF2500, and SF4000. Meguiar's M100, M86, M205, M02, M09, Ultimate Compound, Ultimate Polish.

Most of the time I just use Ultimate Compound and Polish

The pads I use are made by buff and shine. I use the green for cutting, blue for polishing, black for finishing (light polish, cleaner wax, or sealants/waxes), and red for dedicated sealants or waxes.

The green pad is listed as a light polishing pad, but other vendors have marketed it as a "light cutting/heavy polishing" pad, and another vendor paired the foam with their "severe swirl remover" - the most agressive product in their line up. When I pair the green foam with something like Ultimate Compound on the PC, I'm able to get better cut than an orange or yellow using my technique. It's pretty specific, so I don't usually recommend it. I tend to steer people in the proven, standard direction first.

Here is a pic of a severely damaged black 2010 ford fusion before, and after treatment with Ultimate Compound, Green Buff and Shine, on a PC after one buffing cycle.
Hey thanks for all the info and taking the time to post. It can be difficult sorting through all the info for a first-timer. Especially when I've not even had a tool or pad in my hands before. Anxious to get started. I've had the most difficulty choosing pads, and hope the ones I selected will at least get used at some point. I think I really just need to get two different pads on the paint and get a feel for what they accomplish relative to each other. Then a lot of what I read will take on more meaning than it has thus far.
For what it's worth, I tried to lean toward the least abrasive direction. Keep myself out of trouble. And I've decided my dads 2014 black Nissan may not be the best choice for my first time!

AZpolisher15
12-21-2015, 02:28 AM
You put in a very nice first selection. I cheated on my first order (orders) and called and asked for help with my starting supplies. The first few orders were before I found the forum. After I found the forum I started to place orders online and have been having a great time.

What pads have you chosen?

dlc95
12-21-2015, 08:35 AM
Hey thanks for all the info and taking the time to post. It can be difficult sorting through all the info for a first-timer. Especially when I've not even had a tool or pad in my hands before. Anxious to get started. I've had the most difficulty choosing pads, and hope the ones I selected will at least get used at some point. I think I really just need to get two different pads on the paint and get a feel for what they accomplish relative to each other. Then a lot of what I read will take on more meaning than it has thus far.
For what it's worth, I tried to lean toward the least abrasive direction. Keep myself out of trouble. And I've decided my dads 2014 black Nissan may not be the best choice for my first time!

You have the industry standard with pads, and they will cover a wide variety of situations. Even though your liquids are least abrasive, keep in mind that Michael Stoops of Meguiars did most of his classes with Ultimate Compound, on a wide variety of paints, and it did the job. I've even burned paint with the green pad / UC combo.

That is why I chose to go forward with the Ultimate line. Very user friendly, easily accessible, and they work. Take a look at the gallery in my profile. I took the Ultimate Twins way out of their comfort zone. There's a write up, and some pics of my red car. I think the title is Ultimate Compound vs 1000 grit.

You did good though. You will get a lot of work done with your selection.

AZpolisher15
12-21-2015, 08:32 PM
You have the industry standard with pads, and they will cover a wide variety of situations. Even though your liquids are least abrasive, keep in mind that Michael Stoops of Meguiars did most of his classes with Ultimate Compound, on a wide variety of paints, and it did the job. I've even burned paint with the green pad / UC combo.

That is why I chose to go forward with the Ultimate line. Very user friendly, easily accessible, and they work. Take a look at the gallery in my profile. I took the Ultimate Twins way out of their comfort zone. There's a write up, and some pics of my red car. I think the title is Ultimate Compound vs 1000 grit.

You did good though. You will get a lot of work done with your selection.
Cool- I'll check out your gallery.

So, on my very first attempt with my GG6, am I ok going in with UP on a white pad? And ULW on black? Thanks kind of what I had in mind in making my pad selection. 2014 Toyota with a few extremely light scratches/swirls. It's not bad at all. There is some orange peel but I'm not really concerned with leveling on this first run.