PDA

View Full Version : modifying D120

Pages : [1] 2

builthatch
12-13-2015, 06:58 PM
i have used D120 for a long time. i make it with distilled water, 10:1 as prescribed by the manufacturer. primary uses are INTERIOR glass and we also use it around the house for light cleaning - mirrors, counters, windows, stove, etc. it's so ridiculously cheap, why not.

i generally don't use it on exterior glass; for that i prefer my go to instant detailer: 50% Opti-Clean, 50% OID. i like that the most since i can clean the trim at the same time (particularly on the windscreen) and have less worry about instilling fine scratches, esp. on windows that have piano black trim. it's especially helpful with bugs and stuff.

ANYWAY, i've thought about D120 and i love everything about it except one thing - it doesn't allow the towel to glide on uncoated glass when wiping dry and that can be a pain on certain interior windows. the towel can sort of stick on interior glass if the glass is "squeaky" clean. i love my Glass Master Pro tool, that thing makes life SO much easier on many different types of front/rear glass, but even with it, there is a certain degree of drag with D120 that i wish wasn't there. the towels i use are the Microfiber Madness Cloudbuster or, if that is too thick for certain areas, i'll use the old OPT glass towels. they are super thing and almost abrasive in texture (but aren't).

the solution i've settled on for improving D120 has been adding OID. that was a natural progression since OID is insanely slick and when diluted properly, can be very easy to manage re: streaking. i played with a few different concentrations and i've found ~1/3 of OID made with double the distilled water as prescribed (so, 6:1) and ~2/3 D120 @ 10:1 is the sweet spot. it's just enough OID to allow the towel to glide effortlessly as you buff, but not too much whereas you may end up with some light streaking.

i strongly urge you to try it if you have the materials available. i am a stickler for clean glass and this has been one of the greatest solutions to making life easier in that regard.

MDX Detailing
12-13-2015, 08:49 PM
OID? not familiar with acronym

Eldorado2k
12-13-2015, 08:51 PM
OID? not familiar with acronym

I was thinking the same thing, but I didn't want to ask a stupid question. Lol.

builthatch
12-13-2015, 08:53 PM
i'm sorry guys. Optimum Instant Detailer.

MDX Detailing
12-13-2015, 08:57 PM
Well I'm not afraid of it lol

MDX Detailing
12-13-2015, 08:58 PM
But sounds interesting. If give it a try if I had some OID

Eldorado2k
12-13-2015, 09:02 PM
But sounds interesting. If give it a try if I had some OID

I'd give it a try right now too if it turned out to be QID. I have a full bottle of it that rarely get used so it would've been perfect. Lol.

builthatch
12-13-2015, 09:07 PM
the reason i am using OID specifically is because it's a very light weight solution and SUPER DUPER SLICK, but doesn't have any sort of wax or protection built in, which i believe must be avoided on interior glass due to fogging, etc.

i have A LOT of OID because i used to use it as a drying aid but once i got into Optimum coatings and the blower to dry, and then after that, Dry Me Crazy, i blot now so a drying aid is not practical. then i started to add it to my Opti-Clean to add some slickness to waterless washing. now this. it's neat stuff. i don't think it's a very popular product anymore but i may be wrong.

Eldorado2k
12-13-2015, 09:14 PM
Good idea.^
I wonder if Megs UQD would work the same way.

builthatch
12-13-2015, 09:41 PM
Good idea.^
I wonder if Megs UQD would work the same way.

one of the selling points of that product is that it has a little durability with its hydrophobic properties and it leaves some protection behind. i'd be apprehensive to use it on interior glass but if it's super slick, i guess it can't hurt to bleed it down a bit with distilled water, mix it with D120 and see how it behaves, esp. with humidity. if it acts funny, then some IPA should make the glass bare again.

Eldorado2k
12-13-2015, 09:47 PM
I agree with what you said about D120.
I'm sometimes a bit turned off about using D120 and will substitute it with D114@1:128 when I want my towel to glide along smoother. Plus I like how the D114 doesn't have an adverse affect on my glass towel.

builthatch
12-13-2015, 10:26 PM
I agree with what you said about D120.
I'm sometimes a bit turned off about using D120 and will substitute it with D114@1:128 when I want my towel to glide along smoother. Plus I like how the D114 doesn't have an adverse affect on my glass towel.

that makes sense. similarly, i have used Optimum No Rinse for this before but it's not nearly as slick as that tiny bit of OID. when i say OID is slick...it's CRAZY, esp for being essentially "nothing" in terms of protection or whatever. it's weird. maybe D114 is slicker than ONR.

i am new to D114. i bought a gallon recently and used it for a rinseless. i think it worked well for that. i will be able to have more input once i use it more. unfortunately, they misprinted the labels, apparently, so my first experience with it was that it was a bit soapy at the dilution you've mentioned, vs. the proper 256:1 rinseless ratio. and it liked to streak/spot if not IMMEDIATELY dried, esp. on a panel that isn't purely cold. but, like i said, i need to play with it some more.

Fast Eddie
12-13-2015, 10:48 PM
I've been mixing D120 with Unger Easy Glide glass cleaner to get that slick glide over glass and have had excellent results with that combo. I also had the same issues with D120 not gliding over the glass easily and though it was just me...go figure.

Eldorado2k
12-13-2015, 10:50 PM
i am new to D114. i bought a gallon recently and used it for a rinseless. i think it worked well for that. i will be able to have more input once i use it more. unfortunately, they misprinted the labels, apparently, so my first experience with it was that it was a bit soapy at the dilution you've mentioned, vs. the proper 256:1 rinseless ratio. and it liked to streak/spot if not IMMEDIATELY dried, esp. on a panel that isn't purely cold. but, like i said, i need to play with it some more.

I'm also switching down to the ratio of 1:256 for rinseless after having used it mostly @1:128 in the past. I started with 3 gallons in this bucket, after a few washes I'm about to add more towels and a couple of gallons @1:256 with distilled water.

builthatch
12-14-2015, 12:45 PM
I'm also switching down to the ratio of 1:256 for rinseless after having used it mostly @1:128 in the past. I started with 3 gallons in this bucket, after a few washes I'm about to add more towels and a couple of gallons @1:256 with distilled water.

it seems as if this product has the same sort of softening effect that ONR has, making it compatible with tap water. why do you prefer distilled water for rinseless in that case? then again, you are in California ; )