PDA

View Full Version : 2014 BMW Detailing advice needed

zmmrdvd
12-19-2015, 05:13 PM
Hey guys so I just purchased a bunch of stuff and plan on detailing my Black Sapphire Metallic 2014 BMW 4 Series. The paint is in pretty good shape with the exception of a few micro swirls. Nothing major though. This is what I bought:

Porter Cable 7424xp
Menzerna IP2000
Menzerna FF3000
Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish
Blackfire BlackIce Wax
Lake Country CCS Orange, White, Black, Blue, Red pads.

My question is, what stage would the Blackfire gloss enhancing polish be applied (before or after FF3000)? Any recommendations on what pads I should use? Thanks!

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
12-20-2015, 02:55 AM
Hi, welcome to AutoGeekOnline!

When you first get started make sure you accomplish a test spot and check the results. This will determine what pads and polishes to combine.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/50162-how-do-test-spot.html

If you polish the vehicle with either of the Menzerna polishes the BlackFire Gloss Enhancing polish won't be needed. BF GEP is used in scenarios where the paint is in good condition and you want to freshen up the surface and remove a previous wax.

zmmrdvd
12-20-2015, 08:03 AM
Thanks for your reply. So you would recommend doing both menzernas instead of doing just one menzerna (don't know which one) and the GEP?

Paul A.
12-20-2015, 10:24 AM
If it were me, i would want to see exactly what each one looks like on my paint. There is no cut with the Blackfire GEP so don't bother trying that with your orange pad however i would be curious what combo will reduce or even eliminate the few swirls or scratches you describe. My guess would be the IP/orange pad however don't just assume thats the best approach. I also have a BMW in Black Saphirre Metallic and it is a medium hard clear to correct. I need some cut for mine BUT EVERY CAR IS UNIQUE! I like finding what works best for the exact paint i'm working with.

Set up about 5 or 6 test areas. I like taping off sections and labelling each one with a Sharpie, especially if i have several. IP 2000 with an orange pad, then another one with a white pad, SF 3000 with white and black pads and then finally BFGEP with a black pad. Then make sure all are wiped clean and with really good lighting (direct sun reflection i find best) look at each and every area worked and determine which one looks the best TO YOU. When i was correcting with my Porter Cable there was no speed less than 6 too with slow hand movement and overlapping passes.

If you have the time and really want to see if you can finesse anything more, try the SF 3000 with either a white or black pad over your IP 2000 spot (orange pad spot) and see if you can see any improvement. I doubt i would be able to discern any difference or even any improvement thus Mike's comment above however i have found on some paints the affects of an orange pad can be cleaned up a bit. IP finishes so well all by itself. And then, for even more research, you might want to try the BFGEP/black pad over the 3000 spots...again here i most likely wouldn't see any significant improvement but i might still want to know. I use BFGEP on my car but only because i keep it fairly free of scratches/ swirls and brighten it up before i apply my BF sealant. I don't need a correction effort...just a clean, brightened condition as Mike alluded to. From those first 5-6 test areas i betcha i could find 1 i am happy with. I would do the rest of the car with that approach and then LSP.

That's a lot of test areas and time however i have done this very practice on my car to understand what combos of pad and product gives ME the best results in the fewest steps. That's a beautiful new car you have and congratulations! I am sure you would like to find what works best to shine it up and then go driving! Finding what works best to get it to a condition you are happy with and in the fewest steps may take some time...ONCE. Then you'll know when you accumulate some slight scratches and swirls over time with it. Notice i said "when" and not "if"...from a fellow Black Saphirre owner, you will. Part of the fun!!!

zmmrdvd
12-20-2015, 10:34 AM
I appreciate the help. I think this is what I'm going to try:

FF3000 with white pad
BFGEP with black pad

And then finish it all off with a hand wax of BF BlackIce.

I don't think I'll need the IP2000, because my paint is in pretty good shape. If the white pad and FF3000 don't get the micro swirls out, then I'll probably give the IP2000 on a white pad a try.

Paul A.
12-20-2015, 10:43 AM
Bingo! Sounds like a great approach. Good luck and enjoy the shine on that gorgeous race car! :dblthumb2:

Don't forget to "crush"the pad with just enough pressure to keep it both spinning and oscillating. Then lighten up with the pressure for your final passes. In my experience, Menzerna has long work times and loves to be jewelled.

I do like "system" approaches and do believe the Blackfire LSP will like the GEP underneath it for compatability.

And if you have the time and means, i would LOVE to see that baby all finished.