PDA

View Full Version : Newbie from Oregon

Pages : [1] 2

Barclay
12-10-2015, 07:36 PM
I've been lurking at all the info on here--well, almost all. My eyes are ready to bleed and it gets confusing after a while if you're not in the business. So, as an average homeowner with two neglected cars and a nice high end motorhome, I will read slowly, seek advice for equipment, and read up on techniques of the trade. I'm hoping you all are as friendly as the banjo forum I belong to--I suspect you will be. :-) Feed back please

DaveT435
12-10-2015, 07:44 PM
Welcome!! Cars and a Motorhome...and Flex machines 25% off. I haven't done any motor homes. I would imagine your going to want a pretty powerful machine like the Flex 3401 for a DA or a Flex PE 14 for a rotary.

Kamakaz1961
12-10-2015, 08:02 PM
Welcome to AGO!

Barclay
12-10-2015, 08:05 PM
Starting question: Is the Flex 3401 too much to handle for a newbie? I started some side panels by hand and that isn't going to cut it. Thx

Kamakaz1961
12-10-2015, 08:20 PM
Starting question: Is the Flex 3401 too much to handle for a newbie? I started some side panels by hand and that isn't going to cut it. Thx

IMO No especially for a motorhome. IMO there is no other DA out there that is as powerul and "forced Rotational" DA. Soon, Flex will have another FR Sister. You can learn and have no issues. Get Mike Phillips book on How to use the Flex. That alone will do you wonders in the polishing techniques.

Rupes and The Boss are the other 2 systems I would look into. They might not be a "forced Rotational" DA but they do kick some serious booty!!

You can't go wrong with either, however, the Pink Flex 3401 VRG is going for $299. That alone would make my decision very easy.

If I were you JUMP ON THAT ASAP! If there was no sale....then you would have to decide on the other 2 brands.

DaveT435
12-10-2015, 09:03 PM

It's not too much. As mentioned read Mike's book. There may be a little learning curve, but your going to have that with any machine. It is an incredible machine.

DetailDrivenEugene
12-10-2015, 09:53 PM
Welcome to ag!
Where in Oregon are you? I'm sure if you are close to another member, they would let you try out a machine to get a feel for it. If you are close to Eugene, you are welcome to give mine a go. I have a 3401, a pe8, and my trusty 15 year old Porter cable rotary(that I will never get rid of).

B

DaveT435
12-10-2015, 10:03 PM
Welcome to ag!
Where in Oregon are you? I'm sure if you are close to another member, they would let you try out a machine to get a feel for it. If you are close to Eugene, you are welcome to give mine a go. I have a 3401, a pe8, and my trusty 15 year old Porter cable rotary(that I will never get rid of).

B

Never say never...take a PE 14 for a test run lol

Barclay
12-10-2015, 10:15 PM
OK, guys, thanks for the suggestions from rainy Oregon City, OR. I ordered the pink Flex and just by chance, I entered the discount code for being a newbie and got an additional 15% off. That is a sweet deal. I'm sure I'll have more questions after I'm done reading and watching the videos.

jarred767
12-10-2015, 10:46 PM
Welcome to the forums!!! I'm over in Bend, Oregon. It's always good to see other guys from the PNW in here. There is an absolute ton of info in here. Take your time and you can learn whatever you want.

Just be careful, that's the approach I took 10 years ago over the Meguiars forum and it turned into a whole lot more. In other words, it can be addicting :D

FinishingTouchA
12-11-2015, 12:15 AM
I'm with Jarred, welcome to the forum. I'm near Salem, Oregon. If you ever have any questions about PNW detailing feel free to PM, call, or text me. Take it slow diving into AG life, soon you'll be posting huge orders in the unboxing thread lol

AutowerxDetailing
12-11-2015, 01:09 AM
Welcome to the forum, neighbor! There is a TON of information to soak up here that covers pretty much everything from basic car care to show-car level detailing.

One thing you will find is that people on here us a LOT of lingo and crazy abbreviations. If you don't know what something stands for, absolutely feel free to ask in the thread for more info or a better explanation. We're a helpful group who share a common passion!

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
12-11-2015, 01:27 AM
Welcome to AutoGeekOnline!

WRAPT C5Z06
12-11-2015, 07:59 AM
Starting question: Is the Flex 3401 too much to handle for a newbie?
No. As a matter of fact, it takes less technique than a free spinning DA like the Rupes. With the 3401, you'll get constant pad rotation which equals more consistent results.

I ordered the pink Flex and just by chance, I entered the discount code for being a newbie and got an additional 15% off.
That is one hell of a deal on the 3401!! Congrats.

Pats300zx
12-11-2015, 11:58 AM
Welcome to AGO !!!