PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose a coating for next year

Pages : [1] 2

Calendyr
12-11-2015, 11:36 PM
So I just closed for winter. I am now in the process of planning next year's packages and services.

I am really impressed with Carpro Essence and plan to use that as my AIO package.

I need to find a coating that is compatible with it and that is not ridiculously expensive. So far DP's coating seems interesting; it costs less than a 100$ for a bottle and it can do 15-20 cars with 1 bottle. The question is: is it compatible with Essence?

I looked at Cquarts products, no way I am gonna pay 100$ for one application, they are crazy to charge that much for a product that only lasts 2 years. Same goes for Optimum Glosscoat... these guys are too greedy!

I would love to use Opti-guard but don't have the volume to become authorised for it unfortunately. Also I read it was not compatible with Essence ;(

So, any suggestions for a coating that is a good value both in terms of durability and cost and that would be compatible with Essence?

If the only coatings compatible with essence is Cquarts then what coating would you recommend that I can use after a normal polishing and wipedown?

I so wish that Opticoat 2.0 was still available ;(

The Guz
12-11-2015, 11:45 PM
I recommend you watch this thread. Maybe one of these will fit your needs.

5 Coating Adhesion Test to CarPro Essence Review! (http://www.autopia.org/forums/detailing-product-reviews/183184-5-coating-adhesion-test-carpro-essence-review.html)

Busy mind
12-11-2015, 11:53 PM
Cquartz UK can be found for under $40 and the regular Cquartz isn't $100. Each bottle will last for a couple cars. Product cost is anywhere from $20-40 per vehicle. Add that price into your coating package.

Calendyr
12-12-2015, 12:06 AM
I recommend you watch this thread. Maybe one of these will fit your needs.

5 Coating Adhesion Test to CarPro Essence Review! (http://www.autopia.org/forums/detailing-product-reviews/183184-5-coating-adhesion-test-carpro-essence-review.html)

Thank you, I am eager to see the results after a few weeks.

That article reminded me of Wolfgang's new coating... have to look into that one, it had completely slipped my mind.

Calendyr
12-12-2015, 12:12 AM
Cquartz UK can be found for under $40 and the regular Cquartz isn't $100. Each bottle will last for a couple cars. Product cost is anywhere from $20-40 per vehicle. Add that price into your coating package.

CQuartz Ceramic Quartz Paint Protection, CQuartz nano coating, nano paint sealant (http://www.autogeek.net/cquartz-50ml-kit.html)

Price: 75,99$ (with shipping and duty to Canada that will come to about 150 CAN$)

Description: The 50 ml. CQuartz is enough to coat a standard to large size car. Apply very thin and evenly.

So even if you can stretch it out to do 2 cars, that's 75$ per car.

If it was a permanent product like Opti-Guard, it would not be so bad... but it's not, it's a 2 year product.

FinishingTouchA
12-12-2015, 01:27 AM
I've fallen in love with the ease of use of PBL,

Chris Thomas
12-13-2015, 12:21 AM
With all due respect, Gloss-CoatŪ is about $30-40 bucks per 2-year application.

Calendyr
12-16-2015, 06:02 AM
With all due respect, Gloss-CoatŪ is about $30-40 bucks per 2-year application.

Hum... I just checked the store (had not done that since the product came out) and the price is lower than it was but if you don't count the current discount it's 60 US$ for one application. So for me here in Canada after currency conversion, shipping and duty it's goanna be over a 100$ for sure.

But even so, if you only look at the US market how do you calculate 30-40$ per car when the syringe only allows you to do 1 vehicle and it costs 60$?

Anyhow, many people from Optimum have stated that their coatings are not compatible with Essence so it's irrelevant, unfortunately.

Boejoula
12-16-2015, 07:09 AM
CQuartz Ceramic Quartz Paint Protection, CQuartz nano coating, nano paint sealant (http://www.autogeek.net/cquartz-50ml-kit.html)

If it was a permanent product like Opti-Guard, it would not be so bad... but it's not, it's a 2 year product.

From what I've read, it has a 2 year warranty but if maintained properly it will last many more.

parttimer
12-16-2015, 08:52 AM
Wow, you Canadians have it rough due to taxes. I will say I have tried four coatings so far, one was PBL V1 which I was not impresses with at all. I wasn't going try v2 since I have used several others I am happy with. I have used CQUK, Americoat, and Kamikaze coatings.
I applied UK to several, 3 of which I see on a routine basis. My ex's mini van, parked mostly outside, after a wash, beads great. Americoat is a product I have been VERY happy with, looks great, easy application and slicker than snot, I think it leaves a slicker finish than any other coating I have used, even better than Kamikaze coatings.
My 300 is coated with ISM and Miyabi, the entire vehicle. When it comes time to wash it, I hit it with the hose and the water falls off it, its is amazing. My Durango has Kamikaze ISM and Miyabi on the bulk of it and Americoat on the roof. Odd I know, but i wasn't about to waste $200 worth of coating for an area never seen, I however did want it coated.
There is a difference in feeling between Kamikaze and Americoat, a feeling you can actually feel when wiping MF towels across it. I have applied Gloss Coat, V1, but I have no follow up info as it was a mobile detail for someone over an hour away. I have only applied it once and used 3/4 of the tube, some say they can get like 3-4 cars out of a tube but I have NO IDEA how. I'd say I got about 3-4 cars out of the bottle CQUK, same holds true for the Americoat. PBL will give you several applications out of one bottle, but again I have not tested v2. Best of luck on whatever you pick, for the most part I don't think you can go wrong with anything on the market, I know there are tons.

AGOatemywallet
12-16-2015, 07:09 PM
You should be charging at least $300 to coat a car, not counting the charges for the prep/polish

I really like CQuartz UK with Essence as the prep polish. Love the fact that I no longer have to do an Eraser or IPA wipedown after the paint is perfect...makes me pucker

My experience with this combo is one vehicle, but I have used UK solo on several vehicles

whavens
12-16-2015, 09:25 PM
I just coated a 2007 Corvette and was generous in my application and easily have enough to do 3 more large cars. I bought a 30 ml bottle. I would say out of a 50 ml bottle you could get at least 5 large sedans or 3 SUVs.

I did my girlfriend's Mini Countryman with a 10 ml syringe of Gloss Coat and have enough left to do it again.

Walter

AGOatemywallet
12-16-2015, 09:48 PM
OP

On your website you have this, "It is a ceramic clear coating very similar to factory type clear coats. A layer of coating measures approx. 2 microns in thickness, ..."

For this to be true, you should be using 30ml of whatever coating you choose

Calendyr
12-16-2015, 10:18 PM
OP

On your website you have this, "It is a ceramic clear coating very similar to factory type clear coats. A layer of coating measures approx. 2 microns in thickness, ..."

For this to be true, you should be using 30ml of whatever coating you choose

The info on my website was a copy/paste of the tech sheet for Opti Coat 2.0 from 2 or 3 years ago. I only have a little left and since I plan to use Essence to prep surfaces before coating I will very likely have to go with Cquartz unless I find info about an other coating that is compatible. When I switch the info on the website will be changed to reflect what ever coating I will be using.

Calendyr
12-16-2015, 10:20 PM
I just coated a 2007 Corvette and was generous in my application and easily have enough to do 3 more large cars. I bought a 30 ml bottle. I would say out of a 50 ml bottle you could get at least 5 large sedans or 3 SUVs.

Walter

Are you talking about the 30 ml bottle of Cquartz?

If so, that is good to know. I don't understand they state it can only do a small to mid-size car if it can actually do 4 cars... ?