PDA

View Full Version : Recently painted 1966 Mustang need help

Pages : [1] 2

lu2677
12-11-2015, 02:57 PM
Hi Mike,
The car was returned to us from the painter with polishing compound all over the car. Stripped to bare metal, body work, primed, painted with Prowler Orange paint, 3 coats of clear coat.
We hand washed the car, to reveal many issues. Dirt in paint, bubbles, swirl marks, and over spray looks like primer. (Over spray on all parts of painted areas, and our new mag wheels, and bumpers, not a little, a lot.) There are some areas of compound that we could not remove with washing. After we washed it my nephew used a polishing compound applied by hand. It did not remove the over spray. What steps should we take to get the paint looking presentable. We do not want the man that restored the car to ever work on it. I am a big fan of the clay bar, I used it on my daily driver last year. The light did not help, I am waiting for the aggressive type to be delivered. What else do we need to do? Thanks for your help and knowledge.

Setec Astronomy
12-11-2015, 03:02 PM
I'm sure Mike will chime in when he has time, but he's fond of saying something along the lines of "it's the guy that does the cut and buff who makes the paint job", and sometimes that guy isn't the painter.

Do you know if the painter sanded between coats of clear or after?

7PaintGuns
12-11-2015, 03:29 PM
Hot hot hot water for the compound. You going to have to fashion a few make shift tools to get into all the cracks and crevasses, with a towell wrapped around it. If your aggressive clay bar doesn't work you may have to wet sand the primer off. Primer on fresh paint is tricky. I would take as many pictures of the vehicle as possible to document any damage just in case. When I was in the clean up department at our shop, the painters and helpers didn't bother to wipe ANY compound out of anything. I definitely feel your pain! Good luck and be patient! Feel free pm me. I'm sure Mike will have lots of info.

refreshauto
12-11-2015, 03:36 PM
Clay it and also try mineral spirits to remove any over spray

lu2677
12-11-2015, 03:59 PM
Hot hot hot water for the compound. You going to have to fashion a few make shift tools to get into all the cracks and crevasses, with a towell wrapped around it. If your aggressive clay bar doesn't work you may have to wet sand the primer off. Primer on fresh paint is tricky. I would take as many pictures of the vehicle as possible to document any damage just in case. When I was in the clean up department at our shop, the painters and helpers didn't bother to wipe ANY compound out of anything. I definitely feel your pain! Good luck and be patient! Feel free pm me. I'm sure Mike will have lots of info.

Thanks, the tough areas are where the top meets the bright trim around side window areas for compound. Your suggestion is noted.

lu2677
12-11-2015, 04:09 PM

Thanks, the tough areas are where the top meets the bright
trim around side window areas for compound. Your suggestion is noted.
I am having trouble replying to the other posts.

lu2677
12-11-2015, 04:17 PM
Astronomy; the painter did all body work, he told us the car was buffed and wet sanded 3 times.
7 paint guns; Thanks. It has been painful.
refresh auto; Thanks. Duely noted.

lu2677
12-11-2015, 04:25 PM
((((I was told the buffing would take over spray off. In my inexperienced female mind it seems buffing would just grind the primer into the paint. The car was painted in April of this year.

7PaintGuns
12-11-2015, 04:39 PM
((((I was told the buffing would take over spray off. In my inexperienced female mind it seems buffing would just grind the primer into the paint. The car was painted in April of this year.

That's why I would try to sand it off with some 2500 wet sanding paper with a firm, but not hard block. The primer has most likely etched itself into the clear and won't come off with clay or chemicals. Where are you located btw?

Mike Phillips
12-11-2015, 05:15 PM
I'd like to say I'm shocked!

But I'm not.... and I do feel your pain....

Probably the wisest choice is to never take it back to this painter as it's obvious he doesn't have a clue as to how to work on paint after it comes out of the paint booth.

My guess is the paint is a swirled-out mess and by this I mean the guy used a rotary buffer and left holograms everywhere in the paint.

Here's how I would tackle it and I tackled a black Corvette with this same type of issues just recently, that is it had overspray paint over the entire car, paint, glass, trim, etc. and was horribly swirls out by the mis-use of a rotary buffer.

1969 Corvette Stingray - Cobra Clay Mitt Review (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/new-car-care-products/95956-1969-corvette-stingray-cobra-clay-mitt-review.html)

Bonded Contaminants
Besides horrible holograms after doing the Baggie Test I found the paint was also contaminated. I used some detailing clay to gauge how bad the contamination was.

The contamination you see below was collected off the paint after claying only one half of the deck lid.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=100923

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=100919

The good news is you can fix it....

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=100926

:xyxthumbs:

Mike Phillips
12-11-2015, 05:23 PM
Here's what I would do....

First do your best to get any compound splatter out of the cracks and crevices. You don't want to be doing this AFTER you polish the paint to perfection. I wouldn't worry about getting his compound or polish splatter off the surface of the paint as when you compound you'll remove this at the same time. Get as much as you can off but don't sweat the little stuff.

Next I would do like I showed in the Corvette detail, get either the Cobra Clay Mitt or a Nanoskin towel and rub all the paint, glass and any other hard surface with this tool. It works like clay but does a better job faster.

Take my word for it... the black Corvette above was BAD and the Cobra Clay Mitt made fast work of removing the overspray and restoring a smooth as silk feel that passed the baggie test.

Next you're going to need to machine compound, polish and wax the paint.

I say "compound" because my guess is the swirls the painter left in will be deep enough that a polish won't do the job. Might as well get in there and do it right the second time.

Then follow this with machine polishing.

After you have polished the paint to perfect you need to seal the paint surface and you can do this with a car wax, a synthetic paint sealant or a paint coating. These three categories of products all do the same thing, they seal the surface and you only need to do one.

Waxes and sealants are the easiest way to go and you can also machine apply these products.

What's your background for machine polishing?
Do you own any type of polisher?
What do you have for compounds, polishes and waxes?
Do you have a copy of any of my books or DVD's?

Sorry to hear of your experience.... sad to say this happens all to often. Happy to say I have painters and painter's helpers attend my ACR 3-Day detailing classes and this fixes this type of problem for their customers.

:)

lu2677
12-11-2015, 05:54 PM
That's why I would try to sand it off with some 2500 wet sanding paper with a firm, but not hard block. The primer has most likely etched itself into the clear and won't come off with clay or chemicals. Where are you located btw?

I just now saw your location! Central Oho too.

7PaintGuns
12-11-2015, 05:58 PM
I just now saw your location! Central Oho too.
You have got to be kidding! What end of town are you in?

7PaintGuns
12-11-2015, 06:00 PM
Sorry to hear of your experience.... sad to say this happens all to often. Happy to say I have painters and painter's helpers attend my ACR 3-Day detailing classes and this fixes this type of problem for their customers.

:)
So am I Mike, so am I.:(

lu2677
12-11-2015, 06:42 PM
I'd like to say I'm shocked!

But I'm not.... and I do feel your pain....

Probably the wisest choice is to never take it back to this painter as it's obvious he doesn't have a clue as to how to work on paint after it comes out of the paint booth.

My guess is the paint is a swirled-out mess and by this I mean the guy used a rotary buffer and left holograms everywhere in the paint.

Here's how I would tackle it and I tackled a black Corvette with this same type of issues just recently, that is it had overspray paint over the entire car, paint, glass, trim, etc. and was horribly swirls out by the mis-use of a rotary buffer.

1969 Corvette Stingray - Cobra Clay Mitt Review (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/new-car-care-products/95956-1969-corvette-stingray-cobra-clay-mitt-review.html)

Bonded Contaminants
Besides horrible holograms after doing the Baggie Test I found the paint was also contaminated. I used some detailing clay to gauge how bad the contamination was.

The contamination you see below was collected off the paint after claying only one half of the deck lid.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=100923

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=100919

The good news is you can fix it....

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=100926

:xyxthumbs:
I wrote a reply to Mike's post but it did not post. I will try again later.