PDA

View Full Version : What should I do?

Pages : [1] 2

tone357
12-12-2015, 11:39 PM
Ok, I am about as noob as can be. I just bought and used for the first time my PC. In my rush to get my feet wet, I buffed my Ram with Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion. I went ahead and followed that with Souveran paste.

Now I realized that I should have followed up with a sealant or finishing glaze. My question is, would it be ok to strip the Souveran with Dawn, then seal and follow up with wax? Or should I use the Cleansing Lotion and start from the top again?

Setec Astronomy
12-12-2015, 11:44 PM
You're fine. There's leventy-seven ways to skin the detailing cat; you didn't do anything "wrong". Do you already have a sealant you planned to use?

custmsprty
12-12-2015, 11:50 PM
Why strip it off? Just redo it in a couple months, the wax should last at least 6 weeks if it's outside 24/7.

PS Dawn is old, old, old school, there is no need to use it to "strip waxes".

tone357
12-13-2015, 12:11 AM
You're fine. There's leventy-seven ways to skin the detailing cat; you didn't do anything "wrong". Do you already have a sealant you planned to use?

I just so happen to have a bottle of Pinnacle Black Label Sealant.

tone357
12-13-2015, 12:13 AM
Why strip it off? Just redo it in a couple months, the wax should last at least 6 weeks if it's outside 24/7.

PS Dawn is old, old, old school, there is no need to use it to "strip waxes".Why strip it off? I was thinking that in order to get the absolute best results, I would need the sealant or finishing glaze. Am I wrong?

custmsprty
12-13-2015, 12:14 AM
Why strip it off? I was thinking that in order to get the absolute best results, I would need the sealant or finishing glaze. Am I wrong?

Souveran is an exceptional product on it's own, you just don't get the longevity of a sealant.

tone357
12-13-2015, 12:25 AM
Souveran is an exceptional product on it's own, you just don't get the longevity of a sealant.

Understood. Thanks.

custmsprty
12-13-2015, 12:38 AM
The PBL Sealant is awesome too, on it's own or with Souveran on top. Personally I didn't see any measurable gain by topping the PBL sealant with any wax, it has amazing gloss properties on it's own.

tone357
12-13-2015, 01:23 AM
The PBL Sealant is awesome too, on it's own or with Souveran on top. Personally I didn't see any measurable gain by topping the PBL sealant with any wax, it has amazing gloss properties on it's own.
Thanks

tone357
12-13-2015, 12:38 PM
I may just go ahead and strip it off with the PC, just to get a bit more experience before I tackle my black Corvette. I definitely don't want to mess it up. The paint is in excellent shape and I want to keep it that way. I just want the deepest richest shine I can get on it.

cardaddy
12-27-2015, 07:31 PM
I just so happen to have a bottle of Pinnacle Black Label Sealant.

Just noticed Tony that you said you said you buffed your RAM with the PBL Surface Cleansing Polish. That 'polish' isn't a polish AT ALL in the sense of compounds and polishes. It's meant to strip the surface of any residual polishing oils left over from compounding and polishing. I think I mentioned to you last Spring how much of a PITA it is. It'll clean the surface, but it is HORRIBLE to get off if you don't wipe it off INSTANTLY as soon as you apply it.

For applying the PBL 'sealant' you really don't even need the surface cleansing polish.... it's more for when you want to apply the PBL 'coating'. (FWIW... I've been using that coating since it first came out, looks great, works great.) That black Camry I showed you... it had the PBL coating on it. :)

tone357
12-28-2015, 12:26 AM
Just noticed Tony that you said you said you buffed your RAM with the PBL Surface Cleansing Polish. That 'polish' isn't a polish AT ALL in the sense of compounds and polishes. It's meant to strip the surface of any residual polishing oils left over from compounding and polishing. I think I mentioned to you last Spring how much of a PITA it is. It'll clean the surface, but it is HORRIBLE to get off if you don't wipe it off INSTANTLY as soon as you apply it.

For applying the PBL 'sealant' you really don't even need the surface cleansing polish.... it's more for when you want to apply the PBL 'coating'. (FWIW... I've been using that coating since it first came out, looks great, works great.) That black Camry I showed you... it had the PBL coating on it. :)
Ok, thanks CD.

expdetailing
12-28-2015, 01:11 AM
Typically, the order goes: polish, glaze, sealant , wax. Although, some forego the glaze so the sealant will adhere better.

Mike Phillips
12-28-2015, 08:12 AM
Let me see if I can add anything to this thread...

Ok, I am about as noob as can be. I just bought and used for the first time my PC.

In my rush to get my feet wet, I buffed my Ram with Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion.

I went ahead and followed that with Souveran paste.

Now I realized that I should have followed up with a sealant or finishing glaze.

Actually machine applying the Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion (a non-abrasive paint cleaner), and then applying the Pinnacle Souveran Past Wax is a perfectly acceptable combination.

There is no need to follow the application of the wax with a sealant and don't assume a glaze is a finishing product as some glazes are waxes, some glazes are sealants and some glazes are actually abrasive polishes.

Here's a tip...

Don't judge a product by the name of the bottle judge a product by what the product actually does.

There are no rules, regulations, laws or or even industry standards as to what words any company can use to describe their product and the words,

Polish
Glaze

Are used to describe all types of products that are not actually polishes or glazes.

My question is, would it be ok to strip the Souveran with Dawn, then seal and follow up with wax?

Or should I use the Cleansing Lotion and start from the top again?

I'd let it go until you're ready to do another detailing session on this vehicle.

Why strip it off?

I was thinking that in order to get the absolute best results, I would need the sealant or finishing glaze.

Am I wrong?

See what I wrote above plus... enjoy the wax finish for now and drive on...

Just noticed Tony that you said you said you buffed your RAM with the PBL Surface Cleansing Polish.

That 'polish' isn't a polish AT ALL in the sense of compounds and polishes. It's meant to strip the surface of any residual polishing oils left over from compounding and polishing.

Actually he wrote that he used the Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion and this is NOT the same product as the Pinnacle Black Label Cleansing Polish. Two very different products chemical-wise but "yes" they both only chemically clean the surface as they are both non-abrasive.

Typically, the order goes:
polish,
glaze,
sealant ,
wax.

Although, some forego the glaze so the sealant will adhere better.

The above is correct and forgoing the glaze could be the right thing to do depending upon what the "glaze" actually is. For example Wolfgang Finishing Glaze is NOT a glaze it's a fine cut polish. It would be perfectly acceptable to apply a sealant directly to the paint immediately after applying and removing the Wolfgang Fine Cut Polish (Finishing Glaze).

Here's a normal list of steps in order for an average full exterior detail.

1. Wash and dry.

2. Inspect paint for above surface bonded contaminants and swirls and scratches.

3. Clay or mechanically decontaminate if needed.
(your paint inspections tells you if you need to do this)

4. Polish or compound and Polish to remove swirls, scratches, water spots and oxidation.
(your paint inspections tells you if you need to do this)

5. Seal the paint surface.
Use a car wax or a synthetic paint sealant or a paint coating. You only need to do one of these as they all do the same thing, they seal the paint.

Options
During the washing step you can as an option

Chemically decontaminate the paint.
Mechanically decontaminate the paint.

If anyone reading this into the future does not understand what these two steps are then simply ask.

:)

cardaddy
12-28-2015, 04:31 PM
Actually he wrote that he used the Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion and this is NOT the same product as the Pinnacle Black Label Cleansing Polish. Two very different products chemical-wise but "yes" they both only chemically clean the surface as they are both non-abrasive.....

Ooooootay....

As they say Poe-Tay-Toe - - - Puh-TaH-Toe... :D

At least both are Pinnacle, both are "non-abrasive" and both "only chemically clean the surface". ;) I just pray that the former isn't near the pita to deal with as the PBL product is. :eek: :D

End of the day... Tony was able to come by and we addressed his water spots. They're light "type 2" spots and thankfully haven't severely etched the clear, haven't touched the base coat at all (thankfully) and didn't need a really heavy cut, or a lot of time to correct. That's a GOOD thing! :dblthumb2: