PDA

View Full Version : Spotting on console plastic trim

cdf
12-19-2015, 07:50 PM
Hi everyone.

I am new here so please ignore the dust in the following picture since I am just now trying to get this car cleaned up. I have a problem and hope someone can help. On the center console (grey plastic trim), I have quite a few spots that won't come off. I am not sure exactly what these spots are but if I had to guess, I suspect it would be Pug spray. Yes, pug spray, not bug spray- long story. The car is garage kept and driven only occasionally so I never really noticed these spots until today when I had the top down when starting the interior cleanup. Now that I've seen these spots, I can't unsee them. It's AG's fault. I never paid much attention until visiting this site for the first time a few months back. Now I am starting to notice things on my car I am not very happy about. Thanks everyone. :D

Anyway, I attempted to remove the spots without any luck. I first tried warm water, then warm water and Dawn, and finally Cockpit Pro, none of which made any difference. Since I am new to the detailing thing, I don't want to do anything stupid. If I've learned anything from this website, it would be to always start with the least aggressive method. This may be one of those things that has been there so long that it's there to stay but I would really like to try and remove them.
Any recommendations on what to try next or should I just leave it alone since I might make things worse than they already are?

Sorry about the picture quality but it started getting dark about the time I decided to take a photo. There are dozens of spots and all are more noticeable than the picture suggests.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/cdf294/IMG_0614.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/cdf294/media/IMG_0614.jpg.html)

PA DETAILER
12-19-2015, 08:08 PM
Yea, tough call. I would try some of this. If not they mat be there to stay.

1Z Einszett Plastic Vinyl Deep Cleaner Plastik Reiniger (http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einzett-plastic-cleaner.html)

builthatch
12-19-2015, 08:14 PM
if it were me, i'd try Power Clean @ 10:1 and a short nap parts store MF. if that didn't do it, i'd go 3:1 or full strength, wipe it on, let it dwell just a bit w/o drying and give it a little elbow grease with the towel.

cdf
12-19-2015, 08:34 PM
Thank you both for the suggestions.

I will go ahead and pick up some Einszett since I am positive the DD could use it anyway.
If the Einszett Plastic Deep Cleaner doesn't work for me, I will try to find a source for the Power Clean.
Since I am about 20 minutes away from Einszett North America, I can easily pick up some of that on Monday.

Eldorado2k
12-19-2015, 08:39 PM
Pug spray😂 What the heck is pug spray? I barely even see any of those dogs round here...

cdf
12-19-2015, 09:07 PM
Pug spray😂 What the heck is pug spray? I barely even see any of those dogs round here...

LOL. Usually the dog doesn't ride in this car but the DD was dead in the water the day we had to take her to the vet. Due to allergies, which are now under control, our pug sneezed all the way to and from the vets office. I thought I had cleaned up all the remnants from that trip but clearly, I now realize that I didn't. At least the dash and radio/ac panel didn't get covered in pug phlegm.

Oh well. Worst case, I replace the trim if it drives my nerves and I can't clean it up. After looking on the big auction site, it appears that this particular trim panel is prone to spotting since every used one I saw over 3-4 pages had spots and/or scratches.

Eldorado2k
12-19-2015, 09:18 PM
Alright, now that we know you're literally looking at pug spray it sounds like you're on the right path thanks to the advice you've already recieved. If it fails to work with the microfiber towel I would try a brand new soft toothbrush to scrub ever so lightly. Making sure to do a small test spot before scrubbing the whole console. Good luck! And say hello to your pug 4 me😊