PDA

View Full Version : Swirls returning after paint correction

Pages : [1] 2 3

depotSTI
12-13-2015, 09:51 AM
So about a month ago i did a full correction on my sti and it looked amazing. Since then ive just been maintaining with weekly washes and then wipe down with chemical guys quick detailer sealant spray. I was in the direct sun yesterday and noticed swirls/scratches had returned! See pic below, this honestly makes it look way worse than it is but is a good representation. What am i doing wrong maintaining?!

SeanChav
12-13-2015, 10:36 AM
what all did u use in ur correction session?

Coopers ST
12-13-2015, 10:56 AM
What is your wash/dry process?

Dan Tran
12-13-2015, 10:57 AM
what all did u use in ur correction session?

Did you use a type of sealant/wax?

fly07sti
12-13-2015, 11:36 AM
Looks like toweling marks to me. Which MF's are you using to wipe it down with?

depotSTI
12-13-2015, 12:34 PM
Meguires cut compound and gtechniq seal.

After correction looking mint

After seal reflection was amazing

Due to my current living situation i bring the car to a touchless wash and get a wash and dry. I then drive the car back to my garage and blow down with the blowmaster to remove any remaining water. Then its chemical guys v07 on the entire car. I use mostly the exterior work horse micro fibers with a couple of the autozone specials mixed in...could that be causing it? Thanks for the help

SeanChav
12-13-2015, 12:38 PM
from what I've read Subaru have soft paint....and those work horse towels also aren't very good quality, especially for drying....I think UR damaging it from a combination of those towels and the cars soft paint

Kamakaz1961
12-13-2015, 12:57 PM
IMO Washing and Drying is the most important technique to learn. I too, was in the same boat you were. IMO the less you touch your ride the better off. That being said I figured out what I was doing wrong and it was my drying technique. I no longer use a DRY MF Towel. I use a damp MF Towel to dry.

Try that and you will see and feel the difference. Since I changed my drying technique I have not experienced any swirls on my ride. And it is Black too!

RPM_BR
12-13-2015, 01:13 PM
You could try sinthetic chamois.

depotSTI
12-13-2015, 01:14 PM
Thanks.

My drying technique usually only involves forced air from the master blaster though. I am assuming i am doing something wrong as i apply the vo7?

RPM_BR
12-13-2015, 01:21 PM
Touchless wash and soft paint are a tricky combination.

Maybe you should coat it instead of seal it.

Bus_Driver
12-13-2015, 01:28 PM
In what motion are you applying the v07? Circular, horizontal, vertical? Next time, apply in only vertical motion and if vertical marks appear, then good chance that is the culprit.

Ricorocks
12-13-2015, 01:58 PM
I've seen this before, during paint correction, it becomes very difficult to almost impossible to see, see problems. Product can fill, the tiny valleys, of defects thus masking/hiding the defect. I use after corrective action Menzerna final inspection, so as to remove, any product masking the defect.

fly07sti
12-13-2015, 02:03 PM
Meguires cut compound and gtechniq seal.

After correction looking mint

After seal reflection was amazing

Due to my current living situation i bring the car to a touchless wash and get a wash and dry. I then drive the car back to my garage and blow down with the blowmaster to remove any remaining water. Then its chemical guys v07 on the entire car. I use mostly the exterior work horse micro fibers with a couple of the autozone specials mixed in...could that be causing it? Thanks for the help

Having owned 2 Sti's and working on a half dozen or so , they all have had soft paint IME. I've also seen and touched the work horse towels from CG, so I would bet that's what's causing the marring/swirling on your car. I'd suggest upgrading getting some nicer MF's for your paint and demote the workhorses to interior work.

AGOatemywallet
12-13-2015, 02:15 PM
Either the swirls were never actually removed and were only filled by the oils in your polish

Or

The "Touchless" guys are scratching the paint as they dry it with cheap/dirty towels