PDA

View Full Version : GG6 & LC thinpro pads, So this happened..?!?!

Pages : [1] 2 3

fatguy
12-13-2015, 04:04 PM
I received my GG6, LC 5.5" backing plate, HD speed, and LC thinpro pads a couple days ago and got to use it today! First time ever touching a polisher so I started with an orange pad and set the machine to 4.
I did about half of the truck and never thought to change the pad seemed like it was not thickened up with Polish or anything and then I decided to change pads and when I went to pull it off the middle was completely melted out of it? Is this my fault a faulty pad did I run the machine to long? Are you supposed to stop and let the machine rest ever so often? Didn't seem like it was getting hot or anything! And how much correction can I expect from a product like speed? My truck is shiny as ever as seen in the truck selfie and a lot of small scratches are gone but some still exist.

EzyBrzy
12-13-2015, 04:20 PM
Wow that's some carnage lol. You should be changing pads often. Clean and rotate the pads if you only have a few on hand.

fatguy
12-13-2015, 04:29 PM
I got 6 pads and 2 backing plates, Is there any house hold items I can use to clean the pads as well? I didn't purchase any pad cleaner products.

Mantilgh
12-13-2015, 04:44 PM
Yeah, that would be user error. I've done that to a few of mine learning. Now I rotate between two or three for larger areas like big hoods and brush them clean more often. Using to much product, or adding more and more polish and keeping the pad in play will cause it to hold more heat.

You can't expect too much correction from an AIO. They are designed to give some correction but they can't have too much cut or they will not finish out well which would defeat the purpose.

I'm not sure how hard speed is to remove from pads, but I usually just use hot water and dawn dish soap. Works for me Optimum Poli-Seal and Wolfgang Uber AIO, although Uber takes more work to remove. Also, the sooner you clean them, usually the easier it is for some AIOs.

FinishingTouchA
12-13-2015, 04:44 PM
I got 6 pads and 2 backing plates, Is there any house hold items I can use to clean the pads as well? I didn't purchase any pad cleaner products.

To clean HD Speed out of the pads you'll need to use some sort of degreaser. The POXY in it is pretty tough.

fatguy
12-13-2015, 05:00 PM
To clean HD Speed out of the pads you'll need to use some sort of degreaser. The POXY in it is pretty tough.

Could I just use like meg super degreaser and hot water in the sink?

FinishingTouchA
12-13-2015, 05:11 PM
Could I just use like meg super degreaser and hot water in the sink?

That would be perfect, make sure to wear gloves though.

DapperStyle
12-13-2015, 06:42 PM
Multiple pads. You used 1 pad for half of a Silverado, that's not good. If you are cleaning on the fly (look up the video tutorials) then you should be using at minimum 4 pads, Silverado is a big truck.

fatguy
12-13-2015, 07:03 PM
Yeah, that would be user error. I've done that to a few of mine learning. Now I rotate between two or three for larger areas like big hoods and brush them clean more often. Using to much product, or adding more and more polish and keeping the pad in play will cause it to hold more heat.

You can't expect too much correction from an AIO. They are designed to give some correction but they can't have too much cut or they will not finish out well which would defeat the purpose.

I'm not sure how hard speed is to remove from pads, but I usually just use hot water and dawn dish soap. Works for me Optimum Poli-Seal and Wolfgang Uber AIO, although Uber takes more work to remove. Also, the sooner you clean them, usually the easier it is for some AIOs.

I figured it was my fault thanks for the advice! I'll definitely be investing in a pad brush asap

fatguy
12-13-2015, 07:05 PM
Multiple pads. You used 1 pad for half of a Silverado, that's not good. If you are cleaning on the fly (look up the video tutorials) then you should be using at minimum 4 pads, Silverado is a big truck.

I actually ordered 6 pads to use on it with every intention of changing every section but it just seemed like the pad was still doing fine so I just kept on trucking, is there anyway to tell when the pad needs changed or do you just do it because you know you should ?

AGOatemywallet
12-13-2015, 07:10 PM
Auto Detailing Facts, auto detailing Tips, How to detailing Guides, how to polish, how to wax, DIY detailing, do it yourself guides (http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html)

VISITOR
12-13-2015, 09:01 PM
you need to switch pads out often and not run the polisher at the highest speed (6) for long periods of time as the GG6 has lots of torque/power and will generate heat to the backing plate/pad...

Eldorado2k
12-13-2015, 09:05 PM
you need to switch pads out often and not run the polisher at the highest speed (6) for long periods of time as the GG6 has lots of torque/power and will generate heat to the backing plate/pad...

Does the GG6 help avoid this problem if one uses the original backing plate that comes with it?

VISITOR
12-13-2015, 09:14 PM
Does the GG6 help avoid this problem if one uses the original backing plate that comes with it?

the GG6 when kept flat on the surface on speeds 5-6 is very hard to stop and the torque/power on this little beast just keeps going. if you're running smaller backing plates/pads on the highest speed settings it will generate heat quicker (applies to just about any DA). you can always monitor/feel the pad/panel as you work along just to make sure. switch out pads often as well...

Eldorado2k
12-13-2015, 09:33 PM
So same results with the original 6" backing plate.