PDA

View Full Version : Products for detailing black paint

Pages : [1] 2 3

Jrdriver
12-18-2015, 02:04 PM
Ok I have a black 2013 Silverado the truck paint wise is in pretty good shape but I just bought it and only had time to throw a couple coats of wax on before winter hit so I'm gearing up for spring to do a full detail and have some questions on products I wanna used based on what I've read
Clay bar: Mothers kit
Polish: Poorboys SSR1
Glaze: Poorboys black hole
Sealant: Detailers pro poli coat
Wax: Collinite 845
The paint isn't in bad shape some micro scratches here and there but can feel some roughness my concern is that the mothers clay bar may be too aggressive? Also is the SSR1 polish going to be enough to remove any marring that could occur? Are there room for improvement on these products I want deep shine and lasting protection

ct18
12-18-2015, 02:10 PM
I used black hole and colli on my 09 f150 that was black and it looked great. I traded it in and the salesman said there is no way that paint has a 100,000 on it. I use black hole on all dark colored cars i work on and it works great.

Jrdriver
12-18-2015, 02:18 PM
Ok well sounds like I'm on the right track then collinite is my go to wax can't beat the stuff for the price and the black hole sounds to me to be the most promising black glaze for the price

Paul A.
12-18-2015, 04:26 PM
SSR1 may not have enough cut to get it perfect but as long as you have it give it a shot. Every Chev truck i've done has been on the hard side but by all means give it a go with the PB SSR1. A least maybe do a test spot and go from there.

I've no experience with Black Hole so i can't offer any opinion on it but have read where a LOT of folks like it. I have been through a few bottles of SSR1 back in the day. Not a bad finish polish and if like you say the paint isn't that bad knock one outta the park!

Good luck and let us know.

Jrdriver
12-18-2015, 04:32 PM
I'm sorry I should have clarified I haven't actually put an order in on these products I wanted some input first on if they would do the job so if you recommend a better polish please by all means go ahead I'm trying to accomplish the best finish possible and thanks for the feed back

Paul A.
12-18-2015, 04:36 PM
Well, it entirely depends on an assessment of your paint. More pictures would help immensely if you can. The picture you already posted looks great but doesn't really show any marring, scratches or things you want to cut down. Get some good full sun shots reflected if you can.

It's also somewhat important to know if you will be machining (i assume so) and with what machine.

Jrdriver
12-18-2015, 04:49 PM
Ok there should be one or 2 there now it's hard to tell its kinda clean in the pictures the worst part is the tailgate it looks like there's a film on it after its clean but I think the clay bar is gonna help as well as polish and the only other issue I have is some haze from the dealers detail guy before I got the truck he got a bit too aggressive with the buffer

tpr1634
12-18-2015, 05:15 PM
845 or FK1000P great choices as a lsp, I also use Poorboys natty black beta version and I was pleased.

hollerstiltner
12-18-2015, 05:30 PM
I'm sorry I should have clarified I haven't actually put an order in on these products I wanted some input first on if they would do the job so if you recommend a better polish please by all means go ahead I'm trying to accomplish the best finish possible and thanks for the feed back

Before we get too much deeper into the various polishes and whatnots, do you have a buffer/polisher? I apologize if you've already answered this and I missed it.

Jrdriver
12-18-2015, 05:32 PM
Yes I forgot to include that no I do not have a buffer or polisher I will be doing this by hand

RFrommann
12-18-2015, 08:41 PM
i have some ssr2 if you happen to wanna trade a few oz of your ssr1.

the only way to to tell if it'd be enough, is a test spot. be very careful while you clay, and inspect closely for any marring

MattPersman
12-19-2015, 09:58 AM
By hand I would clay then use prima amigo at that point use your beauty wax of choice (meaning non cleaner wax)

hollerstiltner
12-19-2015, 12:06 PM
By hand I would clay then use prima amigo at that point use your beauty wax of choice (meaning non cleaner wax)

If doing it all by hand, I would take this advice.

Polishing a truck by hand is hard, time consuming work. Here's one of mike's many articles on the subject.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/faq/20257-man-versus-machine.html

WAXOFF
12-19-2015, 01:29 PM
I use Megs 105/205 and then follow with 3M Perfect-It 3000 Ultrafine Machine Polish, 3M Ultrafina, 3M perfect it ultra fine polish, 3M Machine Polish (http://www.autogeek.net/3m-ultrafine-polish-16oz.html) and top with 845.

hollerstiltner
12-19-2015, 03:05 PM
I use Megs 105/205 and then follow with 3M Perfect-It 3000 Ultrafine Machine Polish, 3M Ultrafina, 3M perfect it ultra fine polish, 3M Machine Polish (http://www.autogeek.net/3m-ultrafine-polish-16oz.html) and top with 845.

Are you using ultrafina by DA or rotary?