PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars DA Power system

Pages : [1] 2 3

sshazam
12-17-2015, 01:59 AM
Hello all,

I'm looking for a DA polisher to prepare my cars paint.
It will be a one off job and used maybe once or twice so don't want to spend a lot of money as a result.

I came across the Meguiars DA power system which gets good reviews. The car is a Kia Optima bright silver and swirls tend to get hidden.

Wondering if anyone can comment on if they've used this tool ?
For those that have used it, what speeds do you run your drill on ?

The Guz
12-17-2015, 02:48 AM
I would put that money towards an actual DA.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
12-17-2015, 03:12 AM
I would put that money towards an actual DA.

:iagree:

You will be much better of with an actual paint polishing machine over a drill.

sshazam
12-17-2015, 04:06 AM
:iagree:

You will be much better of with an actual paint polishing machine over a drill.

I would love to but I'm really struggling to justify it. I live in Australia so for me to get a DA with all the pads I'm looking at $170 more over the meguiars.

roguerobot
12-17-2015, 08:58 AM
If it helps, you can find the Porter Cable "DA" in nearly any home improvement shop in the world, under a different name/use. The Porter Cable DA is identical to the Porter Cable 'Right Angle Variable Speed Random Sander' in every way, except the sander includes a disc for sanding pads, rather the the foam pad in the DA. You are likely going to never use the included foam pad anyway.

This might be cheaper for you to buy locally. There are also many chinese DAs as well that are likely available that will outperform a drill any day.

sshazam
12-17-2015, 09:00 AM
If it helps, you can find the Porter Cable "DA" in nearly any home improvement shop in the world, under a different name/use. The Porter Cable DA is identical to the Porter Cable 'Right Angle Variable Speed Random Sander' in every way, except the sander includes a disc for sanding pads, rather the the foam pad in the DA. You are likely going to never use the included foam pad anyway.

This might be cheaper for you to buy locally. There are also many chinese DAs as well that are likely available that will outperform a drill any day.

I can buy a cheap DA for $100 but then i'd need to buy pads, compound etc. All up that would set me back nearly another $100. If anyone knows of a cheap Pad kit which includes compound that would be great. I already own Prima Amigo so don't need a polish.

choijw2
12-17-2015, 10:32 AM
I would say buy PC7424xp and some polishing pads (6 or more) and skip compounding.

Meguiars DA power system works but do you really want to spend that much extra time to save some money? actually, you will need more pads with DA power system, so it might not be much saving either.

+ with Meguiars DA power system, You will probably end up spending whole day polishing your car

AGOatemywallet
12-17-2015, 11:24 AM
If you are only maintaining your own vehicle, you could get by with only 4 pads total. Two for compound and two for polishing.

This less expensive approach will require that you wash/rinse outreach pad after you use it and allow it to dry completely before using it again. You should use each pad for a portion of the car. One pad for the hood, another pad for the fender and two doors, etceteras

I typically use about 6-8oz of compound and 2oz of polish on a typical heavy paint correction, so you could get by with the smaller sizes of Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish

I will suggest that once you machine polish one car and see the dramatic results that are possible...you will want to polish other cars

vobro
12-17-2015, 12:43 PM
My neighbor was in the exact position you are and bought the Megs Da System. Honestly it's good for bumpers or other tight areas but there's no way I would two step a whole car with it. When connected to a drill it's very top heavy and very hard to keep the pad flat,it'll wear you out because it's cumbersome and with the 4" pads I can't imagine how long it'll take.
Look at it this way if you buy it and don't like it you'll end up buying a regular da anyway, so how much cheaper is it in the end.

vobro
12-17-2015, 12:50 PM
Also add in the cost for extra batteries for your drill as it'll drain them quickly.

Jaretr1
12-17-2015, 01:58 PM
Skip that megs system. For all the reasons listed above and more. The PC is a readily available tool. And While I HATE the thought of cheap chinese made products like the ones sold here in the US at Harbor Frieght, I would get one of those before I get the megs system. Its a small investment to get the right tool to do the job, but you will be able to do the job well, and find out you will probably use the tool more in the future than you can currently imagine.

sshazam
12-17-2015, 04:54 PM
I would say buy PC7424xp and some polishing pads (6 or more) and skip compounding.
Can you recommend a cheap kit which has some polishing and compound pads? Why do you recommend skipping the compound?

Meguiars DA power system works but do you really want to spend that much extra time to save some money? actually, you will need more pads with DA power system, so it might not be much saving either.

+ with Meguiars DA power system, You will probably end up spending whole day polishing your car
I'm happy to spend a day doing it since i'm used to doing it by hand. The only concern was the cost. It's $120 for the DA system and $200+ in Australia for a complete DA package so a fairly big saving. If I can get 95% of the results for half the price i'm happy. Since it will only be used once or twice and then never used again.

If you are only maintaining your own vehicle, you could get by with only 4 pads total. Two for compound and two for polishing.

This less expensive approach will require that you wash/rinse outreach pad after you use it and allow it to dry completely before using it again. You should use each pad for a portion of the car. One pad for the hood, another pad for the fender and two doors, etceteras

I typically use about 6-8oz of compound and 2oz of polish on a typical heavy paint correction, so you could get by with the smaller sizes of Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Polish

I will suggest that once you machine polish one car and see the dramatic results that are possible...you will want to polish other cars
I'm happy to wash the pads, it will only be used once or twice then never used as the cars will get coated. Might use it occasionally to polish up some glass but thats about it.
Can you recommend a kit of cheap pads and maybe some cheap compound ? I have Prima Amigo so already have some polish.

My neighbor was in the exact position you are and bought the Megs Da System. Honestly it's good for bumpers or other tight areas but there's no way I would two step a whole car with it. When connected to a drill it's very top heavy and very hard to keep the pad flat,it'll wear you out because it's cumbersome and with the 4" pads I can't imagine how long it'll take.
Look at it this way if you buy it and don't like it you'll end up buying a regular da anyway, so how much cheaper is it in the end.

Yes I imagine the drill would be hard to use on the sides of the door. Can you recommend a cheap kit of just pads and compound ? I can buy the DA machine here and the pads online.

Skip that megs system. For all the reasons listed above and more. The PC is a readily available tool. And While I HATE the thought of cheap chinese made products like the ones sold here in the US at Harbor Frieght, I would get one of those before I get the megs system. Its a small investment to get the right tool to do the job, but you will be able to do the job well, and find out you will probably use the tool more in the future than you can currently imagine.
Can you recommend which pads and compound things I should buy if I bought a DA?

Thank you all for your help, I really do appreciate it !

AGOatemywallet
12-17-2015, 05:00 PM
I would recommend against buying "Cheap" pads or polishes. They make it more difficult to get good results & don't last

The Lake Country CCS pads are good quality and will last a long time

Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Ultimate polish are inexpensive, available in small sizes and can probably be purchased locally in Australia

emmjay
12-17-2015, 05:12 PM
This is the "polisher" I started with when I first got into detailing. After doing about half my roof with my corded drill, my arm was numb and the palm of my hands were almost swollen. That's when I said to hell with it and tossed the DA power system into the back of my storage closet and went out and purchased a flex 3401....the rest is history.

DA power system is utter shite and a waste of money. Get a proper polisher such as the PC if you are just starting out.

I went with the flex as I knew I would want a better polisher down the line, so picked up the best (IMO) from the get go. :D

I live in Dubai where almost everything is twice the cost as compared to the states, so I completely understand where you are coming from. I too was looking at cost so got the DA power system + lack of research.

As a previous user of that completely un user friendly system, I highly advise against it.

Trust the folks on this forum as they helped me immensely when I started out.

Once you get into this, the $100 saved here and there won't matter. I get most of my supplies shipped from Autogeek all the way to Dubai, and I DO NOT regret it one bit. I get quality stuff from AGO, which is not available here and thats what matters. Once you use them and see the results that you get, you completely forget about how much you paid.

sshazam
12-17-2015, 06:27 PM
I would recommend against buying "Cheap" pads or polishes. They make it more difficult to get good results & don't last

The Lake Country CCS pads are good quality and will last a long time

Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and Ultimate polish are inexpensive, available in small sizes and can probably be purchased locally in Australia

Sorry I meant good quality but cheap. Happy to spend $40 - 60 on a good set but the cheapest possible good set would be great.

This is the "polisher" I started with when I first got into detailing. After doing about half my roof with my corded drill, my arm was numb and the palm of my hands were almost swollen. That's when I said to hell with it and tossed the DA power system into the back of my storage closet and went out and purchased a flex 3401....the rest is history.

DA power system is utter shite and a waste of money. Get a proper polisher such as the PC if you are just starting out.

I went with the flex as I knew I would want a better polisher down the line, so picked up the best (IMO) from the get go. :D

I live in Dubai where almost everything is twice the cost as compared to the states, so I completely understand where you are coming from. I too was looking at cost so got the DA power system + lack of research.

As a previous user of that completely un user friendly system, I highly advise against it.

Trust the folks on this forum as they helped me immensely when I started out.

Once you get into this, the $100 saved here and there won't matter. I get most of my supplies shipped from Autogeek all the way to Dubai, and I DO NOT regret it one bit. I get quality stuff from AGO, which is not available here and thats what matters. Once you use them and see the results that you get, you completely forget about how much you paid.

Thank you for the advice !
Looks like the DA system is only good for spot work.

I would have the buy the DA here due to the 240Volt requirement and shipping being incredibly expensive for a heavy object.
But I just want advice on a good quality pad kit which isn't super expensive.

Might sound silly but do you always have to compound? I just have one or two really small scratches which will compound out but i'm worried if I compound on the other parts it could be too aggressive.

Gah damn you auto geek you always seem to get me to spend more :laughing::laughing: