PDA

View Full Version : Detailing in cold weather

pilotpip
12-16-2015, 12:50 AM
I have a couple days off later this week and would like to wash/clay/wax my truck to add a little protection before the weather gets crappy here in St. Louis. Looks like we will have some nice days later this week if you can ignore the temps in the low 40s.

I'll be using griot's paint sealant (by hand), and mother's clay. Aside from really cold water is there anything I should worry about? The truck is new to me but I haven't done anything to my wife's car this year because our daughter was born last spring and I look at this prep work as an ounce of prevention against all the salt and chemicals the roads will see in the next 4 months. Will I be looking at a longer curing time? More difficult removal? Should I hold out for a warmer day or see if I can use a family member's garage?

Thanks for the insight!

kecko
12-16-2015, 01:31 AM
I just applied Griot's one step sealant to my wife's car today. I am in Ohio and low 40's here to. I applied Iron X and ran it through the automatic. I then drove home and did a quick wash then followed using Nanoskin mitt to further decontaminate.

In regards to the Griot's it went on very easy parked in the garage which is not heated but somewhat warmer than outside. It completely hazed in about 10-15 minutes but I allowed it to stay on car for as long as I could which was about 2 hours. It wiped off very easy and looked great. It applied no different than doing it on a 80 degree day with the exception that it took a few more minutes to haze.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

pilotpip
12-16-2015, 11:38 AM
Good to know. Thanks!